Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > good guide for XP SP2

good guide for XP SP2

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

I know it hasn't been released yet, but it gives a good idea as to what
it will include... some of the updates are very welcome.

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...rticle&dId=602

Pop-up blocking
Firewall stops outgoing connections too
You can disable portions or all of Active-X
A feature called "Accidental Download installation blocking" which
sounds like a porn dialer blocker type thing.
and a few more.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> I know it hasn't been released yet, but it gives a good idea as to what
> it will include... some of the updates are very welcome.
>
> http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...rticle&dId=602
>
> Pop-up blocking
> Firewall stops outgoing connections too
> You can disable portions or all of Active-X
> A feature called "Accidental Download installation blocking" which
> sounds like a porn dialer blocker type thing.
> and a few more.

or for the correct linkage... go here.
http://www.ipkonfig.com/Articles/WinXPSP2_Info/

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

-[Myth]-

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:23:32 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Firewall stops outgoing connections too

if you need that, then you must be expecting to have trojans and spyware
all through your computer

Mutlley

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>
>> I know it hasn't been released yet, but it gives a good idea as to what
>> it will include... some of the updates are very welcome.
>>
>> http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...rticle&dId=602
>>
>> Pop-up blocking
>> Firewall stops outgoing connections too
>> You can disable portions or all of Active-X
>> A feature called "Accidental Download installation blocking" which
>> sounds like a porn dialer blocker type thing.
>> and a few more.
>>

>or for the correct linkage... go here.
>http://www.ipkonfig.com/Articles/WinXPSP2_Info/

From the site.

"After installing SP2 Windows will ask if you would like to set your
computer to automatically search out critical updates for your version
of Windows (commonly Windows XP series). If you choose 'no', it will
of course ask again a final time, as it is highly recommended."

Another reviewer said the options were "Yes" and "Later". There was
no obvious "No" answer. So I guess all the plebs who install this SP
will click on "Yes" and Billy boy will have access to their PC to do
what he likes..

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

-[Myth]- wrote:
>>Firewall stops outgoing connections too

> if you need that, then you must be expecting to have trojans and spyware
> all through your computer

yeah I know, but it should be good for users who haven't been beaten
with the clue stick yet.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Lebowski

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bu2277$cs6jg$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I know it hasn't been released yet, but it gives a good idea as to what
> it will include... some of the updates are very welcome.
>
> http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...rticle&dId=602
>
> Pop-up blocking
> Firewall stops outgoing connections too
> You can disable portions or all of Active-X
> A feature called "Accidental Download installation blocking" which
> sounds like a porn dialer blocker type thing.
> and a few more.
>
> --

idiot-proofing?

C Petrin

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> From the site.
>
> "After installing SP2 Windows will ask if you would like to set your
> computer to automatically search out critical updates for your version
> of Windows (commonly Windows XP series). If you choose 'no', it will
> of course ask again a final time, as it is highly recommended."
>
> Another reviewer said the options were "Yes" and "Later". There was
> no obvious "No" answer. So I guess all the plebs who install this SP
> will click on "Yes" and Billy boy will have access to their PC to do
> what he likes..

Another fine contribution from the League of the Extraordinarily
Paranoid. Would you get a grip please?! You'd be the first to complain
if Microsoft *didn't* make critical updates easily accessible, and now
you complain when they *do*. It's an option -- take it or leave.
Personally I think it's great -- not anything new BTW, this service has
been available for at least a year, but then an expert like you already
knew that, right?

Enkidu

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:47:01 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:23:32 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
>> Firewall stops outgoing connections too

>if you need that, then you must be expecting to have trojans and spyware
>all through your computer

Just one is enough.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Lebowski wrote:
> idiot-proofing?

either way, I think it will be welcome

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

The Hobbit

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bu2277$cs6jg$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I know it hasn't been released yet, but it gives a good idea as to what
> it will include... some of the updates are very welcome.
>
> http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...rticle&dId=602
>
> Pop-up blocking
> You can disable portions or all of Active-X

It sounds like they're going to put through the IE changes in SP2 that Eolas
are suing them for.
http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...le.php/2247661

Does anyone know how the W3C were/are/did get on - they were planning to
challenge the patent and get it revoked at one stage weren't they?
http://boston.internet.com/news/article.php/3102651

I'd be suprised if it's behaviour turned on by default (or if it's not a
'don't tell me again' kind of thing (ah la the p3p privacy policy stuff)