Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Replacing Fans - Is it difficult?

Replacing Fans - Is it difficult?

Wellygoggles

It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC and it
hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups are due to
overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2 years before
needing to be replaced. My PC is 3 years old so perhaps the fan(s) are due
for replacement. Can Mrs Average do this or does it need to go to PC
Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Wellygoggles wrote:
> Can Mrs Average do this or does it need to go to PC
> Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.

Depending on the fan, it is fairly easy to do.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

EMB

"Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KbKOb.17933$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC and it
> hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups are due to
> overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2 years before
> needing to be replaced. My PC is 3 years old so perhaps the fan(s) are

due
> for replacement. Can Mrs Average do this or does it need to go to PC
> Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.

You'd better talk to Roger Sheppard about this. Apparently he's an real
electrician, registered and all, and as such is qualified to delve into
power supplies and fit new fans. Judging by your email address you're
probably not far from Roger so it should be easy to get him to do the job
for you and sign off a Certificate of Compliance for the work.

EMB

Chris

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:buftb6$l99$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KbKOb.17933$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC
>> and it hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups
>> are due to overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2
>> years before needing to be replaced. My PC is 3 years old so perhaps
>> the fan(s) are

> due
>> for replacement. Can Mrs Average do this or does it need to go to PC
>> Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.
>>

> You'd better talk to Roger Sheppard about this. Apparently he's an
> real electrician, registered and all, and as such is qualified to
> delve into power supplies and fit new fans. Judging by your email
> address you're probably not far from Roger so it should be easy to get
> him to do the job for you and sign off a Certificate of Compliance for
> the work.
>
> EMB

OK, I know your joking but I wonder if this lady is thinking the same ? I
wonder if this lady knows who Roger Sheppard (Sheperd) is ? OK, for all I
know she could be a he and is really just trolling. Hell, she could even
be wogger. Are you really that desprate to bait wogger that you feel the
need to hyjack a seamingly inocient by stander ?

(and bugger the spelling, you know what I mean, eh

--
Chris

Chris

"Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:KbKOb.17933$(E-Mail Removed):

> It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC and
> it hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups are
> due to overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2 years
> before needing to be replaced. My PC is 3 years old so perhaps the
> fan(s) are due for replacement. Can Mrs Average do this or does it
> need to go to PC Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.

You might like to try cleaning out the inside of the case first - turn it
off first though. It's amazing the amount of dust that the fans actually
suck in. Use a vacumcleaner and a natural haired brush to loosen the dust
etc and hold the vacumcleaner nozzle to suck out what you loosen with the
brush. A 2" paint brush works well. Make sure it's a natural haired brush
as a nylon one etc will most likely cause a build up of static electricity
which could cause it's own damage.

--
Chris

E.

Wellygoggles wrote:

> It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC and it
> hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups are due to
> overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2 years before
> needing to be replaced. My PC is 3 years old so perhaps the fan(s) are due
> for replacement. Can Mrs Average do this or does it need to go to PC
> Hospital? Thanks in advance for your help.

Depends on the fan. If it's a motherboard, video card or case fan it is
no more than just a fee screws and a power plug.
If it is the power supply fan, replace the power supply. It is easy - a
few screws and plugs.
Do *not* open a power supply if you don't have electrical registration.
E.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Steve Robertson wrote:
> Too many 14 year olds with PC access I guess.(sarcasm)

School holidays finish in a week or so.(no sarcasm)

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

Wellygoggles

I know Woger is a troll here and u dudes despise him, but hey, I am really
Mrs Average in
Miramar (OK at a pinch I call myself a Domestic Goddess) but dudes, ya need
to lighten up and help us net-virgins ok???????
"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:5WLOb.16837$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Steve Robertson wrote:
> > Too many 14 year olds with PC access I guess.(sarcasm)

> School holidays finish in a week or so.(no sarcasm)
>
> --
> Http://www.Dave.net.nz
> Play Hangman
> Register, and play Space Invaders or Pacman.

Wellygoggles

thanks all true men and good
news:400b8674$(E-Mail Removed)...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >It's been cooler in Wellington today & had the window open near PC and it
> >hasn't frozen up ONCE today! Now I am thinking the lock-ups are due to
> >overheating and a friend says fans only last about 1 or 2 years before

> Only usually need to replace the fans if thay are noisey or DEAD
> Set the CPU temp alarm in the bios & see what happens. If the CPU is

overheating
> replace the heatsink & fan & make sure there is good airflow around it (ie

no IDE cable sitting on
> top of it) While you are looking check for buldging/leaking capacitors

Steve Robertson