Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Box Configuration Suggestions Pls

Box Configuration Suggestions Pls

Wellygoggles

Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus scan,
defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers are
all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very grateful if
you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the things I
do on the net the most are
- play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have left
the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in the
lead SIGH)
- listen to the UK radio
- video-chatting
- download mp3s

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Lebowski

"Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qnrJb.15484$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus

scan,
> defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
> think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers are
> all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very grateful

if
> you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the things

> do on the net the most are
> - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
> dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have left
> the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in the
> lead SIGH)
> - listen to the UK radio
> - video-chatting
> - download mp3s
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet Upgrade
Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with TasTech (including
buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have always been good to me and
the courier charge is very reasonable too. For three hundred bucks you can't
go wrong. Here are the details:

Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
Integrated 56k Modem
Integrated Sound
Integrated 10/100 LAN

HTH

ac

In article <qnrJb.15484$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus scan,
> defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
> think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers are
> all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very grateful if
> you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the things I
> do on the net the most are
> - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
> dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have left
> the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in the
> lead SIGH)
> - listen to the UK radio
> - video-chatting
> - download mp3s
>
> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Well before splashing out. How about:

a) Testing to see if your memory is defective.
b) Test to see if your hard drive has bad sectors.
c) Reinstall/Upgrade your operating system.
d) Borrow someone else's power supply to check that out.

These options are cheaper...

~misfit~

Lebowski wrote:
> "Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qnrJb.15484$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a
>> virus scan, defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to
>> no avail. So I think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse,
>> printer, speakers are all ok), but I don't know what I should buy,
>> so I would be very grateful if you guys could make your
>> recommendations based on the fact that the things I do on the net
>> the most are - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating
>> is dropping dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents
>> presume I have left the game, therefore, they get the win even
>> though I may have been in the lead SIGH)
>> - listen to the UK radio
>> - video-chatting
>> - download mp3s
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
>>

> Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet
> Upgrade Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with
> TasTech (including buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have
> always been good to me and the courier charge is very reasonable too.
> For three hundred bucks you can't go wrong. Here are the details:
>
> Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
> AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
> PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
> 256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
> Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
> Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
> Integrated 56k Modem
> Integrated Sound
> Integrated 10/100 LAN
>
> HTH

That's a great deal. I'm not a fan of PC Chips boards but then again I like
to fiddle and they usually have very few options in the BIOS. For what
Wellgoogles wants that box would be great.
--
~misfit~

Dumdedo

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:16:55 +1300, "Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus scan,
>defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
>think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers are
>all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very grateful if
>you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the things I
>do on the net the most are
>- play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
>dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have left
>the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in the
>lead SIGH)
>- listen to the UK radio
>- video-chatting
>- download mp3s
>
>Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Yes go for a Intel based system its the Only way..

harry

~misfit~ wrote:
> Lebowski wrote:
>> "Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:qnrJb.15484$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a
>>> virus scan, defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to
>>> no avail. So I think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse,
>>> printer, speakers are all ok), but I don't know what I should buy,
>>> so I would be very grateful if you guys could make your
>>> recommendations based on the fact that the things I do on the net
>>> the most are - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating
>>> is dropping dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents
>>> presume I have left the game, therefore, they get the win even
>>> though I may have been in the lead SIGH)
>>> - listen to the UK radio
>>> - video-chatting
>>> - download mp3s
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
>>>

>> Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet
>> Upgrade Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with
>> TasTech (including buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have
>> always been good to me and the courier charge is very reasonable too.
>> For three hundred bucks you can't go wrong. Here are the details:
>>
>> Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
>> AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
>> PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
>> 256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
>> Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
>> Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
>> Integrated 56k Modem
>> Integrated Sound
>> Integrated 10/100 LAN
>>
>> HTH

> That's a great deal. I'm not a fan of PC Chips boards but then again
> I like to fiddle and they usually have very few options in the BIOS.
> For what Wellgoogles wants that box would be great.

In Wellington where I presume Wellygoggles is, Atech opposite the Chaffers
Supermarket have a similar upgrade deal, not as cheap, but as I say, local.
www.atech.co.nz
www.pp.co.nz who are in Newlands also have a similar deal.
Both of them will take your old box and transfer the drives.
Gyrotech in Marion St would probably do something similar, but reports of
their service are variable.

Dumdedo

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:29:45 +1300, "Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:qnrJb.15484$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus

>scan,
>> defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
>> think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers are
>> all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very grateful

>if
>> you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the things

>> do on the net the most are
>> - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
>> dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have left
>> the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in the
>> lead SIGH)
>> - listen to the UK radio
>> - video-chatting
>> - download mp3s
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
>>

>Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet Upgrade
>Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with TasTech (including
>buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have always been good to me and
>the courier charge is very reasonable too. For three hundred bucks you can't
>go wrong. Here are the details:
>
>Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
>AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
>PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
>256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
>Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
>Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
>Integrated 56k Modem
>Integrated Sound
>Integrated 10/100 LAN
>
>HTH

AMD Please don't make me sick..

