Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > homepage changing.

homepage changing.

cowboyz

Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
"write protect" this setting?

Invisible

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:05:15 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
>"write protect" this setting?

SpywareGuard stops homepage hijacks:
http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html

bambam

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:btlk0p$ro3$(E-Mail Removed):

> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there
> a way to "write protect" this setting?

If you use Internet Explorer, there is a setting in Spybot-Search &
Destroy under the Immunize tab, to lock the IE start page.

http://www.safer-networking.org/

Also, another program that I really like, that will do what you want
and heaps besides is WinPatrol (get the free version)-

http://www.winpatrol.com/

--
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Kookaburra

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:05:15 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
>"write protect" this setting?

1. Click on - taskbar/start menu/run
2. Copy and paste the following line into the run field:

regsvr32.exe -u c:\windows\system\regwizc.dll

3. Click OK. You should get a popup message confirming the successful
disabling of regwizc.dll. This will diable homepage hijacking

1. Click on - taskbar/start menu/run
2. Copy and paste the following line into the run field:

regsvr32.exe -c c:\windows\system\regwizc.dll

3. Click OK. You should get a popup message confirming the successful
re-enabling of regwizc.dll. This puts it back the way it was

Or so I've been told. ))

Cheers, Kooky

Mainlander

In article <btlk0p$ro3$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
> "write protect" this setting?

Don't visit crap sites (porn, warez or other lowlifes)

Seriously it means you have an unpatched version of IE, that you need to
go to Windowsupdate.com and get all the patches for IE, or upgrade to a
later version, or better still, use Mozilla and don't experience the crap
filled buggy insecure MS browser

These are caused by security holes in the MS Virtual Machine (JVM) that
has been patched several times.

Mainlander

In article <_WsLb.16462$(E-Mail Removed)>, 97hk66302
@sneakemail.com says...
> "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:btlk0p$ro3$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there
> > a way to "write protect" this setting?

> If you use Internet Explorer, there is a setting in Spybot-Search &
> Destroy under the Immunize tab, to lock the IE start page.
>
> http://www.safer-networking.org/
>
> Also, another program that I really like, that will do what you want
> and heaps besides is WinPatrol (get the free version)-
>
> http://www.winpatrol.com/

Just dump the crappy insecure Internet Explorer browser

Mainlander

says...
> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 20:05:15 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
> >"write protect" this setting?
> >

> SpywareGuard stops homepage hijacks:
> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareguard.html

People should inform themselves, the reason this is happening is that he
has an unpatched version of IE, that should have the latest security
patches installed to fix the bugs in the MSVM / JVM.

The best fix of all is to get rid of IE altogether and not have to
download new security fixes every week.

Lebowski

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:btlk0p$ro3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
> "write protect" this setting?

4 things:

1 - Go to Windows Update and make sure you have all the latest security
updates.
2 - Use a program like Spybot Search and Destroy or Ad Aware 6.0 to weed out
any spyware and browser hijakers lurking on your pc, and flush them out
semi-regularly. Also set your IE security settings for "high" (or "block all
cookies") and just hit the "allow" button if there are certain web sites
with which you would be happy to allow cookies.
3 - Make sure you have Nortons and Auto-Protect enabled so there's little
chance of some scummy trojan or whatever taking over your computer while
you're online.
4 -Make sure your firewall is enabled at all times. The XP Internet
Connection Firewall works fine, provided you actually have it turned on.

That's about it, really.

Allistar

cowboyz wrote:

> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a way to
> "write protect" this setting?

Knowing which browser you use would help.

cowboyz

Mainlander wrote:
> In article <btlk0p$ro3$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Some damn thing is changing my start page all the time. Is there a
>> way to "write protect" this setting?

> Don't visit crap sites (porn, warez or other lowlifes)

Is there anything else on the internet?