Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > internet banking and public holidays

internet banking and public holidays

cowboyz

I brought this dvdr on auction and tried to transfer funds and it will not
pay until monday. Now, what is up with that?

Why is it bank transfers can't go through on public holidays or weekends?
What intervention is required by whoever has to be at work for a bank
transfer to take place? I would have thought that it would be easy as
software going .. IF A>B then PAY else REJECT. Doesn't seem to me that any
intervention on bank staff is required at all?

Any thoughts?

My gumble for the day.

The Other Guy

Are you transfering between different banks?

My understanding is, in the case of the ASB at least, that transfers are
immediate if they are to other ASB customers, irrespective of the time.

I agree, it is not acceptable.

The Other Guy

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt5hv0$svp$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I brought this dvdr on auction and tried to transfer funds and it will not
> pay until monday. Now, what is up with that?
>
> Why is it bank transfers can't go through on public holidays or weekends?
> What intervention is required by whoever has to be at work for a bank
> transfer to take place? I would have thought that it would be easy as
> software going .. IF A>B then PAY else REJECT. Doesn't seem to me that

any
> intervention on bank staff is required at all?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> My gumble for the day.

Lennier

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:54:59 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

> Why is it bank transfers can't go through on public holidays or weekends?
> What intervention is required by whoever has to be at work for a bank
> transfer to take place? I would have thought that it would be easy as
> software going .. IF A>B then PAY else REJECT. Doesn't seem to me that
> any intervention on bank staff is required at all?

Perhaps it's because the staff are on holiday, and perhaps it is because
inter-bank transfers are still being done by tape transfer.

Perhaps it is because banks want to keep the use of your money for as long
as possible.

Perhaps it is because the banks don't feel any need to improve the quality
of a service that they don't receive ANY benefit from.

Perhaps the banks simply cannot be bothered.

Lennier

Matthew Poole

In article <pan.2004.01.03.05.54.02.169985@TRACKER>, Lennier <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 17:54:59 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

*SNIP*
>Perhaps it is because the banks don't feel any need to improve the quality
>of a service that they don't receive ANY benefit from.

*SNIP*

Don't receive any benefit from my arse. Internet banking is by far the
most economic way for banks to provide their services. It's cheaper
than phone banking, and much, much cheaper than meat-space services.

--
Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
"Veni, vidi, velcro...

My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

GraB

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:54:59 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I brought this dvdr on auction and tried to transfer funds and it will not
>pay until monday. Now, what is up with that?
>
>Why is it bank transfers can't go through on public holidays or weekends?
>What intervention is required by whoever has to be at work for a bank
>transfer to take place? I would have thought that it would be easy as
>software going .. IF A>B then PAY else REJECT. Doesn't seem to me that any
>intervention on bank staff is required at all?
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>My gumble for the day.

I went to pay a bill online at ANZ on the bill's due date and found

Due to the New Year's holidays, Automatic Payments and Internet
Banking transfers due to be processed during the period of 1st January
to 5th January will be processed from 2:30pm on 5th January 2004.

That means my bill will be paid late. Damn.

cowboyz

GraB wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:54:59 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I brought this dvdr on auction and tried to transfer funds and it
>> will not pay until monday. Now, what is up with that?
>>
>> Why is it bank transfers can't go through on public holidays or
>> weekends? What intervention is required by whoever has to be at work
>> for a bank transfer to take place? I would have thought that it
>> would be easy as software going .. IF A>B then PAY else REJECT.
>> Doesn't seem to me that any intervention on bank staff is required
>> at all?
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> My gumble for the day.
>>

> I went to pay a bill online at ANZ on the bill's due date and found
>
> Due to the New Year's holidays, Automatic Payments and Internet
> Banking transfers due to be processed during the period of 1st January
> to 5th January will be processed from 2:30pm on 5th January 2004.
>
> That means my bill will be paid late. Damn.

