Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Windows 98 Support Ends

Windows 98 Support Ends

PseUDO

Just wondering how many people on here are still using windows 98 , with
support from MS ending next Thursday.

According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
vulnerabilities.

PseUDO

Lennier

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:07:54 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

> According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
> and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
> vulnerabilities.

How is that statistic arrived at? In what way is the number of persons
using the internet and WIN98 important? What about the number of us
using WIN98 generally? And those using WIN95?

IMHO, it is irrelevant that Micro$oft is no longer supporting those
particular versions of Windows. There is no good reason to purchase
another version of Micro$oft Windows when there are excellent alternatives
available.

Lennier

--
Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

DUser

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:07:54 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

> Just wondering how many people on here are still using windows 98 , with
> support from MS ending next Thursday.
>
> According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running
> 98, and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits
> and vulnerabilities.
>
> PseUDO

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,3...9118993,00.htm
<quote>
Users who need to do a clean install of Windows 98 will, for the moment,
still be able to connect with the Windows Update service in order to
install the most recent patches, but the future of this service is far
from clear: "We have not yet made a decision when we are going to remove
Windows update. We realise there is a huge install base out there so we
will try to be as open and loud as possible with our decision," he said.

Ahlgren pointed out that certain patches released in the future could be
generic and work on all Windows operating systems, including Windows 98.
In that case, an update would be possible: "If the patch is a generic
</quote>

Nihil

In article <gu0Mb.16641$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...

>Just wondering how many people on here are still using windows 98 , with
>support from MS ending next Thursday.

I think my mom is.

>According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
>and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
>vulnerabilities.

I'll buy my mom a copy of Windows XP Home for her birthday.

-- Nihil

Invisible

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:07:54 +1300, "PseUDO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just wondering how many people on here are still using windows 98 , with
>support from MS ending next Thursday.
>
>According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
>and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
>vulnerabilities.
>
>PseUDO

If it's not supported, can we use pirate copies?

Jerry

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:35:23 +1300, Lennier wrote:

> There is no good reason to purchase another version of Micro$oft Windows
> when there are excellent alternatives available.

Agreed, but still........
We need a bit of help from fellow net users.
Was looking for some documentation on a govt.nz site expecting a pdf.
What I got was a .doc (over 600 f*ckin´ kb).
Open Office opened it looking like a dog´s breakfast.
(In hind sight this WAS an achievement)
Reboot from MDK into win98 --> locked solid, Office 2000 PRO.
Reboot into XP --> no prob, Office 2003 PRO.
Save as .RTF, --> unreadable cause the tabs had changed, tables were gone
and fonts and font size changed sometimes mid-sentence.
WTF
Jerryİ

Lennier

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:54:48 +1300, Jerry wrote:

> Agreed, but still........
> We need a bit of help from fellow net users.
> Was looking for some documentation on a govt.nz site expecting a pdf.
> What I got was a .doc (over 600 f*ckin´ kb).
> Open Office opened it looking like a dog´s breakfast.
> (In hind sight this WAS an achievement)
> Reboot from MDK into win98 --> locked solid, Office 2000 PRO.
> Reboot into XP --> no prob, Office 2003 PRO.
> Save as .RTF, --> unreadable cause the tabs had changed, tables were gone
> and fonts and font size changed sometimes mid-sentence.

You could save it either as a format readable by an earlier version of M$
Word, or in Word Perfect 6 format - both well readable by OO.

The really stupid thing is WHY do people save stuff in the latest version
of .DOC when they don't need the few extra additional functions supported
by that format? Why don't they by default save their document in the
oldest format that still provides the features that they're wanting out of
their version of M$ Word?

I think all businesses should be doing that as a matter of course - in
order to have their documents readable by as many persons as possible.

PDF of course is best, but an old but readable .DOC is better than a
bleeding-edge .DOC that is unreadable/unusable without spending pots of
dosh.

Lennier

Cheetah

PseUDO wrote:

> According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
> and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
> vulnerabilities.

According to someone I know who should know - Microsofts main competitor is
not open source, but itself. The huge installed base of older computers
makes it very difficult to move new gear/software. Software Assurance was
of course about assuring that Microsoft continued to get revenue even when
they didn't deliver anything. This is very sensible for MS - but not so hot
for those who now are tied into expensive annual subscriptions.

Barg

PseUDO wrote:

> Just wondering how many people on here are still using windows 98 , with
> support from MS ending next Thursday.
>
> According to an article , 25% of all internet users are still running 98,
> and with no further support they will be open to future new exploits and
> vulnerabilities.
>
> PseUDO

Feck 'em. Use Linux.

(This message comes to you from Mandrake 9.1)

Lennier

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 18:04:18 +1300, Cheetah wrote:

> According to someone I know who should know - Microsofts main competitor is
> not open source, but itself. The huge installed base of older computers
> makes it very difficult to move new gear/software. Software Assurance was
> of course about assuring that Microsoft continued to get revenue even when
> they didn't deliver anything. This is very sensible for MS - but not so hot
> for those who now are tied into expensive annual subscriptions.

Well if there are still WIN16 boxes connecting to the WWW, then what
chance is there for an expensive and butchered WIN64 box?

Much better to change to something less susceptible to viruses - something
Open Source...

Lennier