Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > No longer able to access ihug pop3 from xtra

No longer able to access ihug pop3 from xtra

E.C.

It seems that from today I've been unable to access my pop3 account at ihug
using my xtra connection except from the webmail interface. Anyone else
having this problem? Have they pulled an 'xtra' on us? Frustrating :\

Mike

And yeah, my parents still use the ihug flat rate plan at another location.

E.C.

"E.C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iXqLb.6396$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It seems that from today I've been unable to access my pop3 account at

ihug
> using my xtra connection except from the webmail interface. Anyone else
> having this problem? Have they pulled an 'xtra' on us? Frustrating :\
>
> Mike
>
> And yeah, my parents still use the ihug flat rate plan at another

location.

Following this up, it turns out it was my computers problem. It wasn't
letting me access ANY computer on port 110, suspected it was related to a
Norton A.V 2002 crash so rebooted and hey presto we're all back to normal.

Mike

Mainlander

In article <iXqLb.6396$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> It seems that from today I've been unable to access my pop3 account at ihug
> using my xtra connection except from the webmail interface. Anyone else
> having this problem? Have they pulled an 'xtra' on us? Frustrating :\
>
> Mike
>
> And yeah, my parents still use the ihug flat rate plan at another location.

If sucha thing has been implemented it is to ensure they recover their
costs since they are not getting any money from subscriber fees to cover
the costs of running the email.

Peter Huebner

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, *@*.*
says...
> If sucha thing has been implemented it is to ensure they recover their
> costs since they are not getting any money from subscriber fees to cover
> the costs of running the email.

Of course they do. No account with Ihug, no email box. Hence the
existence of the email box means there is a subscription being paid.

Hey, it could even be argued that somebody accessing their ihug pop
account from another isp is doing ihug a favour since they are not
taking up a dial-in hence saving them money.

If it has been implemented that way, it's more likely than not a
misguided security measure or an accident. I would call the helpline and
quizz them about it.

-Peter

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed). nz>,
(E-Mail Removed)ess says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, *@*.*
> says...
> > If sucha thing has been implemented it is to ensure they recover their
> > costs since they are not getting any money from subscriber fees to cover
> > the costs of running the email.

> Of course they do. No account with Ihug, no email box. Hence the
> existence of the email box means there is a subscription being paid.

If you're on per hour dialup (like I do with xtra) then you're not paying
a cent.

colinco

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , *@*.*
says...
> If you're on per hour dialup (like I do with xtra) then you're not paying
> a cent.

Didn't xtra migrate all per hour dialup to min $5 per month?

Mainlander

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , *@*.*
> says...
> > If you're on per hour dialup (like I do with xtra) then you're not paying
> > a cent.
> >

> Didn't xtra migrate all per hour dialup to min $5 per month?

So it was claimed. I haven't noticed any difference in bills though.