AMD Toys for little boys..

pete

"Dumdedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:29:45 +1300, "Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:qnrJb.15484$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus

> >scan,
> >> defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
> >> think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers

are
> >> all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very

grateful
> >if
> >> you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the

things
> >> do on the net the most are
> >> - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
> >> dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have

left
> >> the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in

the
> >> lead SIGH)
> >> - listen to the UK radio
> >> - video-chatting
> >> - download mp3s
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
> >>

> >Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet

Upgrade
> >Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with TasTech

(including
> >buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have always been good to me

and
> >the courier charge is very reasonable too. For three hundred bucks you

can't
> >go wrong. Here are the details:
> >
> >Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
> >AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
> >PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
> >256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
> >Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
> >Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
> >Integrated 56k Modem
> >Integrated Sound
> >Integrated 10/100 LAN
> >
> >HTH
> >

> AMD Please don't make me sick..
>

> AMD Toys for little boys..

Woger and his little boys fetish... Please don't make me sick

Lebowski

"harry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JUvJb.15549$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> > Lebowski wrote:
> >> "Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:qnrJb.15484$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet
> >> Upgrade Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with
> >> TasTech (including buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have
> >> always been good to me and the courier charge is very reasonable too.
> >> For three hundred bucks you can't go wrong. Here are the details:
> >>
> >> Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
> >> AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
> >> PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
> >> 256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
> >> Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
> >> Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
> >> Integrated 56k Modem
> >> Integrated Sound
> >> Integrated 10/100 LAN
> >>
> >> HTH

> > That's a great deal. I'm not a fan of PC Chips boards but then again
> > I like to fiddle and they usually have very few options in the BIOS.
> > For what Wellgoogles wants that box would be great.

> In Wellington where I presume Wellygoggles is, Atech opposite the Chaffers
> Supermarket have a similar upgrade deal, not as cheap, but as I say,

local.
> www.atech.co.nz
> www.pp.co.nz who are in Newlands also have a similar deal.
> Both of them will take your old box and transfer the drives.
> Gyrotech in Marion St would probably do something similar, but reports of
> their service are variable.

Yes I totally agree with misfit and harry. Personally, I am not a fan of PC
Chips motherboards either, but I bought the system for my mother whose needs
are very similar to those described in the original posting.

Tas Tech's is a good example of this kind of deal, and so if you can find a
similar deal locally, then great - there are some nice deals for barebones
systems in this modest pricerange. Shopping around is the key; let Pricespy
be your friend

Lebowski

"Dumdedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 17:29:45 +1300, "Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"Wellygoggles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:qnrJb.15484$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Well I'm fed up of my PC freezing. I've updated drivers, done a virus

> >scan,
> >> defrag, squirted a can of air to clean the fan - all to no avail. So I
> >> think I'll buy a new box (keyboard, monitor, mouse, printer, speakers

are
> >> all ok), but I don't know what I should buy, so I would be very

grateful
> >if
> >> you guys could make your recommendations based on the fact that the

things
> >> do on the net the most are
> >> - play Literati (a Scrabble-like Yahoo game) (my rating is dropping
> >> dramatically because my system freezes & my opponents presume I have

left
> >> the game, therefore, they get the win even though I may have been in

the
> >> lead SIGH)
> >> - listen to the UK radio
> >> - video-chatting
> >> - download mp3s
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
> >>

> >Hi, this is a super-cheap way to do it - try the TasTech "Internet

Upgrade
> >Box", at www.tastech.co.nz - I've done much dealing with TasTech

(including
> >buying these various upgrade boxes) and they have always been good to me

and
> >the courier charge is very reasonable too. For three hundred bucks you

can't
> >go wrong. Here are the details:
> >
> >Internet Upgrade Box $315 inc GST
> >AMD Duron 1.6GHz CPU & Fan
> >PC Chips M825LMR Motherboard
> >256Mb Adata PC3200 DDR400
> >Integrated Graphics (+ AGP Slot)
> >Mid ATX Tower Case 300w
> >Integrated 56k Modem
> >Integrated Sound
> >Integrated 10/100 LAN
> >
> >HTH
> >

> AMD Please don't make me sick..
>

> AMD Toys for little boys..

Um, they are cheaper, and good performance (Durons are actually good solid
performers)...and perfect for what this prospective consumer wants. Were you
just trying to be funny? Because you don't sound very switched on to the
original poster's requirements to me. Hell, I'm not a fan of Celerons
either, but they all have their time and place.