Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Xandros Desktop 2 report

Xandros Desktop 2 report

GraB

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 19:51:11 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
wrote:

>> GraB scribbled:

>> From where and what cost was the Xandros 2 CD? I have decided that
>> when I get a new drive I will install this version.

>BigByte have the deluxe version at $149.00....

When I inquired at Big Byte they only had version 1.1. But that
sounds like a good price if it is version 2.

Max Burke

> GraB scribbled:

>> Max Burke wrote:

>>> GraB scribbled:
>>> From where and what cost was the Xandros 2 CD? I have decided that
>>> when I get a new drive I will install this version.

>> BigByte have the deluxe version at $149.00....

> When I inquired at Big Byte they only had version 1.1.

Didn't check the version, just the name as I had never heard of it before.
I almost bought it myself, but decided I had better do some 'research' on it
first; After all I dont want to waste my money on a usless OS....

> But that
> sounds like a good price if it is version 2.

They had quite a few boxes there alongside Windows XP.....

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:

Lennier

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 22:34:38 +1300, steve wrote:

>> Is the Deluxe version necessary if you have WINE and Open Office 1.1
>> installed?

> No...provided your WINE runs all the programs you want it to.
>
> The only real advantage to the Codeweavers stuff is that MS Office runs
> better on it than it does on Windows...
>
> If you can run wat you like already, then Xandros 2.0 deluxe offers little
> more than the standard version.

Cool.

I think I might wait until the standard version becomes downloadable from
their website.

Lennier

--
Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Max Burke wrote:
>>GraB scribbled:

>>>BigByte have the deluxe version at $149.00....

>>When I inquired at Big Byte they only had version 1.1.

> Didn't check the version, just the name as I had never heard of it before.
> I almost bought it myself, but decided I had better do some 'research' on it
> first; After all I dont want to waste my money on a usless OS....

Its the most Windows-alike *nix you can buy (or at least the default
config is!). I'd still need to think twice before I decided to buy it
or not, since other (cheaper) distros can be Window-ised too...

I setup a WinXP alike login for a mate who stayed a couple of weeks to
renovate a flat I was in...it didn't fool him, but he had no trouble
getting email using Evolution. He even commented it was so close to
being like his WinXP setup that someone should distribute a Mandrake
distro setup like XP...I quickly replied that M$ would not see the
humorous side of it, and would drag your arse into court! Linux users
attending installfests and the like are discouraged from displaying
desktops adorned with MS screen widgets, because it has been known
for 'MS Police' to attend such meetings looking for copyright law
infringement...

--
Kind regards,