Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > WinXP shutting down?

WinXP shutting down?

Craig Shore

Is there any of telling when and why WinXP has shut down? Perhaps
which process asked it to do it?

I've got a problem that I leave my machine running all the time. It's
connected to the net, behind an ADSL router. The mainboard in it is
new, and Asus A7N8X, and the Widows is a pretty fresh install
(Sunday).

For some reason the bloody thing keeps shutting itself down when i'm
not around. I can't figure out why it would be, and I don't think it
was when I first installed WindowsXP on it. I'm just wondering if
i've installed something else that is doing it. A virus scan comes up
clean. I've got the power scheme set to always on.

I left Asus Prob running and logging tonight. At the time of shutdown,
which appears to be 9:00pm, it was, and had been for ages, reading
around this.
CPU 36 deg, Board 30deg. Fans, CPU 3341rpm , Case 3154rpm.
Voltages were all fine.

It's never shut down while i've been using it, which has been some
lengthly times, only when i'm away from it.

Any ideas what could cause this (remembering it's scanning as virus
free).

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,

> Any ideas what could cause this (remembering it's scanning as virus
> free).

I would use a couple of different virus scanners, and a couple of
different online port scanners. It's surprising how different the
results can be. McAffee picks up stuff on my machine that Norton can't
find ...

If there is any vulnerability on your system, it could be the worm comes
in while you're asleep, tries to reset the machine to do gods knows
what, and, if you are lucky, gets knocked on the head by the av software
in the process or on reboot.

This is just one take on the situation. I've just had a w32 blaster come
through into my system despite it having been scanned as totally
stealthed by Symantec and Sygate portscans online. Go figure.

Could be power oscillations, hardware problems other than mobo or
temperature ... <sigh>

-Peter

John

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:40:56 +1300, Craig Shore
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there any of telling when and why WinXP has shut down? Perhaps
>which process asked it to do it?

Event Log...

SNOman

Craig Shore wrote:
> Is there any of telling when and why WinXP has shut down? Perhaps
> which process asked it to do it?
>
> I've got a problem that I leave my machine running all the time. It's
> connected to the net, behind an ADSL router. The mainboard in it is
> new, and Asus A7N8X, and the Widows is a pretty fresh install
> (Sunday).
>
> For some reason the bloody thing keeps shutting itself down when i'm
> not around. I can't figure out why it would be, and I don't think it
> was when I first installed WindowsXP on it. I'm just wondering if
> i've installed something else that is doing it. A virus scan comes up
> clean. I've got the power scheme set to always on.
>
> I left Asus Prob running and logging tonight. At the time of shutdown,
> which appears to be 9:00pm, it was, and had been for ages, reading
> around this.
> CPU 36 deg, Board 30deg. Fans, CPU 3341rpm , Case 3154rpm.
> Voltages were all fine.
>
> It's never shut down while i've been using it, which has been some
> lengthly times, only when i'm away from it.
>
> Any ideas what could cause this (remembering it's scanning as virus
> free).

Check in your BIOS. I know it's common to have an option for PC startup
but is there a PC shutdown?.........Just a thought as I have not played
with an A7N8X

Edmond Lo

Did you set your machine to do Hibernation?

"Craig Shore" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any of telling when and why WinXP has shut down? Perhaps
> which process asked it to do it?
>
> I've got a problem that I leave my machine running all the time. It's
> connected to the net, behind an ADSL router. The mainboard in it is
> new, and Asus A7N8X, and the Widows is a pretty fresh install
> (Sunday).
>
> For some reason the bloody thing keeps shutting itself down when i'm
> not around. I can't figure out why it would be, and I don't think it
> was when I first installed WindowsXP on it. I'm just wondering if
> i've installed something else that is doing it. A virus scan comes up
> clean. I've got the power scheme set to always on.
>
> I left Asus Prob running and logging tonight. At the time of shutdown,
> which appears to be 9:00pm, it was, and had been for ages, reading
> around this.
> CPU 36 deg, Board 30deg. Fans, CPU 3341rpm , Case 3154rpm.
> Voltages were all fine.
>
> It's never shut down while i've been using it, which has been some
> lengthly times, only when i'm away from it.
>
> Any ideas what could cause this (remembering it's scanning as virus
> free).

steve

Craig Shore wrote:

> For some reason the bloody thing keeps shutting itself down when i'm
> not around. I can't figure out why it would be, and I don't think it
> was when I first installed WindowsXP on it. I'm just wondering if
> i've installed something else that is doing it. A virus scan comes up
> clean. I've got the power scheme set to always on.

I've seen this behaviour on a couple pf PCs recently...and so have others i
have spoken to.

Thge consensus so far is that there is something wrong with the incoming
power supply. Voltage drops or some other interference.

I went out yesterday and bought a UPS. I got tired of my PC re-booting
itself 3-4 times / day.

A mate of mine had the controller on his hard drive fried last week the same
way. The disc recovery expert in Palmerston North who fixed it said he has
been very busy the past week with lots of failures caused by non-specific
(dunno!) power problems.

Craig Shore

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 00:19:42 +1300, steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Craig Shore wrote:
>

>> For some reason the bloody thing keeps shutting itself down when i'm
>> not around. I can't figure out why it would be, and I don't think it
>> was when I first installed WindowsXP on it. I'm just wondering if
>> i've installed something else that is doing it. A virus scan comes up
>> clean. I've got the power scheme set to always on.

>I've seen this behaviour on a couple pf PCs recently...and so have others i
>have spoken to.
>
>Thge consensus so far is that there is something wrong with the incoming
>power supply. Voltage drops or some other interference.
>
>I went out yesterday and bought a UPS. I got tired of my PC re-booting
>itself 3-4 times / day.
>
>A mate of mine had the controller on his hard drive fried last week the same
>way. The disc recovery expert in Palmerston North who fixed it said he has
>been very busy the past week with lots of failures caused by non-specific
>(dunno!) power problems.

Has it been alright since you started using the UPS? I'm suspect
something is wrong with my new mainboard. I left it in POST last
night and it still shut down.