Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Funny .wav files

Funny .wav files

Gib Bogle

Craig Shore wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:10:19 +1300, Gib Bogle
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
>>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
>>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
>>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
>>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
>>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
>>
>>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
>>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?

> Are you sure they are really wave files? Perhaps they are mp3 or
> something else that winamp and media player support, but SoundStream
> doesn't? How big are the files, and what is the play time in winamp?
>
> Other than that, the suggestions others have made here should work.
>
> GSpot will identify what the file is. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

I installed AudioConverter and converted the files to MP3 successfully.

Gib

Shannon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
>
>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?
>
>Gib

They're probably compressed WAV files. (One thing that's not so well
known is that WAV files can use any ACM codec - same codecs as you can
use with AVI files.) Media Player and WinAmp try to open the WAV
files through the standard windows "ACM" (Audio Compression Manager)
which uses the codecs to decompressess as need be.

Roxio SoundStream might be assuming that they're uncompressed WAV
files and using its own routines to access them. (Cool Edit 2000 is
interesting - if you give it an uncompressed WAV file, it uses its own
code, but if you give it a compressed one, you see a dialog about it
using the ACM to decode the WAV.)

How to tell? In Winamp, bring up the file info for the file. If it
says on the second line "PCM" followed by some stats, it's
uncompressed. If it says something else, like MP3 it's compressed.
(And, yes, it is possible to have a MP3 compressed WAV file. I've
done it occasionally - it's what happens when you just get the audio
from an mp3 compressed avi output to a file.)

Easier option if they're small files: load them into Windows Sound
Recorder, go File, Properties and that shows you the current format.
You can also click "Convert Now" and you can convert them (convert to
PCM format, whatever resolution and rate you think is approprate.)