Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cap's on mainboard looking sad

Cap's on mainboard looking sad

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

harry wrote:
>>Oh no. Cheap Taiwanese copies, take it back to the supplyer. This
>>was written about in the 2003 March issue of PC World magazine.
>>Joy

> What does a capacitor do Joy ?

It capacitises things

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Steve Robertson wrote:
>>>What does a capacitor do Joy ?

>>It capacitises things

> The newest motherboards come with "Flux Capacitors" that enable
> the motherboard to be sent back in time to when it was manufactured
> as part of the warranty process.

Handy... any idea where I can buy one of these "Flux Capacitors"?
I need some for my new in-car computer motherboard, yes, thats it, my
in-car computer...

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

Steve Robertson

>> What does a capacitor do Joy ?

>It capacitises things

The newest motherboards come with "Flux Capacitors" that enable
the motherboard to be sent back in time to when it was manufactured
as part of the warranty process.

Craig Shore

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:26:27 +1300, K & S
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:46:06 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore)
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:33:55 +1300, ac <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>>(E-Mail Removed) says...

>>>Not a Gigabyte board you have there ?

>>EPoX 8KHA+, just over 2 years old.
>>
>>>This looks a lot like the old motherboard capacitor problem, where some
>>>fella did the chemical mix wrong. They look really bad, get the board
>>>fixed under warranty right away. I've seen the 'baked on' look before.

>>See above, well out of warranty.

>No its not, cover under the C.G.A.
>

>>>In my experience with this issue, you may find it all works okay until
>>>you turn your machine off and then try to power it up again.

>>It was off then I took the photo. II was cleaning it and adding in
>>another case fan, it's been a bit hot lately when the room it's in has
>>been peaking at about 37deg C. It's working now as i'm posting this
>>message from it
>>
>>I'll replace them if they're important, any idea what they run?

>You need expensive low ESR Caps, this is the main 3-4 phase Switched mode PSU
>to feed the CPU its VCC.
>
>Get them from Radio Spares or Farnel..
>

>If you use normal caps they will get very hot and end up doing the same
>thing..

On a temporary basis i've replaced those worst ones, which were 2200uF
10v 105degC with some 2200uF 16v 85degC ones. How long is it safe to
leave these in there?

With the mainboard out I discovered that most of the others are ****ed
too. They're starting to bulge at the top. So I need 13 of them
A quick search on Google shows the problem is very widespread.
Everyone else with a mainboard from a couple of years ago should check
it.

And whoever said that they were hard to remove and replace was dead
right. The hole through the mainboard is a very tight fit for the
wires on the cap!

K & S

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 09:43:22 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore)
wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:26:27 +1300, K & S
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:46:06 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore)
>>wrote:

>>>EPoX 8KHA+, just over 2 years old.

>>>See above, well out of warranty.

>>No its not, cover under the C.G.A.

>>>It was off then I took the photo. II was cleaning it and adding in
>>>another case fan, it's been a bit hot lately when the room it's in has
>>>been peaking at about 37deg C. It's working now as i'm posting this
>>>message from it
>>>
>>>I'll replace them if they're important, any idea what they run?

>>You need expensive low ESR Caps, this is the main 3-4 phase Switched mode PSU
>>to feed the CPU its VCC.
>>
>>Get them from Radio Spares or Farnel..
>>

>>If you use normal caps they will get very hot and end up doing the same
>>thing..

>On a temporary basis i've replaced those worst ones, which were 2200uF
>10v 105degC with some 2200uF 16v 85degC ones. How long is it safe to
>leave these in there?

10 seconds, Take them out for heaven sake, you are likely to suff up the mobo
complete, plus the noise on the VCC will be vary high and could make the CPU
unreliable.

>With the mainboard out I discovered that most of the others are ****ed
>too. They're starting to bulge at the top. So I need 13 of them
>A quick search on Google shows the problem is very widespread.
>Everyone else with a mainboard from a couple of years ago should check
>it.
>
>And whoever said that they were hard to remove and replace was dead
>right. The hole through the mainboard is a very tight fit for the
>wires on the cap!

Take the board back and get it replaced..

Pulling these Caps out with out a Pace solder sucker can remove the Plated
through barrel, then kiss the mobo good by..

wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:26:27 +1300, K & S
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:46:06 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore)
>>wrote:

>>>EPoX 8KHA+, just over 2 years old.

