Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > router for internet sharing?

Reply
Thread Tools

router for internet sharing?

 
 
K & S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:03:09 +1300, will <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>hi,
>
>Dick Smith has this broadband router
>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH1151
>
>i wonder if it can be used to share dial-up internet connection between
>two machines (without special software)? both machines have network
>cards, and one has a modem.
>
>we used to share internet conneciton via an ADSL router, but we have
>just moved and don't really want to pay another (3rd) $99 connection, so
>we're waiting for Woosh to become available.
>
>thanks
>
>will.




And you will wait for ever..


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
will
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
hi,

Dick Smith has this broadband router
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH1151

i wonder if it can be used to share dial-up internet connection between
two machines (without special software)? both machines have network
cards, and one has a modem.

we used to share internet conneciton via an ADSL router, but we have
just moved and don't really want to pay another (3rd) $99 connection, so
we're waiting for Woosh to become available.

thanks

will.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
SNOman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
K & S wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:03:09 +1300, will <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>hi,
>>
>>Dick Smith has this broadband router
>>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH1151
>>
>>i wonder if it can be used to share dial-up internet connection between
>>two machines (without special software)? both machines have network
>>cards, and one has a modem.
>>
>>we used to share internet conneciton via an ADSL router, but we have
>>just moved and don't really want to pay another (3rd) $99 connection, so
>>we're waiting for Woosh to become available.
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>will.

>
>
>
>
> And you will wait for ever..
>
>

And the hardware will cost you heaps!......it's around $499 isn't it?
 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
SNOman wrote:
>>> we used to share internet conneciton via an ADSL router, but we have
>>> just moved and don't really want to pay another (3rd) $99 connection, so
>>> we're waiting for Woosh to become available.


>> And you will wait for ever..


> And the hardware will cost you heaps!......it's around $499 isn't it?


You would be surprised how far people will go to dodge the entity known
as Telecom.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz
We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
If you are running MS OS's, look into Internet Connection Sharing.
What you are looking at at DSE is more than you need for that because you will
not be using any of its features, just the LAN Switch part of it.
You could just purchase a hub to do this.
To support a shared modem look for something with an external RS232 port on it.
I looked on DSE's site and did not find any routers that support an external modem.
You want something like these products or use Internet Connection Sharing and a cross over cable or hub.

http://www.smc-asia.com/index.php?op...=page&SubMenu=
http://www.3com.com/prod/en_AP_AP/de...s&sku=3C888-US
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
SNOman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> SNOman wrote:
>
>>>> we used to share internet conneciton via an ADSL router, but we have
>>>> just moved and don't really want to pay another (3rd) $99
>>>> connection, so
>>>> we're waiting for Woosh to become available.

>
>
>>> And you will wait for ever..

>
>
>> And the hardware will cost you heaps!......it's around $499 isn't it?

>
>
> You would be surprised how far people will go to dodge the entity known
> as Telecom.
>

I thought that they were referred to as Telescum
 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
SNOman wrote:
>>> And the hardware will cost you heaps!......it's around $499 isn't it?


>> You would be surprised how far people will go to dodge the entity
>> known as Telecom.


> I thought that they were referred to as Telescum


Either way, we all know what is meant.

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz
We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders

 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
"SNOman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btvjcq$9uc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>we're waiting for Woosh to become available.

>>

> And the hardware will cost you heaps!......it's around $499 isn't it?




Its $199 at the moment, might be +GST, can't remember, one of their TV
adverts wooshed pasted a few mins ago

Must annoy those that bought their modems at full price for twice as much
just a couple of month ago, I know I was, still am


 
Reply With Quote
 
T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004
Nathan Mercer wrote:
> Must annoy those that bought their modems at full price for twice as much
> just a couple of month ago, I know I was, still am


How do you find the connection?
Speed?
Reliability?

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz
We have Hangman, Pacman, and Space Invaders

 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard Malcolm-Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-18-2004


T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

>> I thought that they were referred to as Telescum

>
>
> Either way, we all know what is meant.


I sent them a cheque made out to telescum - still presented it, still went
thru.. must be common.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Router--Router--Internet setup not working.... BigAl.NZ@gmail.com Computer Support 8 09-19-2007 04:17 PM
Remote VPN router behind internet access router Markus Marquardt Cisco 3 06-14-2007 07:49 PM
Setting up a router with 29 Global IPs, BUT can't ping router internal interface from server or server interface from router war_wheelan@yahoo.com Cisco 1 12-14-2005 03:31 PM
ReQ; Help having problem with cisco router 1602R the Lan part works cannot log on to configure so PC can access internet, router connects to T1 line thier is an alarm light on anyone can help smokin@aol.com Computer Support 4 10-30-2004 06:06 AM
Slow Internet file download using Cisco Router 1710 + PCI broadband router Sam Cisco 6 12-29-2003 02:51 PM



Advertisments