Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Funny .wav files

Funny .wav files

Gib Bogle

I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
..wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.

I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?

Gib

Lebowski

"Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt0od9$4q2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
> WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
> .wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
> destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
> them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
> (sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
>
> I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
> might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?
>
> Gib

Maybe you could try loading them into Winamp, then change the 'output' to
'DiskWriter' (options\preferences\plugins\output\nullsoft disk writer etc)
and play them, thus creating a 'new copy' of the weird wav file(s) with
hopefully all the usual file information this time (remember to change your
Winamp back to "wave out" once you are done!).

Failing that, you could just use a CD-RW (rather than a cd-r) to create an
audio cd of these weird wav files - drag and drop them into Nero, burn it.
You will have created a regular audio cd that you can later erase. Then,
using this temporary cd, use a cd-ripping program like CD-Ex or Exact Audio
Copy to rip these tracks to wav. Surely then, you would have some regular,
valid wav files

GraB

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 22:59:50 +1300, "Lebowski"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bt0od9$4q2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
>> WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
>> .wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
>> destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
>> them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
>> (sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
>>
>> I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
>> might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?
>>
>> Gib
>>

>Maybe you could try loading them into Winamp, then change the 'output' to
>'DiskWriter' (options\preferences\plugins\output\nullsoft disk writer etc)
>and play them, thus creating a 'new copy' of the weird wav file(s) with
>hopefully all the usual file information this time (remember to change your
>Winamp back to "wave out" once you are done!).
>
>Failing that, you could just use a CD-RW (rather than a cd-r) to create an
>audio cd of these weird wav files - drag and drop them into Nero, burn it.
>You will have created a regular audio cd that you can later erase. Then,
>using this temporary cd, use a cd-ripping program like CD-Ex or Exact Audio
>Copy to rip these tracks to wav. Surely then, you would have some regular,
>valid wav files

How about converting them to high-bitrate MP3s and back to .wav?

Craig Shore

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:10:19 +1300, Gib Bogle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
>
>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?

Are you sure they are really wave files? Perhaps they are mp3 or
something else that winamp and media player support, but SoundStream
doesn't? How big are the files, and what is the play time in winamp?

Other than that, the suggestions others have made here should work.

GSpot will identify what the file is. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Gib Bogle

Lebowski wrote:

> "Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bt0od9$4q2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
>>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
>>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
>>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
>>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
>>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
>>
>>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
>>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?
>>
>>Gib
>>

> Maybe you could try loading them into Winamp, then change the 'output' to
> 'DiskWriter' (options\preferences\plugins\output\nullsoft disk writer etc)
> and play them, thus creating a 'new copy' of the weird wav file(s) with
> hopefully all the usual file information this time (remember to change your
> Winamp back to "wave out" once you are done!).
>
> Failing that, you could just use a CD-RW (rather than a cd-r) to create an
> audio cd of these weird wav files - drag and drop them into Nero, burn it.
> You will have created a regular audio cd that you can later erase. Then,
> using this temporary cd, use a cd-ripping program like CD-Ex or Exact Audio
> Copy to rip these tracks to wav. Surely then, you would have some regular,
> valid wav files

The version of Winamp that plays these files, Winamp3, does not appear
to have any way to select output. Actually I can't find
options\preferences\plugins at all. I downloaded an output plugin and
put it in winamp3\plugins, but that made no difference. So I installed
Winamp5, but it won't play these .wav files.

Gib

Gib Bogle

Craig Shore wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:10:19 +1300, Gib Bogle
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
>>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
>>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
>>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
>>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
>>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
>>
>>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
>>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?

> Are you sure they are really wave files? Perhaps they are mp3 or
> something else that winamp and media player support, but SoundStream
> doesn't? How big are the files, and what is the play time in winamp?
>
> Other than that, the suggestions others have made here should work.
>
> GSpot will identify what the file is. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Thanks. gspot thinks it is a wav file. The audio codec is adpcm
(0x0002) Microsoft, the bitrate is 44100 Hz. The files range in size
between 30 MB and 100 MB. I believe each is a full album (Rolling
Stones, in case you're interested), which I guess means they are
extremely compressed and not high quality, although they sound OK on my
lo-fi computer speakers. Maybe SoundStream doesn't recognise such low
quality wav files.

