Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Manhunt - legality of reviews?

Reply
Thread Tools

Manhunt - legality of reviews?

 
 
BTMO
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
Ok - I am watching XPplay on TechTV (on Saturn) at the moment, and they are
reviewing Manhunt - the game that was recently banned in New Zealand.

As an aside, I was recently in Australia, and Manhunt freely available in
shops like Electronic Boutique. This surprised me, as Australia is more
typically a nation of wowsers than NZ, and more prone to ban things, but I
digress...

My question is this. Manhunt is banned in New Zealand - but the review just
on TV contained quite a bit of footage from the game.

Is it legal to show this in NZ? At first thought, I assume it is, as it is
the game that has been banned, not the reporting of it.

Then I thought a little more - segments of the game including some of the
"kill scenes" have been digitally beamed to NZ (via satellite to Saturn,
then by cable to my place) - doesn't this present legal problems?

Incidentally, the hosts of the show didn't like the game very much, pointed
out the violence wasn't meant for children, reported that the game play
wasn't much chop (pun intended) and ultimately gave it a score of two out of
five.

For what its worth, I don't believe this game should be banned (it is a game
for crying out loud - the images are no worse than your average zombie
splatter movie, and are completely cg animated) but by the same token, I
wouldn't bother buying it - it is not a styly of game I enjoy.

Cheers,

Brenton


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
i actually saw manhunt 2: silent assassin for xbox, for rental in
BlockBuster yesterday. Is that also banned or the same game you mean?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Starkey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:24:06 +1300, "Mark." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i actually saw manhunt 2: silent assassin for xbox, for rental in
>BlockBuster yesterday. Is that also banned or the same game you mean?


manhunt 2 are u sure
hitman 2 silent assassin it could be
 
Reply With Quote
 
Craig Shore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:14:51 +1300, "BTMO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok - I am watching XPplay on TechTV (on Saturn) at the moment, and they are
>reviewing Manhunt - the game that was recently banned in New Zealand.
>
>As an aside, I was recently in Australia, and Manhunt freely available in
>shops like Electronic Boutique. This surprised me, as Australia is more
>typically a nation of wowsers than NZ, and more prone to ban things, but I
>digress...
>
>My question is this. Manhunt is banned in New Zealand - but the review just
>on TV contained quite a bit of footage from the game.
>
>Is it legal to show this in NZ? At first thought, I assume it is, as it is
>the game that has been banned, not the reporting of it.


INAL, but this is how I believe it is,-
The stuff you buy is covered by the Films, Videos, and Publications
Act. Anything that falls under that is rated before it is released to
the public. TV is coverted by the Broadcasting Act, where stuff gets
complained about after is has screened. So it's only going to be
illegal on TV if someone complains after it's been screened, and it's
found to be something that they shouldn't have screened.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
BTMO wrote:

> As an aside, I was recently in Australia, and Manhunt freely available in
> shops like Electronic Boutique. This surprised me, as Australia is more
> typically a nation of wowsers than NZ, and more prone to ban things, but I
> digress...


Australia has always been much more liberal than NZ.
NZ used to ban the import of porn which originated from Australia.

I think NZ has always been the "nation of wowsers". Just look at them now.
Banning a video game! Aren't you in fact posting about the wowser aspect of
NZ?!

What makes you think that Australia is/was a nation of wowsers?
What things have been banned in Australia?
Can you give an example or two?

 
Reply With Quote
 
-[Myth]-
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-12-2004
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:04:40 +1100, Jay wrote:

> BTMO wrote:
>
>> As an aside, I was recently in Australia, and Manhunt freely available in
>> shops like Electronic Boutique. This surprised me, as Australia is more
>> typically a nation of wowsers than NZ, and more prone to ban things, but I
>> digress...

>
> Australia has always been much more liberal than NZ.
> NZ used to ban the import of porn which originated from Australia.
>
> I think NZ has always been the "nation of wowsers". Just look at them now.
> Banning a video game! Aren't you in fact posting about the wowser aspect of
> NZ?!
>
> What makes you think that Australia is/was a nation of wowsers?
> What things have been banned in Australia?
> Can you give an example or two?


Postal 2, BMXXXX, GTA 3 vice city, etc
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wireless network legality bassetrox@moose-mail.com Wireless Networking 5 04-16-2006 03:49 AM
Legality of type conversion on instance ports? Brandon VHDL 1 08-04-2005 04:57 AM
Action Pack - legality? BWGames Microsoft Certification 8 12-02-2004 07:37 PM
Complicated music downloading legality question vbMark Computer Support 14 11-12-2004 06:40 AM
Legality of selling my MCSD CTEC Course Folders Raj Singh MCSD 4 01-19-2004 06:23 PM



Advertisments