>>>See above, well out of warranty.

>>No its not, cover under the C.G.A.

>>>It was off then I took the photo. II was cleaning it and adding in
>>>another case fan, it's been a bit hot lately when the room it's in has
>>>been peaking at about 37deg C. It's working now as i'm posting this
>>>message from it
>>>
>>>I'll replace them if they're important, any idea what they run?

>>You need expensive low ESR Caps, this is the main 3-4 phase Switched mode PSU
>>to feed the CPU its VCC.
>>
>>Get them from Radio Spares or Farnel..
>>

>>If you use normal caps they will get very hot and end up doing the same
>>thing..

>On a temporary basis i've replaced those worst ones, which were 2200uF
>10v 105degC with some 2200uF 16v 85degC ones. How long is it safe to
>leave these in there?
>
>With the mainboard out I discovered that most of the others are ****ed
>too. They're starting to bulge at the top. So I need 13 of them
>A quick search on Google shows the problem is very widespread.
>Everyone else with a mainboard from a couple of years ago should check
>it.
>
>And whoever said that they were hard to remove and replace was dead
>right. The hole through the mainboard is a very tight fit for the
>wires on the cap!

Find the Physical size of these Caps and get a TV repair shop to order some
from Farnel or Radio Spares.

wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:26:27 +1300, K & S
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:46:06 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore)
>>wrote:

>>>EPoX 8KHA+, just over 2 years old.

>>>See above, well out of warranty.

>>No its not, cover under the C.G.A.

>>>It was off then I took the photo. II was cleaning it and adding in
>>>another case fan, it's been a bit hot lately when the room it's in has
>>>been peaking at about 37deg C. It's working now as i'm posting this
>>>message from it
>>>
>>>I'll replace them if they're important, any idea what they run?

>>You need expensive low ESR Caps, this is the main 3-4 phase Switched mode PSU
>>to feed the CPU its VCC.
>>
>>Get them from Radio Spares or Farnel..
>>

>>If you use normal caps they will get very hot and end up doing the same
>>thing..

>On a temporary basis i've replaced those worst ones, which were 2200uF
>10v 105degC with some 2200uF 16v 85degC ones. How long is it safe to
>leave these in there?

The Problem is those are the Main filter caps from the Output of the 3-4 Phase
Switched mode PSU, and it supplies AMP'S lots of it, the Filter caps have to
handle Amps of Ripple current, normal caps can't do this the get very hot and
can explode..

So try the Farnel or Radio Spares Web site and look for Very Low ESR Elec
Caps..

>With the mainboard out I discovered that most of the others are ****ed
>too. They're starting to bulge at the top. So I need 13 of them
>A quick search on Google shows the problem is very widespread.
>Everyone else with a mainboard from a couple of years ago should check
>it.
>
>And whoever said that they were hard to remove and replace was dead
>right. The hole through the mainboard is a very tight fit for the
>wires on the cap!

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Steve Robertson wrote:
>>Handy... any idea where I can buy one of these "Flux Capacitors"?
>>I need some for my new in-car computer motherboard, yes, thats it, my
>>in-car computer...

> Be aware the the old style dont work in cars unless you go over 80mph.

80mph is ~128kmh isnt it? hell, even my corolla did that

--
Dave Hall
http://Dave.net.nz

K & S

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:18:05 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Steve Robertson) wrote:

>>On a temporary basis i've replaced those worst ones, which were 2200uF
>>10v 105degC with some 2200uF 16v 85degC ones. How long is it safe to
>>leave these in there?
>>
>>With the mainboard out I discovered that most of the others are ****ed
>>too. They're starting to bulge at the top. So I need 13 of them
>>A quick search on Google shows the problem is very widespread.
>>Everyone else with a mainboard from a couple of years ago should check
>>it.
>>

>IN THEORY you must use low ESR caps
>In practice you dont allways need to (dispite what some Techs will say)

In this case as they are the Main Filter caps for the Switched Mode PSU, its a
200% Must, as they have to handle Amps of ripple current..

>Chances are they stopped being low ESR long ago.
>We have 2 PC's at work that we fixed with normal caps. One has be running
>over 2 years, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. (13 caps may be a different story)
>13 caps faulty. You may be better off replacing the board. Quite possibly
>even the caps that arnt buldging will need replacing. Not easy to test them either.
>These faulty caps often test OK with ESR & CAP meters

Steve Robertson