Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > reply News Servers

reply News Servers

al

Hi Gurble

Currently with Splurge but your suggestion worked!

Been trying with other free news servers but got error messages to the
effect that I'm not authorised to log in, etc, etc.

It's good that I found Google Groups to post this message.

Thank you very much

Gurble

On 3 Jan 2004 19:57:19 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (al) wrote:

>Hi Gurble
>
>Currently with Splurge but your suggestion worked!
>
>Been trying with other free news servers but got error messages to the
>effect that I'm not authorised to log in, etc, etc.
>
>It's good that I found Google Groups to post this message.
>
>Thank you very much

No problems

I traced your posting IP address back to Quicksilver. I think Splurge
are a Quicksilver reseller, hence the Quicksilver NNTP server should
do the trick.

Glad you got it sorted.

Gurble

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:17:47 +1300, "al"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 18:03:52 +1300, Gurble wrote:
>

>> I traced your posting IP address back to Quicksilver. I think Splurge
>> are a Quicksilver reseller, hence the Quicksilver NNTP server should
>> do the trick.

>Just out of interest, how do you do this?

In the headers of your email, is the line:

This is the IP address of either your machine, or your ISP's proxy.

There are several ways of performing a "Whois" query. A "Whois" query
tells you who the block of IP addresses has been assigned to (your
ISP).

In Windows, unless I'm mistaken, there is no Whois command as standard
(although there are plenty of programs to do this, such as Sam Spade).

The easiest way is to just head over to www.samspade.org, type the IP
address in the box, and click "Do Stuff".

Another way is to open a dos window and type "tracert xxx", where xxx
is the IP address. This will perform a trace to the IP address, and
also perform a rDNS, which usually gives enough information to
ascertain the ISP.

Alternatively, if you were in a hurry, you could type "tracert -h 1
xxx" to just go one "hop" - note the "Tracing route to xxxxx" at the
top, where xxxxx is the rDNS entry.

Another way is to go to www.arin.net, and enter the IP address in the
whois box. This comes out with APNIC, the Asia Pacific Network
Information Centre, who handles IP addresses for the Asia Pacific
region. Armed with this information, you can head over to
www.apnic.net and enter the IP address in the Whois box there.

HTH

Gurble

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:12:35 +1300, Gurble <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In the headers of your email, is the line:

This should, of course, read "the headers of your post", although the
same applies with email.

al

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:13:24 +1300, Gurble wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:12:35 +1300, Gurble <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In the headers of your email, is the line:

> This should, of course, read "the headers of your post", although the
> same applies with email.

Thanks for such an informative post.

It's nice to learn something everyday

Regards.