Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > interesting ADSL info

interesting ADSL info

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

From here.
http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20020718S0002

A story about ADSL2(the sequel)
"In the first-generation ADSL systems on long lines where the data rate
is low (.e.g < 128 kbps), a fixed 32 kbps (or 25% of the total data
rate) is allocated to overhead information. In ADSL2 systems the
overhead data rate can be reduced to 4 kbps, which provides an
additional 28 kbps for payload data."

25% overhead... crap, that sucks, no wonder Jetstart jet-sucks.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

-[Myth]-

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:45:29 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> From here.
> http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20020718S0002
>
> A story about ADSL2(the sequel)
> "In the first-generation ADSL systems on long lines where the data rate
> is low (.e.g < 128 kbps), a fixed 32 kbps (or 25% of the total data
> rate) is allocated to overhead information. In ADSL2 systems the
> overhead data rate can be reduced to 4 kbps, which provides an
> additional 28 kbps for payload data."
>
> 25% overhead... crap, that sucks, no wonder Jetstart jet-sucks.

i think that article is refering to situations where the line is so bad
that the maximum speed is about 128kbps, not when the speed has been
limited to 128k, for example my modem connects at between 5 and 6mbps, it
is telecom who limit this.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

-[Myth]- wrote:
>>25% overhead... crap, that sucks, no wonder Jetstart jet-sucks.

> i think that article is refering to situations where the line is so bad
> that the maximum speed is about 128kbps, not when the speed has been
> limited to 128k, for example my modem connects at between 5 and 6mbps, it
> is telecom who limit this.

yeah, I wondered that just after I posted it, oh well, jetstart still
jetsucks.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz