Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Lexmark Z55 Printer

Lexmark Z55 Printer

Matthew Strickland

Hi all,

I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the manual
but it fails to print.

I went and had a look at it, its installed via parallel, and appears to
'communicate' to the printer, as I can view ink levels etc. But when you
print, the print monitor pops up, jumps to 20% (in word document), paper
goes into the printer... and thats it. Printer sits and waits with the paper
loaded, and the PC just sits on 20%. No error messages.

A DOS spool job gets to 14%, test page gets to 9%.... etc....

I can get a test page out of the printer itself... so the print cartridges
are installed ok... any ideas?

Windows 98 SE, Lexmark Z55 via Parallel Port. (ECP mode, bi-directional)

Matt

Dave Taylor

"Matthew Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:r_IKb.4008$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi all,
>
> I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
> series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the
> manual but it fails to print.
>
> I went and had a look at it, its installed via parallel, and appears
> to 'communicate' to the printer, as I can view ink levels etc. But
> when you print, the print monitor pops up, jumps to 20% (in word
> document), paper goes into the printer... and thats it. Printer sits
> and waits with the paper loaded, and the PC just sits on 20%. No error
> messages.
>
> A DOS spool job gets to 14%, test page gets to 9%.... etc....
>
> I can get a test page out of the printer itself... so the print
> cartridges are installed ok... any ideas?
>
> Windows 98 SE, Lexmark Z55 via Parallel Port. (ECP mode,
> bi-directional)
>
> Matt

Do you get a test page by using the driver properties on the computer, or
by pushing buttons on the actual printer? Lexmark (drivers) are pains,
Look for new ones on their web site. I bet there is some HP stuff left
over too causing a conflict.
Ciao, Dave

Peter Huebner

In article <r_IKb.4008$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi all,
>
> I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
> series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the manual
> but it fails to print.

If that were my friend, I'd tell them to take it back to the shop really
quickly and to upgrade to a *decent* printer (i.e. epson, canon, hp or
maybe even panasonic or brother) Anything but Lexmark ...

i.m.h.o, and y.m.m.v. naturally.

-Peter

Matthew Strickland

I can get a test page only from the printer itself.

Ive had no problems with any other Lexmark printer. - Epson or Cannon would
be the only other brand id prefer, HP but only the $500+ models.

Ill have a go at installing it on another machine first I think (with a
different OS), if it works ill look at different drivers for Win98. Ive
heard the drivers are a pain for these printers.

Matt

"Matthew Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:r_IKb.4008$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
> series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the

manual
> but it fails to print.
>
> I went and had a look at it, its installed via parallel, and appears to
> 'communicate' to the printer, as I can view ink levels etc. But when you
> print, the print monitor pops up, jumps to 20% (in word document), paper
> goes into the printer... and thats it. Printer sits and waits with the

paper
> loaded, and the PC just sits on 20%. No error messages.
>
> A DOS spool job gets to 14%, test page gets to 9%.... etc....
>
> I can get a test page out of the printer itself... so the print cartridges
> are installed ok... any ideas?
>
> Windows 98 SE, Lexmark Z55 via Parallel Port. (ECP mode, bi-directional)
>
> Matt

K & S

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 01:51:34 +1300, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <r_IKb.4008$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
>> series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the manual
>> but it fails to print.

>If that were my friend, I'd tell them to take it back to the shop really
>quickly and to upgrade to a *decent* printer (i.e. epson, canon, hp or
>maybe even panasonic or brother) Anything but Lexmark ...
>
>i.m.h.o, and y.m.m.v. naturally.
>
> -Peter

Yes they get 10 of my Crap marks..

Dave Taylor

Uninstall all printers from problem machine, reboot, reinstall lexmark.
Ciao, Dave

Trinity

wrote:

>In article <r_IKb.4008$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I friend has bought a Lexmark Z55 printer to replace the dying HP 600
>> series. They uninstalled the old HP, installed the lexmark as to the manual
>> but it fails to print.

>If that were my friend, I'd tell them to take it back to the shop really
>quickly and to upgrade to a *decent* printer (i.e. epson, canon, hp or
>maybe even panasonic or brother) Anything but Lexmark ...
>
>i.m.h.o, and y.m.m.v. naturally.
>
> -Peter

imho and ymmv I'd agree

Casio Z55 SD card rduke@alum.rpi.edu Digital Photography 0 06-14-2005 11:44 PM
Casio Elixim EX-Z55 v Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX7 - which to buy? Jason Sayer Digital Photography 0 10-25-2004 09:54 PM
Z55 cartridge. Soup Computer Support 1 02-23-2004 04:19 PM
Knoppix and lexmark Z55 Soup Computer Support 3 12-30-2003 02:32 PM
D-Link Print Server and Lexmark Z55 Printer Experienced but Undocumented Computer Support 0 12-27-2003 06:15 PM

Advertisments