Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > homepage changing.

Reply
Thread Tools

homepage changing.

 
 
cowboyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2004
Allistar wrote:
> cowboyz wrote:
>
>> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
>> way to "write protect" this setting?

>
> Knowing which browser you use would help.


MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
cowboyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2004
Lebowski wrote:
> "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:btlk0p$ro3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
>> way to "write protect" this setting?
>>
>>
>>

>
> 4 things:
>
> 1 - Go to Windows Update and make sure you have all the latest
> security updates.


Been meaning to but yeah.....

> 2 - Use a program like Spybot Search and Destroy or Ad Aware 6.0 to
> weed out any spyware and browser hijakers lurking on your pc, and
> flush them out semi-regularly.


I do. It turned out to be a crappy little program/game the little woman
downloaded and plays. something to do with words or something. Full of
spyware/crapware.

>Also set your IE security settings for
> "high" (or "block all cookies") and just hit the "allow" button if
> there are certain web sites with which you would be happy to allow
> cookies.


>3 - Make sure you have Nortons and Auto-Protect enabled so
> there's little chance of some scummy trojan or whatever taking over
> your computer while you're online.


Dont use Nortons or any virus killer actually. I am one of those
"irresponsible" net users


> 4 -Make sure your firewall is enabled at all times. The XP Internet
> Connection Firewall works fine, provided you actually have it turned
> on.


Don't use a firewall either.

>
> That's about it, really.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lebowski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2004

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bto6mn$oue$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lebowski wrote:
> > "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:btlk0p$ro3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
> >> way to "write protect" this setting?
> >>
> >>
> >>

> >
> > 4 things:
> >
> > 1 - Go to Windows Update and make sure you have all the latest
> > security updates.

>
> Been meaning to but yeah.....
>
> > 2 - Use a program like Spybot Search and Destroy or Ad Aware 6.0 to
> > weed out any spyware and browser hijakers lurking on your pc, and
> > flush them out semi-regularly.

>
> I do. It turned out to be a crappy little program/game the little woman
> downloaded and plays. something to do with words or something. Full of
> spyware/crapware.
>
> >Also set your IE security settings for
> > "high" (or "block all cookies") and just hit the "allow" button if
> > there are certain web sites with which you would be happy to allow
> > cookies.

>
> >3 - Make sure you have Nortons and Auto-Protect enabled so
> > there's little chance of some scummy trojan or whatever taking over
> > your computer while you're online.

>
> Dont use Nortons or any virus killer actually. I am one of those
> "irresponsible" net users
>
>
> > 4 -Make sure your firewall is enabled at all times. The XP Internet
> > Connection Firewall works fine, provided you actually have it turned
> > on.

>
> Don't use a firewall either.
>
> >
> > That's about it, really.

>
>


Each to their own. At least you have female company...who needs a firewall
or any pc protection when you have someone to keep you warm at
night...sigh...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lebowski
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2004

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bto6hq$ot9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Allistar wrote:
> > cowboyz wrote:
> >
> >> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
> >> way to "write protect" this setting?

> >
> > Knowing which browser you use would help.

>
> MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?
>
>
>

Other browsers? Can't be...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mainlander
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2004
In article <bto6hq$ot9$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Allistar wrote:
> > cowboyz wrote:
> >
> >> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
> >> way to "write protect" this setting?

> >
> > Knowing which browser you use would help.

>
> MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?


Mozilla doesn';t have to be patched every other week because of some new
hole

If you haven;t updated IE with all the patches don't come complaining
here.

--
Full featured open source Win32 newsreader - Gravity 2.70
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/
 
Reply With Quote
 
cowboyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2004
Mainlander wrote:
> In article <bto6hq$ot9$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Allistar wrote:
>>> cowboyz wrote:
>>>
>>>> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
>>>> way to "write protect" this setting?
>>>
>>> Knowing which browser you use would help.

>>
>> MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?

>
> Mozilla doesn';t have to be patched every other week because of some
> new hole
>
> If you haven;t updated IE with all the patches don't come complaining
> here.


I not complaining about anything. Just asking if the homepage/startpage of
IE can be locked.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mainlander
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2004
In article <btoiqs$31q$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Mainlander wrote:
> > In article <bto6hq$ot9$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> Allistar wrote:
> >>> cowboyz wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
> >>>> way to "write protect" this setting?
> >>>
> >>> Knowing which browser you use would help.
> >>
> >> MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?

