Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Is $1,700 a good price for HP server?

Reply
Thread Tools

Is $1,700 a good price for HP server?

 
 
John B
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
HP TC2120 P4 2.66 with SBS 2003 Server & 5 Clients standard edition

Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU, 512kb ECC Cache, ServerWorks GC-SL chipset,
40GB HDD
256MB PC2100 DDR sdram, expanable to 4GB
Compaq NC7760 PCI Gigabit NIC embedded 10/100/1000 wake on Lan
4 slots available on SCSI model 4 64bit/33Mhz PCI
Integrated ATi Rage XL with 8MB SDRAM video card
250 watts PSU, 2 x USB ports, rome setup utility and PXE support
Includes Windows 2000 server and 5 client licenses

Is $1,700 incl GST a good price on this?

--
John B


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John B
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
Thanks Matthew.

It's for a small office with 4 computers which are not used extensively -
perhaps an hour or two per day. Not much load really. 256MB Ram should be
ok.
--
John B

"Matthew Poole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bttcl3$ike$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <KmqMb.16872$(E-Mail Removed)>, "John B"

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >HP TC2120 P4 2.66 with SBS 2003 Server & 5 Clients standard edition
> >
> >Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU, 512kb ECC Cache, ServerWorks GC-SL chipset,
> >40GB HDD
> >256MB PC2100 DDR sdram, expanable to 4GB
> >Compaq NC7760 PCI Gigabit NIC embedded 10/100/1000 wake on Lan
> >4 slots available on SCSI model 4 64bit/33Mhz PCI
> >Integrated ATi Rage XL with 8MB SDRAM video card
> >250 watts PSU, 2 x USB ports, rome setup utility and PXE support
> >Includes Windows 2000 server and 5 client licenses
> >
> >Is $1,700 incl GST a good price on this?
> >

> Yes, given that 2KS with 5 CALs will cost you close to that much at
> retail.
> Very light on the RAM, though - Will probably cost nearly another grand
> to bump it up to 1GB, given what certified RAM for HP machines costs.
>
> --
> Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
> "Veni, vidi, velcro...
> I came, I saw, I stuck around"
>
> My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
microsoft's minimum recommended ram is 256mb, early installs of advanced
server would not run on less than 256mb, it only highlights how ****ed
hewlett packard is by selling it with 256mb, can you buy a new lapop with
only 256mb ram?

do yourself a favour, dont open the software, flog it on trademe, install
linux and buy more ram with the money from trademe.

256mb? between hewlett packard & microsoft they've stuffed a prefectly
good cpu






On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:00:09 +1300,
John B wrote:

> Thanks Matthew.
>
> It's for a small office with 4 computers which are not used extensively -
> perhaps an hour or two per day. Not much load really. 256MB Ram should be
> ok.
> --


 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
In article <KmqMb.16872$(E-Mail Removed)>, "John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>HP TC2120 P4 2.66 with SBS 2003 Server & 5 Clients standard edition
>
>Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU, 512kb ECC Cache, ServerWorks GC-SL chipset,
>40GB HDD
>256MB PC2100 DDR sdram, expanable to 4GB
>Compaq NC7760 PCI Gigabit NIC embedded 10/100/1000 wake on Lan
>4 slots available on SCSI model 4 64bit/33Mhz PCI
>Integrated ATi Rage XL with 8MB SDRAM video card
>250 watts PSU, 2 x USB ports, rome setup utility and PXE support
>Includes Windows 2000 server and 5 client licenses
>
>Is $1,700 incl GST a good price on this?
>

Yes, given that 2KS with 5 CALs will cost you close to that much at
retail.
Very light on the RAM, though - Will probably cost nearly another grand
to bump it up to 1GB, given what certified RAM for HP machines costs.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around"

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
In article <WIqMb.16877$(E-Mail Removed)>, "John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Thanks Matthew.
>
>It's for a small office with 4 computers which are not used extensively -
>perhaps an hour or two per day. Not much load really. 256MB Ram should be
>ok.


Yes, you should be able to scrape by with 256MB. That's the absolute
minimum for S2K, and 512MB is highly recommended.
Luckily RAM's fairly cheap at the moment, so another 256MB should only
be a couple of hundred dollars.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...
I came, I saw, I stuck around"

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gavin Tunney
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:36:30 +1300, "John B" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>HP TC2120 P4 2.66 with SBS 2003 Server & 5 Clients standard edition
>
>Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU, 512kb ECC Cache, ServerWorks GC-SL chipset,
>40GB HDD
>256MB PC2100 DDR sdram, expanable to 4GB
>Compaq NC7760 PCI Gigabit NIC embedded 10/100/1000 wake on Lan
>4 slots available on SCSI model 4 64bit/33Mhz PCI
>Integrated ATi Rage XL with 8MB SDRAM video card
>250 watts PSU, 2 x USB ports, rome setup utility and PXE support
>Includes Windows 2000 server and 5 client licenses
>
>Is $1,700 incl GST a good price on this?



For what you get it is a good price, although it has to be said the HP
distributor has just announced big price cuts on HP desktops & servers
so that $1700 price is just a reflection of those cuts.... would pay
to confirm availability as they're probably quoting off a price list
rather than ex-stock.

