Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Wardriving

Wardriving

PseUDO

Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open networks??

Went for a drive today using my laptop with the wireless card, found 2 open
networks, one with an SSID of "default", and no WEP enabled!, although
couldn't get a connection from it , most likely had MAC address filtering,
or no internet connection.

Second network also had no WEP, but for some reason although the netstumbler
programme could see the network the pccard couldn't.

Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.

PseUDO

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

PseUDO wrote:
> Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open networks??

Yeah just getting a 7db omni mounted on the roof of my car... makes it
alot easier to find networks

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

Nicolaas Hawkins

In Message <news:3a4Mb.16671$(E-Mail Removed)>
dated Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:19:25 +1300,
"PseUDO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open networks??
>
> Went for a drive today using my laptop with the wireless card, found 2 open
> networks, one with an SSID of "default", and no WEP enabled!, although
> couldn't get a connection from it , most likely had MAC address filtering,
> or no internet connection.
>
> Second network also had no WEP, but for some reason although the netstumbler
> programme could see the network the pccard couldn't.
>
> Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.
>
> PseUDO

Why, for Xsake?

--
Nicolaas.

- Scheiss, ist heiss!

Barg

PseUDO wrote:

> Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open
> networks??
>
> Went for a drive today using my laptop with the wireless card, found 2
> open networks, one with an SSID of "default", and no WEP enabled!,
> although couldn't get a connection from it , most likely had MAC address
> filtering, or no internet connection.
>
> Second network also had no WEP, but for some reason although the
> netstumbler programme could see the network the pccard couldn't.
>
> Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.
>
> PseUDO

But don't get caught. Under last July's Crimes Amendment Act simply
accessing a network without authorisation could get you two years in the
slammer!

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Barg wrote:
> But don't get caught. Under last July's Crimes Amendment Act simply
> accessing a network without authorisation could get you two years in the
> slammer!

What if you do it by accident?
I shoved my antennae on the pole, and picked up 4 networks, one handed
me an IP address.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

Barg

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> Barg wrote:
>> But don't get caught. Under last July's Crimes Amendment Act simply
>> accessing a network without authorisation could get you two years in the
>> slammer!

> What if you do it by accident?
> I shoved my antennae on the pole, and picked up 4 networks, one handed
> me an IP address.

Be careful where you shove that thing, big boy!

But seriously, you can be done irrespective of whether you do any damage or
whether or not you gain anything from the access. IMHO it ain't worth the
grief. Unless of course you want to be the first case on the books...

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

Barg wrote:
>>What if you do it by accident?
>>I shoved my antennae on the pole, and picked up 4 networks, one handed
>>me an IP address.

> Be careful where you shove that thing, big boy!

I still "see" their network, but it no-longer hands out IP addys(I made
them aware by email that I could see each of their machines, and that
they should tidy it up)

> But seriously, you can be done irrespective of whether you do any damage or
> whether or not you gain anything from the access. IMHO it ain't worth the
> grief. Unless of course you want to be the first case on the books...

no, that wouldn't be ideal... could be an interesting one, much like an
email I received recently advertising some dodgy images, which I have no
doubts about them being illegal, now had been using a different email
client, my machine would have downloaded them, and I'd be in posession
of them, mine field this internet beast, a bloody mine field.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

PseUDO

"Nicolaas Hawkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clhiywopi4qh$.g4wyb60tfawn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In Message <news:3a4Mb.16671$(E-Mail Removed)>
> dated Sun, 11 Jan 2004 17:19:25 +1300,
> "PseUDO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open

networks??

> > Went for a drive today using my laptop with the wireless card, found 2

open
> > networks, one with an SSID of "default", and no WEP enabled!, although
> > couldn't get a connection from it , most likely had MAC address

filtering,
> > or no internet connection.
> >
> > Second network also had no WEP, but for some reason although the

netstumbler
> > programme could see the network the pccard couldn't.
> >
> > Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.
> >
> > PseUDO

> Why, for Xsake?

Just being curious really, + seeing who's offering free internet access,
without knowing it.!

PseUDO

> --
> Nicolaas.
>

> - Scheiss, ist heiss!

T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz

PseUDO wrote:
>>>Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.

>>Why, for Xsake?

> Just being curious really, + seeing who's offering free internet access,
> without knowing it.!

Like Barg says, be carefull.

--
Http://www.Dave.net.nz
Play Hangman

PseUDO

"Barg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4j5Mb.16693$(E-Mail Removed)...
> PseUDO wrote:
>
> > Anybody into using laptops and wireless pc cards to look for open
> > networks??
> >
> > Went for a drive today using my laptop with the wireless card, found 2
> > open networks, one with an SSID of "default", and no WEP enabled!,
> > although couldn't get a connection from it , most likely had MAC address
> > filtering, or no internet connection.
> >
> > Second network also had no WEP, but for some reason although the
> > netstumbler programme could see the network the pccard couldn't.
> >
> > Might drive a bit further and look for some more!.
> >
> > PseUDO

> But don't get caught. Under last July's Crimes Amendment Act simply
> accessing a network without authorisation could get you two years in the
> slammer!

The key word being "authorisation" if the wireless connection hands your pc
a ip address, then that sounds like ''authorisation' to me.

Im driving down the road my wireless card in my laptop is scanning for a
connection and then it detects a network , the wireless network then gives
me a ip address automatically, and i starting surfing the web.

In most cases even if the owner of the network did find out that your
accessing the network and tried to track you down, then they would have to
do it by foot using radio direction finding, and since most people into
''war driving'' are only stopping at open connection points for a short
time, the chances of them finding you are pretty remote.

If they did catch you then the most they are going to get is your car number
plate, and there's no way the police are going get a prosecution with just a
reg number.

The secret when using someone elses connection is to not log on to website's
with any login name or password, or be checking mail etc, you would be
pretty unlucky to be caught out.

If i ever get caught , i'll let you know

PseUDO

Wardriving in NZ Peter NZ Computing 1 09-21-2009 08:58 PM
WARDRIVING - spying on THEM Laserfink Computer Support 18 03-04-2008 08:58 AM
REVIEW: "WarDriving: Drive, Detect, Defend", Chris Hurley/Frank Thornton/Michael Puchol Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor Computer Security 0 11-11-2004 06:30 PM

Advertisments