Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Appollo MVP4/VIA VT8501 On-Board Sound Problem

Appollo MVP4/VIA VT8501 On-Board Sound Problem

Richard Clemance

A friend has a PC Company computer with the Appollo MVP4/VIA VT8501
motherboard with on-board sound. He might not have the right drivers
installed, because the volume of the sound is very low and cannot be
increased.

We have tried the normal Windows 98 volume controls, which are set at
near maximum. Also the keyboard volume control is near the maximum
volume.

We have tried downloading drivers which are supposed to be the right
one.

Can anyone help? Hope so!

Bee and Baloo

Are your speakers powered? Modern sound cards do not drive unpowered
speakers at a reasonable volume. To me it would seem that you have the
right drivers if there is sound - just not amplifed.

hth

Baloo
"Richard Clemance" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A friend has a PC Company computer with the Appollo MVP4/VIA VT8501
> motherboard with on-board sound. He might not have the right drivers
> installed, because the volume of the sound is very low and cannot be
> increased.
>
> We have tried the normal Windows 98 volume controls, which are set at
> near maximum. Also the keyboard volume control is near the maximum
> volume.
>
> We have tried downloading drivers which are supposed to be the right
> one.
>
> Can anyone help? Hope so!

Dave Taylor

"Bee and Baloo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1YiPb.18199$(E-Mail Removed):

> Are your speakers powered? Modern sound cards do not drive unpowered
> speakers at a reasonable volume. To me it would seem that you have the
> right drivers if there is sound - just not amplifed.
>
> hth

I would also just plug a pair of headphones into the speaker jack, do they
get really loud?
Ciao,dave

Richard Clemance

We tried plugging in headphones to the speaker jack but the sound
seems just as low.

The computer had been using powered speakers before the hard drive
reinstall but has unpowered ones on at the moment. But we will give
it a go with the powered ones.

Thanks for your help.