Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > digital camera wanted to buy: advice please

digital camera wanted to buy: advice please

Tapi Himiona

I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????

I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
send overseas.

Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
Kathy

KiwiRider

Disregard any claims of DIGITAL zoom, all that does is make the picture you
already have larger, not closer or any clearer i.e. the same amount of
pixels just fatter . Get the highest OPTICAL zoom that you can.. this is the
one that actually 'zooms' in on a subject or makes them larger whilst
retaining the picture quality.

"Tapi Himiona" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4000e503$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint

or
> two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
>
> I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
> etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings

> send overseas.
>
> Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
> Kathy

Barg

Tapi Himiona wrote:

> I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint
> or two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
>
> I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
> etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings
> to send overseas.
>
> Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
> Kathy

Check out www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating for camera
ratings, then www.pricespy.co.nz and click on Cameras for the best local
prices. Once you start to get the feel of the market keep an eye on
www.trademe.co.nz and/or www.te.co.nz (Trade and Exchange).

K & S

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:00:44 +1300, "Tapi Himiona" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
>two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
>
>I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
>etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
>send overseas.
>
>Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
>Kathy

$300 will buy a load of utter Crap..

You need at least $600 or more..

Richard Malcolm-Smith

K & S wrote:

>>I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
>>two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
>>
>>I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
>>etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
>>send overseas.

> $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
>
> You need at least $600 or more..

Hes right.

Also, you dont need zoom to take pictures, but a decent macro mode, but the 2
seem to come hand in hand.

Also the lighting is very important with takign pictures of art

Gordon

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:02:45 +1300, Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:

> K & S wrote:
>
>>>I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
>>>two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
>>>
>>>I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
>>>etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
>>>send overseas.

>> $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
>>
>> You need at least $600 or more..

> Hes right.

It does happen

Gordon

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:39:02 +1300, KiwiRider wrote:

> Disregard any claims of DIGITAL zoom, all that does is make the picture you
> already have larger, not closer or any clearer i.e. the same amount of
> pixels just fatter .

A digital zoom only crops the picture. So at 2x power only 1/4 of
cameras pixels used.

Chris

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

>>> $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
>>>
>>> You need at least $600 or more..

>> Hes right.

> It does happen

But $600 ?, no, i wouldn't call that good advise

--
Chris

Mainlander

In article <4000e503$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
> two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
>
> I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
> etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
> send overseas.

Fuji 205 is a budget 2MP, reasonable value for its low price around $299.

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:00:44 +1300, "Tapi Himiona" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I've got approx. $300 to buy a digital camera, can anyone give me a hint or
> >two whether I should buy one new or second hand?????
> >
> >I realise that I probably need 3.2 megapixels, but how important is zoom,
> >etc? I want to take a reasonable shot close up of pictures and paintings to
> >send overseas.
> >
> >Thanks for any help you wonders out there.
> >Kathy
> >

> $300 will buy a load of utter Crap..
>
> You need at least $600 or more..

Absolute rubbish Woger, you can get a few reasonable Fuji models for $300
..