> >
> > Mozilla doesn';t have to be patched every other week because of some
> > new hole
> >
> > If you haven;t updated IE with all the patches don't come complaining
> > here.

>
> I not complaining about anything. Just asking if the homepage/startpage of
> IE can be locked.


Yes, if you update IE to the latest patched version, it can.

You have told us that you can't be bothered updating IE.

--
Full featured open source Win32 newsreader - Gravity 2.70
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/
 
Reply With Quote
 
cowboyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2004

"Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). nz...
> In article <btoiqs$31q$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Mainlander wrote:
> > > In article <bto6hq$ot9$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > >> Allistar wrote:
> > >>> cowboyz wrote:
> > >>>
> > >>>> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
> > >>>> way to "write protect" this setting?
> > >>>
> > >>> Knowing which browser you use would help.
> > >>
> > >> MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?
> > >
> > > Mozilla doesn';t have to be patched every other week because of some
> > > new hole
> > >
> > > If you haven;t updated IE with all the patches don't come complaining
> > > here.

> >
> > I not complaining about anything. Just asking if the homepage/startpage

of
> > IE can be locked.

>
> Yes, if you update IE to the latest patched version, it can.
>
> You have told us that you can't be bothered updating IE.
>



I never said I couldn't be bothered, I said I haven't got around to it.
Try some basic comprehension when reading posts.




 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2004
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 19:36:25 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lebowski wrote:
>> "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:btlk0p$ro3$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
>>> way to "write protect" this setting?

>>
>> 4 things:
>>
>> 1 - Go to Windows Update and make sure you have all the latest
>> security updates.

>
>Been meaning to but yeah.....
>
>> 2 - Use a program like Spybot Search and Destroy or Ad Aware 6.0 to
>> weed out any spyware and browser hijakers lurking on your pc, and
>> flush them out semi-regularly.

>
>I do. It turned out to be a crappy little program/game the little woman
>downloaded and plays. something to do with words or something. Full of
>spyware/crapware.
>
>>Also set your IE security settings for
>> "high" (or "block all cookies") and just hit the "allow" button if
>> there are certain web sites with which you would be happy to allow
>> cookies.

>
>>3 - Make sure you have Nortons and Auto-Protect enabled so
>> there's little chance of some scummy trojan or whatever taking over
>> your computer while you're online.

>
>Dont use Nortons or any virus killer actually. I am one of those
>"irresponsible" net users
>
>
>> 4 -Make sure your firewall is enabled at all times. The XP Internet
>> Connection Firewall works fine, provided you actually have it turned
>> on.

>
>Don't use a firewall either.
>
>>
>> That's about it, really.

>

Some people seem to be able to get away with it for years. Then,
suddenly, WHAM! No machine.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-10-2004
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:31:19 +1300, Mainlander <*@*.*> wrote:

>In article <bto6hq$ot9$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Allistar wrote:
>> > cowboyz wrote:
>> >
>> >> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
>> >> way to "write protect" this setting?
>> >
>> > Knowing which browser you use would help.

>>
>> MS internet explorer of course. Is there another?

>
>Mozilla doesn';t have to be patched every other week because of some new
>hole
>

I used to upgrade Mozilla every time a new release came out. I can't
say that it is a great deal more stable now than when version 1 came
out. Sigh! I'd thought until recently that 1.3.1 (my current release)
was more stable, but three or four crashes recently have caused me to
revise my opinion. I suppose if you don't mind it crashing every so
often that Mozilla could be considered an alternative. I use both but
I can't say that I'm likely to switch completely to Mozilla. It's been
pretty good on Linux though. Crashes do happen there but less
frequently. (Don't get me started on Mozilla and mail and newsgroups
under windows!!)

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is your homepage? Silverstrand The Lounge 23 08-18-2005 07:30 AM
Need help with homepage issue. Gerald Orvis Davis Firefox 7 05-06-2005 09:25 AM
Default homepage jaez Wireless Networking 0 02-28-2005 06:49 PM
Atolotl hijacked my Yahoo homepage? Motorhead Lawyer Firefox 8 01-13-2005 02:07 PM
resetting homepage andre MCSE 2 02-06-2004 08:40 AM



Advertisments