Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Poor 2D performance with increased screen resolution.

Poor 2D performance with increased screen resolution.

Craig Sutton

"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bu1hqi$cq2jp$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> K & S wrote:
> > It called simple logic that most seem to lack here.

> Roger, you seem to have the most simple logic around here.

You shouldn't dispute the logic of B&S oooops i mean K & S

Alpine Dragon

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:06:32 +1300, "Alpine Dragon"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Alpine Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> >> Intel PIII 550MHz
> >> PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
> >> 512MB PC-100 SD-RAM

> >Sorry, Forgot to mention the operating system is Windows 2000.
> >I have also Scanned for viruses and adware about 4 days ago (normally

done
> >every 2-3 weeks)
> >
> >The choppy performance disappears if I revert back to 1024x768.
> >
> >What I was initially intending to do was to replace my current system

with a
> >new system come new year. But If I can perhaps improve 2D Performance,

by
> >replacing the TNT2 with another video card than perhaps I can delay for
> >awhile and get the new system later on 2nd half of this year instead.
> >

> What colour depth? What is it like at 16-bit? How recent is the
> driver? AGP or PCI?

Alpine Dragon

"GraB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> What colour depth? What is it like at 16-bit? How recent is the
> driver? AGP or PCI?

Oops, accidently Hit Ctrl - Enter earlier

The videocard is an AGP

I'm running it at 16bit color depth, I did try 32bit color depth but
naturally found that too choppy to be usable for anything. When browsing
websites, that have java in particular Hierarcal menus like
http://www.asbsecurities.co.nz , the Mouse pointer really jumps around,
which can make things rather frustrating.

I currently have driver version 52.16 install. However it seems whatever
drivers I use, the choppiness persists

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Alpine Dragon wrote:
> Since upping the screen resolution from 1024 x 768 to 1280 x 1024, I've
> notice a considerable degradation in 2D performance, particularly when
> visiting pages using IE that contain a lots of animated GIFs, Java, Flash.
> It also affects some the other applications as well, resulting the cursor
> often skipping around (choppy mouse pointer movement). Trying to watch
> video clips at full screen will yield similar results with play back
> particularly choppy, however if I resize it to a small box, playback becomes
> smoother.
>
> In the above mention situations, I've noticed that the CPU is constantly
> running at 100%. Currently My system comprises of...
>
> Intel PIII 550MHz
> PixelView nVidia TNT2 32MB.
> 512MB PC-100 SD-RAM
>
> What I would like to know, is it either the CPU, the Videocard or both which
> is struggling? Trying out various Video Drivers yielded some differences in
> performance. In this situation, would upgrading the videocard help?

What vertical refresh rate is your screen at? Higher res screens at
higher refresh rates means more data per second required over the AGP
or PCI bus to keep the video refreshed. If you're running 100Hz or
some high rate you can try to select or create a 1280x1024 mode that
refreshes at 70-80Hz instead. That will relieve the pressure on the
system bus to keep the video card happy, yet not be too flickery...

I run 1600x1200 (GeForceFX 5600 on AGP 8x). When I run the monitor at
85Hz (max refresh for that res) I notice a slowdown, so I run at a
rate of 70Hz instead. That gives me around 4-5% more CPU/system to
burn and doesn't flicker too bad...

--
Kind regards,