Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > good DVD software?

good DVD software?

James Russell

Can anyone recommend any good DVD player software I could find online?

Currently using Xing, but it doesn't seem to perform well.
Obviously after something that allows multiple regions...

I can't remember why now but the generic windows one wasn't any good
either...

Thanks,
James

E. Scrooge

"James Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend any good DVD player software I could find online?
>
> Currently using Xing, but it doesn't seem to perform well.
> Obviously after something that allows multiple regions...
>
> I can't remember why now but the generic windows one wasn't any good
> either...
>
> Thanks,
> James

Have you tried the MS Media Player? Depending what version you have and
what you system is like.
One player. Just check the file types for "DVD".
Another player to try is InterActual Player 2.0 - which is free with some
DVD movies, and can easily be found on the Net. You might just need a
decent codec. If you've tried WinDVD then you'll have the codec.
DVD Genie should handle any region problems.

E. Scrooge

Lebowski

"James Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend any good DVD player software I could find online?
>
> Currently using Xing, but it doesn't seem to perform well.
> Obviously after something that allows multiple regions...
>
> I can't remember why now but the generic windows one wasn't any good
> either...
>
> Thanks,
> James

Get Power DVD and use DVD Genie in conjunction with it to break down the
region protection. DVD Genie doesn't seem to work with Windows Media Player
region-crackingwise, that may be why you weren't that amused with what WMP
had to offer (also lack of viewing features / options). But yeah, Power DVD
with DVD Genie does the trick brilliantly. I guess you've already cracked
the firmware on your DVD drive to unlock all regions..

steve

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:17:40 +1300, James Russell wrote:

> Can anyone recommend any good DVD player software I could find online?
>
> Currently using Xing, but it doesn't seem to perform well.
> Obviously after something that allows multiple regions...
>
> I can't remember why now but the generic windows one wasn't any good
> either...

If you find it hard on Windows, try Xine on Linux.

It pays no attention whatever to region codes.....and works very well.

I was just watching "Blade Runner: The Director's Cut" on it a few minutes
ago.

Lennier

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:40:27 +1300, steve wrote:

> If you find it hard on Windows, try Xine on Linux.
>
> It pays no attention whatever to region codes.....and works very well.
>
> I was just watching "Blade Runner: The Director's Cut" on it a few minutes
> ago.

how well does it handle multi-channel surround sound?

Lennier

steve

Lennier allegedly said:

> On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 23:40:27 +1300, steve wrote:
>
>> If you find it hard on Windows, try Xine on Linux.
>>
>> It pays no attention whatever to region codes.....and works very well.
>>
>> I was just watching "Blade Runner: The Director's Cut" on it a few
>> minutes ago.

> how well does it handle multi-channel surround sound?
>
> Lennier

On Xine, dolby 5.1 is supported.....and the rest is up to ALSA or OSS and
your sound card. The SB Live support is excellent.

For dolby on linux with DVDs check this out:

http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howt...l/howto-4.html

I prefer ALSA....which definitely supports it.

Lennier

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:46:23 +1300, steve wrote:

>> how well does it handle multi-channel surround sound?

> On Xine, dolby 5.1 is supported.....and the rest is up to ALSA or OSS and
> your sound card. The SB Live support is excellent.
>
> For dolby on linux with DVDs check this out:
>
> http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howt...l/howto-4.html
>
> I prefer ALSA....which definitely supports it.

Thanks for the link and the info - appreciated.

Lennier

Graeme Woollett

Lennier wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:46:23 +1300, steve wrote:
>

>>>how well does it handle multi-channel surround sound?

>>On Xine, dolby 5.1 is supported.....and the rest is up to ALSA or OSS and
>>your sound card. The SB Live support is excellent.
>>
>>For dolby on linux with DVDs check this out:
>>
>>http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howt...l/howto-4.html
>>
>>I prefer ALSA....which definitely supports it.

> Thanks for the link and the info - appreciated.
>
> Lennier

Xine + ALSA also does DTS aka AC5 very nicely through my SBLive 5.1.
It just did it, no head scratching reqd.

Graeme

pete

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 23:57:50 +1300, Lennier wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:46:23 +1300, steve wrote:
>
>>> how well does it handle multi-channel surround sound?

>> On Xine, dolby 5.1 is supported.....and the rest is up to ALSA or OSS and
>> your sound card. The SB Live support is excellent.
>>
>> For dolby on linux with DVDs check this out:
>>
>> http://dvd.sourceforge.net/xine-howt...l/howto-4.html
>>
>> I prefer ALSA....which definitely supports it.

> Thanks for the link and the info - appreciated.
>
> Lennier

Hey Len, what newsreader are you posting with? Someone here (possibly
yourself) recommended 40titude Dialog, so I'm trying that. It's pretty
neat, and whenever one of your posts is read, there is a little picture in
the top right of the article panel. How do you do that?

bambam

pete <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:f5eouj13xlol.14wlgnrxp1m1r$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hey Len, what newsreader are you posting with? Someone here
> (possibly yourself) recommended 40titude Dialog, so I'm trying
> that. It's pretty neat, and whenever one of your posts is read,
> there is a little picture in the top right of the article panel.
> How do you do that?

I'm not Len, but I might be able to help anyway.
It's an X-Face, which is a black and white image 48*48 pixels in
size.
First you need to select an image that you like, resize it, convert
it to black and white, then run it through an online converter-

http://www.dairiki.org/xface/

Or use a converter program on your HDD-

http://www.xs4all.nl/~walterln/winface/

Either of these ways will give you a string of text that you put into
the headers of your post, have a look at my headers for X-Face, then
newsreaders that support this feature will display them.

--
I plan on living forever. So far, so good.