Two things to look at....... could do with more RAM, the TC2120 takes
PC2100 ECC RAM which costs a bit more than standard RAM. Doesn't have
to be HP branded RAM, just a suitable type from a reputable supplier.
That model you've been quoted also has an IDE drive & would pay to
check if it supports IDE RAID... not sure if the TC2120 does or not.
You really don't want to run a server with just one hard drive.

They're not a bad server for the price, bit of a hybrid but build
quality is ok performance is reasonable enough.

Btw you can't sell the SBS server separate, is an OEM version & if
it's the same as the OEM Win2k server for the TC2120 it's built into
the restore CD.

Cheers

Gavin
 
Reply With Quote
 
K & S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004



Propriety product, locked in Service and Parts..


Get one made up with normal stock parts..


 
Reply With Quote
 
John B
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
Thanks Gavin,
Very helpful
--
John B

"Gavin Tunney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 18:36:30 +1300, "John B" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >HP TC2120 P4 2.66 with SBS 2003 Server & 5 Clients standard edition
> >
> >Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU, 512kb ECC Cache, ServerWorks GC-SL chipset,
> >40GB HDD
> >256MB PC2100 DDR sdram, expanable to 4GB
> >Compaq NC7760 PCI Gigabit NIC embedded 10/100/1000 wake on Lan
> >4 slots available on SCSI model 4 64bit/33Mhz PCI
> >Integrated ATi Rage XL with 8MB SDRAM video card
> >250 watts PSU, 2 x USB ports, rome setup utility and PXE support
> >Includes Windows 2000 server and 5 client licenses
> >
> >Is $1,700 incl GST a good price on this?

>
>
> For what you get it is a good price, although it has to be said the HP
> distributor has just announced big price cuts on HP desktops & servers
> so that $1700 price is just a reflection of those cuts.... would pay
> to confirm availability as they're probably quoting off a price list
> rather than ex-stock.
>
> Two things to look at....... could do with more RAM, the TC2120 takes
> PC2100 ECC RAM which costs a bit more than standard RAM. Doesn't have
> to be HP branded RAM, just a suitable type from a reputable supplier.
> That model you've been quoted also has an IDE drive & would pay to
> check if it supports IDE RAID... not sure if the TC2120 does or not.
> You really don't want to run a server with just one hard drive.
>
> They're not a bad server for the price, bit of a hybrid but build
> quality is ok performance is reasonable enough.
>
> Btw you can't sell the SBS server separate, is an OEM version & if
> it's the same as the OEM Win2k server for the TC2120 it's built into
> the restore CD.
>
> Cheers
>
> Gavin



 
Reply With Quote
 
AD.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:10:22 +1300, bruce wrote:

> microsoft's minimum recommended ram is 256mb, early installs of advanced
> server would not run on less than 256mb, it only highlights how ****ed
> hewlett packard is by selling it with 256mb, can you buy a new lapop
> with only 256mb ram?


I've found SBS (haven't tried 2003 yet) to be a very memory hungry OS due
to it's kitchen sink approach to bundled software.

I would definitely upgrade the memory to at the very least 512MB unless
you aren't planning on running Exchange. Generic memory should work ok,
but if you want more compatibility certainty without paying the official
HP prices, Kingston will have a part intended for that server model.

Hell, IBM now just uses Kingston memory in their low end servers anyway.

Cheers
Anton
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mr Scebe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-13-2004

"John B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KmqMb.16872$(E-Mail Removed)...
> HP TC2120 P4 2.66 with SBS 2003 Server & 5 Clients standard edition
>
> Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz CPU, 512kb ECC Cache, ServerWorks GC-SL chipset,
> 40GB HDD
> 256MB PC2100 DDR sdram, expanable to 4GB
> Compaq NC7760 PCI Gigabit NIC embedded 10/100/1000 wake on Lan
> 4 slots available on SCSI model 4 64bit/33Mhz PCI
> Integrated ATi Rage XL with 8MB SDRAM video card
> 250 watts PSU, 2 x USB ports, rome setup utility and PXE support
> Includes Windows 2000 server and 5 client licenses
>
> Is $1,700 incl GST a good price on this?


The recommended retail for this is $4695, so i would say that if you need
this kind of server (system) that it's a good deal. The only thing is that
the RAM for it is a bit pricey - $355 retail for 256MB. Given that it's
SBS03 i would spec at least another 256/512 at the time of purchase.

--
Mr Scebe
Losers always whine about their 'best'.
Winners go home and **** the prom queen".
~Sean Connery in "The Rock"



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price Comparison Service. Best Deal. Special Coupon atBest-Price-Comparison.com rapee Digital Photography 0 03-14-2008 06:46 AM
Online price vs retail store price? Squiggle NZ Computing 74 12-07-2007 03:44 AM
computer spares price list | newly added Canada country price list| Nandhu Python 0 12-04-2007 02:56 PM
US price v Uk price /\\BratMan/\\ Digital Photography 19 11-23-2007 05:18 AM
Vista Ultimate: NZ price vs US Price whome NZ Computing 61 02-03-2007 12:11 PM



Advertisments