Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dynalink Rural Modems?

Dynalink Rural Modems?

~misfit~

Has anyone got experience with these? I have a friend who has a bad line and
I priced one for him today, $330+!!!! One place quoted him $450.

Seems a bit extreme. Do they help?

TIA,
--
~misfit~

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

~misfit~ wrote:
> Seems a bit extreme. Do they help?

better than cheap modems, but not as great as the price suggests.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

XPD

"~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
news:FXpNb.12436$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone got experience with these? I have a friend who has a bad line

and
> I priced one for him today, $330+!!!! One place quoted him $450.
>
> Seems a bit extreme. Do they help?

Theyre just a tweaked ACFII based hardware modem.
If your friend hasnt already tried an external SERIAL modem (not USB) then I
advise they try a normal one.. if the normal serial based unit is pretty
shite then i highly doubt the Rural version will help much more.

Fuel

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:58:28 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
scribbled:

>Has anyone got experience with these? I have a friend who has a bad line and
>I priced one for him today, $330+!!!! One place quoted him $450.
>
>Seems a bit extreme. Do they help?

I have a Dynalink Rural modem, I didn't realise it was a rural modem
until I looked at the model number. I picked mine up for $20 second
hand. Try trademe or something.

~misfit~

Fuel wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:58:28 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
> scribbled:
>
>> Has anyone got experience with these? I have a friend who has a bad
>> line and I priced one for him today, $330+!!!! One place quoted him
>> $450.
>>
>> Seems a bit extreme. Do they help?

> I have a Dynalink Rural modem, I didn't realise it was a rural modem
> until I looked at the model number. I picked mine up for $20 second
> hand. Try trademe or something.

Give ya $40 for it?
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

XPD wrote:
> "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
> news:FXpNb.12436$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Has anyone got experience with these? I have a friend who has a bad
>> line and I priced one for him today, $330+!!!! One place quoted him
>> $450.
>>
>> Seems a bit extreme. Do they help?

> Theyre just a tweaked ACFII based hardware modem.
> If your friend hasnt already tried an external SERIAL modem (not USB)
> then I advise they try a normal one.. if the normal serial based unit
> is pretty shite then i highly doubt the Rural version will help much
> more.

Hmmm, might have to see if I can find a serial modem and try it first. He's
just been using a succession of winmodems so far.

Thanks.
--
~misfit~

Fuel

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:19:01 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
scribbled:

>Fuel wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 18:58:28 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
>> scribbled:
>>
>>> Has anyone got experience with these? I have a friend who has a bad
>>> line and I priced one for him today, $330+!!!! One place quoted him
>>> $450.
>>>
>>> Seems a bit extreme. Do they help?

>> I have a Dynalink Rural modem, I didn't realise it was a rural modem
>> until I looked at the model number. I picked mine up for $20 second
>> hand. Try trademe or something.

>Give ya $40 for it?

Considering I'm using it right now, and wont be reverting back to my
internal Lucent, no.

~misfit~

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Seems a bit extreme. Do they help?

> better than cheap modems, but not as great as the price suggests.

Yeah, thats what I figured. I mean, I just re-built his PC for him for $600,
Mobo (nForce2 ultra 400, integrated GeForce 4 graphics), CPU (XP2000+), RAM,
case, PSU and HDD (80GB). Seems a bit extreme to spend most of that again on
a modem. I wish his board had an ISA slot, I have a good Dynalink hardware
modem here.
--
~misfit~

collector@junkit.com

~misfit~ wrote:
> Has anyone got experience with these? I have a friend who has a bad line and
> I priced one for him today, $330+!!!! One place quoted him $450.
>
> Seems a bit extreme. Do they help?
>
> TIA,
> --
> ~misfit~

It may or maynot help. The rural modem has been designed to deal with
certain types of line conditions, not all.

In my experiance it helps with 50Hz freq on the line caused by earth
return power systems used a lot in rural districts and with clicks on
the line caused by electric fences, but provides no help with the hash
created by poor line joints and increased line impedance.

Go for a non software modem and then start hassling Telecoms about the
line state.

EMB

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> It may or maynot help. The rural modem has been designed to deal with
> certain types of line conditions, not all.
>
> In my experiance it helps with 50Hz freq on the line caused by earth
> return power systems used a lot in rural districts and with clicks on
> the line caused by electric fences, but provides no help with the hash
> created by poor line joints and increased line impedance.
>
> Go for a non software modem and then start hassling Telecoms about the
> line state.

This is much the same as my experience, but my 3Com 56K external faxmodem
does just as good a job on electric fence noise.

Remember when you hassle Telescum about line quality that you are worried
about the voice quality - for modems/data they will tell you that a 14k4
connect is all they are required to provide (ie fax quality). I got a full
(free) rewire of the house and a new underground cable to the road because
of a crappy line (only for voice of course - the fact that 16k was the
highest data connect was incidental).

EMB