Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Record Labels May Have to Pay Double Royalties

Record Labels May Have to Pay Double Royalties

Lennier

interesting in the light of the recent debate on nz.general...

--
Newsman - on CD piracy: "Entertainment meets Geekery meets Vengeance. It's
unstoppable. A match made in Heaven."

Bruce Simpson

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:06:28 +1300, Lennier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>interesting in the light of the recent debate on nz.general...
>
>Record Labels May Have to Pay Double Royalties
>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/13/1931202

It was also thtr topic of today's Aardvark -- breaking perfectly good
news for nine years

Craig Shore

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:54:02 +1300, Bruce Simpson
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:06:28 +1300, Lennier
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>interesting in the light of the recent debate on nz.general...
>>
>>Record Labels May Have to Pay Double Royalties
>>http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/13/1931202
>>

>It was also thtr topic of today's Aardvark -- breaking perfectly good
>news for nine years

Have a read of this Bruce.
http://www.pro-music.org/viewpoints/speech290703.htm

The Hobbit

"Bruce Simpson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:06:28 +1300, Lennier
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >interesting in the light of the recent debate on nz.general...
> >
> >Record Labels May Have to Pay Double Royalties
> >http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/13/1931202
> >

> It was also thtr topic of today's Aardvark -- breaking perfectly good
> news for nine years

-Breaking- Bruce? I assume you're referring to other articles you've
written as from the date code on the slashdot article it looks like you were
a few days (okay *a* day) later.

I'm still waiting for you to break the news that a polly has been elected
and assigned an IT portfolio who actually **KNOWS** stuff (as opposed to
stuff all) about IT - oh and is prepared to promote it through parliment.

Invisible

You mean they'll have to pay the artists US$2 per unit instead of $1?

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Invisible wrote:
> You mean they'll have to pay the artists US$2 per unit instead of $1?

yep, expect CD prices to double accordingly

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Bruce Simpson

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:37:27 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Invisible wrote:
>> You mean they'll have to pay the artists US$2 per unit instead of $1?

>yep, expect CD prices to double accordingly

And let's not forget that they'll be paying someone royalties for that
copy-protection stuff and the DRM stuff.

It looks as if, even though they may get more money, the artist will
probably get an even lower percentage of the retail price than they
did before.

harry

Invisible wrote:
> You mean they'll have to pay the artists US$2 per unit instead of $1?

Most artists never get paid royalties because the record company contracts
entitle them to recover their advance plus all costs before they have to pay
any.