Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Internet Appallingly Slow Today

Internet Appallingly Slow Today

WriteWord Translations

I'm having a dreadful day with the Internet today. Pages are either not
Explorer bar crawling up to halfway and then stopping!

E-mail is also a bit up and down. So is there a problem with Xtra
(specifically Xtra Jetstream), or are there packets being dropped left right
and centre?

Anyone else experiencing these frustrations? TIA for any enlightenment or
solutions you can provide.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.

WriteWord Translations

Hmm ...

I may have found a solution - turn off Norton Internet Security!

That's not the most ideal solution, but ... now that I've done it, the
Internet seems to be working better.

Does anyone know whether a program like NIS can cause a slowdown in your
browsing? Or is it just coincidence? Certainly, the Net works pretty well
most of the time when I have NIS on.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.

Craig Shore

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:56:15 +1300, "WriteWord Translations"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm having a dreadful day with the Internet today. Pages are either not
>Explorer bar crawling up to halfway and then stopping!
>
>E-mail is also a bit up and down. So is there a problem with Xtra
>(specifically Xtra Jetstream), or are there packets being dropped left right
>and centre?
>
>Anyone else experiencing these frustrations? TIA for any enlightenment or
>solutions you can provide.

Been going fine on Paradise, i've download a heap of stuff from lots
of different places today, including microsoft which I normally find
quite slow.

XPD

"WriteWord Translations" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CLmOb.15473$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmm ...
>
> I may have found a solution - turn off Norton Internet Security!
>
> That's not the most ideal solution, but ... now that I've done it, the
> Internet seems to be working better.
>
> Does anyone know whether a program like NIS can cause a slowdown in your
> browsing? Or is it just coincidence? Certainly, the Net works pretty well
> most of the time when I have NIS on.

Could be holding up your DNS requests etc..... make sure port 53 (i think)
isnt being blocked/examined by NIS.
Ive never used NIS so dont have a clue exactly how it deal with that sort of
thing.

chris

WriteWord Translations wrote:

> Hmm ...
>
> I may have found a solution - turn off Norton Internet Security!
>
> That's not the most ideal solution, but ... now that I've done it, the
> Internet seems to be working better.
>
> Does anyone know whether a program like NIS can cause a slowdown in your
> browsing? Or is it just coincidence? Certainly, the Net works pretty well
> most of the time when I have NIS on.
>
> Best Regards
>
> ROWAN M.

I've seen repeated situations where online performance is severely reduced
by NIS.

Chris