I recently changed to National (starting to wonder why)

I opened the account with a nil balance cause I was walking past. Gave me
a cheque book.
Came home and paid worker $300.
Jumped on net and transferred $5000 from TSB to National.
Worker Banked cheque to his account following day.
They managed to bounce the cheque?!?!?!?

How???

They were not very co-operative and told me not to write cheques when the
funds weren't there. (so much for cheques in the mail)

I thought that life would get easier with internet banking. Thinking not.

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 20:58:21 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>GraB wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:54:59 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I brought this dvdr on auction and tried to transfer funds and it
>>> will not pay until monday. Now, what is up with that?
>>>
>>> Why is it bank transfers can't go through on public holidays or
>>> weekends? What intervention is required by whoever has to be at work
>>> for a bank transfer to take place? I would have thought that it
>>> would be easy as software going .. IF A>B then PAY else REJECT.
>>> Doesn't seem to me that any intervention on bank staff is required
>>> at all?
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> My gumble for the day.
>>>

>> I went to pay a bill online at ANZ on the bill's due date and found
>>
>> Due to the New Year's holidays, Automatic Payments and Internet
>> Banking transfers due to be processed during the period of 1st January
>> to 5th January will be processed from 2:30pm on 5th January 2004.
>>
>> That means my bill will be paid late. Damn.

>I recently changed to National (starting to wonder why)
>
>I opened the account with a nil balance cause I was walking past. Gave me
>a cheque book.
>Came home and paid worker $300.
>Jumped on net and transferred $5000 from TSB to National.
>Worker Banked cheque to his account following day.
>They managed to bounce the cheque?!?!?!?
>
>How???
>
>They were not very co-operative and told me not to write cheques when the
>funds weren't there. (so much for cheques in the mail)
>
>I thought that life would get easier with internet banking. Thinking not.

That's odd. National Bank treats electronic deposits as cleared funds.

Check your bank statement - did your $5,000 transfer from the TSB show
up on the same day as the $300 withdrawal?

pete

"C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 20:58:21 +1300, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >GraB wrote:

> >> I went to pay a bill online at ANZ on the bill's due date and found
> >>
> >> Due to the New Year's holidays, Automatic Payments and Internet
> >> Banking transfers due to be processed during the period of 1st January
> >> to 5th January will be processed from 2:30pm on 5th January 2004.
> >>
> >> That means my bill will be paid late. Damn.

> >I recently changed to National (starting to wonder why)
> >
> >I opened the account with a nil balance cause I was walking past. Gave

me
> >a cheque book.
> >Came home and paid worker $300.
> >Jumped on net and transferred $5000 from TSB to National.
> >Worker Banked cheque to his account following day.
> >They managed to bounce the cheque?!?!?!?
> >
> >How???
> >
> >They were not very co-operative and told me not to write cheques when the
> >funds weren't there. (so much for cheques in the mail)
> >
> >I thought that life would get easier with internet banking. Thinking

not.

> That's odd. National Bank treats electronic deposits as cleared funds.
>
> Check your bank statement - did your $5,000 transfer from the TSB show
> up on the same day as the $300 withdrawal?

I made an EFT-POS payment at Mitre 10 yesterday (Friday). Checked the bank
account online today (Saturday) and it shows as debited to my account
05/01/04 (Monday). Also National Bank.

Lennier

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 20:58:21 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

> They were not very co-operative and told me not to write cheques when the
> funds weren't there.

Fair comment.

If funds are not actually IN the account, then you shouldn't attempt
to draw against the account.

Lennier

cowboyz

>> I thought that life would get easier with internet banking.
>> Thinking not.

> That's odd. National Bank treats electronic deposits as cleared funds.
>
> Check your bank statement - did your $5,000 transfer from the TSB show
> up on the same day as the $300 withdrawal?

Yep. shows up as withdraw first. then deposit then $25 bank charge for
dishonoured cheque. ****ed me off. I could have brought a pack of smoke
with that $25.