Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Bond and Bond misleading?

Bond and Bond misleading?

Gurble

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:07:33 +1300, Lennier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
>
>> Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and
>> Bond to normally sell it $400 over that.

>Which would explain the massive discounting that they so readily agree to
>when asked what discount they are prepared to give...
>
>Lennier

It never ceases to amaze me, actually, how people continually fall for
this.

For example, Briscoes. They have everything overpriced, often close to
double what some things are elsewhere, and then continually have
"20-50% off!" sales.

It's obviously a have, but people can't miss a bargain, and come in
droves.

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

> Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and Bond
> to normally sell it $400 over that.

"suggested RRP" is usually the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM you'll find something sold
for (modulo blatent rip-off artists...) in tinpot retailers who buy
one-off from the wholesalers.

Karma

Smith's City. Was offered $150 discount off PC System for cash. Wow!
and 30 days to think about it. Went to their 'sale' during that 30
days and same PC was 'offered' $50 discount for cash. Told salesman
about previous offer he shrugged walked away, came back seconds later
and offered $75 discount. Didn't buy it, could have shown him card
with previous written offer but thought 'blow them'. Hate it when
different salesmen can make different seemingly random offers.

jerm

On 5 Jan 2004 11:19:54 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Karma) said

>Smith's City. Was offered $150 discount off PC System for cash. Wow!
>and 30 days to think about it. Went to their 'sale' during that 30
>days and same PC was 'offered' $50 discount for cash. Told salesman
>about previous offer he shrugged walked away, came back seconds later
>and offered $75 discount. Didn't buy it, could have shown him card
>with previous written offer but thought 'blow them'. Hate it when
>different salesmen can make different seemingly random offers.

Salesmen have freedom to negotiate, and probably a commission based on the
final sell price. So salesman 1 was desperate to make any sale, salesman 2
was near his quota, and prepared to hang tough to keep his $$$$$ up.

Gurble

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:19:09 +0100, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
>
>> Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and Bond
>> to normally sell it $400 over that.

>"suggested RRP" is usually the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM you'll find something sold
>for (modulo blatent rip-off artists...) in tinpot retailers who buy
>one-off from the wholesalers.

Not true. Most large retailers sell almost everything for over the
RRP.

Gordon

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 00:32:22 +1300, Lennier wrote:

> *Sometimes* Briscoes genuinely does have a product that is good value.
>
> Never, however, when not on sale.

ROTFL.

Gordon

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 11:19:54 -0800, Karma wrote:

> Smith's City. Was offered $150 discount off PC System for cash. Wow!
> and 30 days to think about it. Went to their 'sale' during that 30
> days and same PC was 'offered' $50 discount for cash. Told salesman
> about previous offer he shrugged walked away, came back seconds later
> and offered $75 discount. Didn't buy it, could have shown him card
> with previous written offer but thought 'blow them'. Hate it when
> different salesmen can make different seemingly random offers.

That is because you have not found the bottom line, or the line at which
they are not ready to sell at.

Gordon

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 12:06:09 +1300, Gurble wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:19:09 +0100, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
>>
>>> Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and Bond
>>> to normally sell it $400 over that.

>>"suggested RRP" is usually the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM you'll find something sold
>>for (modulo blatent rip-off artists...) in tinpot retailers who buy
>>one-off from the wholesalers.
>>

> Not true. Most large retailers sell almost everything for over the
> RRP.

Evidence please.

Jerry

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:55:37 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>sal wrote:
>> Anyone see the special that Bond and Bond currently have, where they
>> say they are giving 50% off the price of a Black Diamond TV, and
>> selling it for $499, saving $500!. I thought this sounded like a good
>> price, however, when I went to the manufacturers website at
>> http://www.melco.co.nz/blackdiamond/...sp?item=122043 to check
>> out the specs, I saw that the RRP is actually $599, and not $999 which
>> Bond and Bond claims it to be.

>Thats only the *Suggested* RRP. It wouldn't be that usual for Bond and Bond
>to normally sell it $400 over that.
>
>On another note about Bond and Bond. I went in there cause the little
>woman wanted a food processor. I found one that was $121. Me being me I
>wasn't sure if it would suit her so I didn't buy it and took her back the
>following day (ie. one day later) and there was a big sign out the front
>saying 10% off everything.
>Great I thought. Went to the same spot in the shop and the *same* food
>processor was now $135. I hit the salesman up about it and he said I was
>mistaken. I know I wasn't and didn't buy that one either. Brought one for
>$200 from a little store in Te Awamutu instead. I don't mind paying a
>premimum for honesty.

Both prices are very unusual, because nearly all prices in Bond and
Bond end in $9.99. A pirce of $121 or $135 would be very hard to
find. I can see your food processor being $119.99, $129.99 or
$139.99, but not 121 and 135. Are you sure you were in a Bond and
Bond?

Jerry

Worm

"sal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Anyone see the special that Bond and Bond currently have, where they
> say they are giving 50% off the price of a Black Diamond TV, and
> selling it for $499, saving $500!. I thought this sounded like a good
> price, however, when I went to the manufacturers website at
> http://www.melco.co.nz/blackdiamond/...sp?item=122043 to check
> out the specs, I saw that the RRP is actually $599, and not $999 which
> Bond and Bond claims it to be.

The "You won't beat a Bond's deal" slogan is to be taken literally, I
discovered a few weeks ago. They'll supposedly beat anyone else's price on
the same item. Well, that's what I was told

Seem to be an awful lot of businesses doing the whole beat everyone else's
price these days...!

Worm