Gib

pete

"Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt1tgk$voe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Craig Shore wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 22:10:19 +1300, Gib Bogle
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
> >>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
> >>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
> >>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
> >>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
> >>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
> >>
> >>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
> >>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?

> > Are you sure they are really wave files? Perhaps they are mp3 or
> > something else that winamp and media player support, but SoundStream
> > doesn't? How big are the files, and what is the play time in winamp?
> >
> > Other than that, the suggestions others have made here should work.
> >
> > GSpot will identify what the file is. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

> Thanks. gspot thinks it is a wav file. The audio codec is adpcm
> (0x0002) Microsoft, the bitrate is 44100 Hz. The files range in size
> between 30 MB and 100 MB. I believe each is a full album (Rolling
> Stones, in case you're interested), which I guess means they are
> extremely compressed and not high quality, although they sound OK on my
> lo-fi computer speakers. Maybe SoundStream doesn't recognise such low
> quality wav files.
>
> Gib

This sounds like (bad pun) wav files I have on a CD titled "Rock Legends" -
the disk contains 25 full Beatles albums, each compressed to around 50 - 60
megs. They can only be played i a PC by running the "beatles.exe" that's in
the root dir of the CD which starts a player with all the album cover art,
lyrics, etc

GraB

>The version of Winamp that plays these files, Winamp3, does not appear
>to have any way to select output. Actually I can't find
>options\preferences\plugins at all. I downloaded an output plugin and
>put it in winamp3\plugins, but that made no difference. So I installed
>Winamp5, but it won't play these .wav files.

Will they convert to MP3?

Craig Shore

On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 08:32:35 +1300, Gib Bogle
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lebowski wrote:
>
>> "Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bt0od9$4q2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I have some .wav files, I can't recall where from, that I can play with
>>>WinAmp or Media Player, but they are somehow not recognised as legit
>>>.wav files by Roxio SoundStream. When I attempt to add them to the
>>>destination list they don't appear in the list. When I try to look at
>>>them in Roxio's Sound Editor they do not open, and the normal .wav info
>>>(sampling rate, sampling size, duration etc.) is blank.
>>>
>>>I'd like to find a way to get these onto CD. Is there a program that
>>>might be able to read them and store them as proper .wav files?
>>>
>>>Gib
>>>

>> Maybe you could try loading them into Winamp, then change the 'output' to
>> 'DiskWriter' (options\preferences\plugins\output\nullsoft disk writer etc)
>> and play them, thus creating a 'new copy' of the weird wav file(s) with
>> hopefully all the usual file information this time (remember to change your
>> Winamp back to "wave out" once you are done!).
>>
>> Failing that, you could just use a CD-RW (rather than a cd-r) to create an
>> audio cd of these weird wav files - drag and drop them into Nero, burn it.
>> You will have created a regular audio cd that you can later erase. Then,
>> using this temporary cd, use a cd-ripping program like CD-Ex or Exact Audio
>> Copy to rip these tracks to wav. Surely then, you would have some regular,
>> valid wav files

>The version of Winamp that plays these files, Winamp3, does not appear
>to have any way to select output. Actually I can't find
>options\preferences\plugins at all. I downloaded an output plugin and
>put it in winamp3\plugins, but that made no difference. So I installed
>Winamp5, but it won't play these .wav files.

In Winamp 3 press CTRL-P to get the preference up, and it's under
Plugins - Output

Gib Bogle

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 08:32:35 +1300, Gib Bogle
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Lebowski wrote:
>>

>>>"Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:bt0od9$4q2$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Maybe you could try loading them into Winamp, then change the 'output' to
>>>'DiskWriter' (options\preferences\plugins\output\nullsoft disk writer etc)
>>>and play them, thus creating a 'new copy' of the weird wav file(s) with
>>>hopefully all the usual file information this time (remember to change your
>>>Winamp back to "wave out" once you are done!).
>>>
>>>Failing that, you could just use a CD-RW (rather than a cd-r) to create an
>>>audio cd of these weird wav files - drag and drop them into Nero, burn it.
>>>You will have created a regular audio cd that you can later erase. Then,
>>>using this temporary cd, use a cd-ripping program like CD-Ex or Exact Audio
>>>Copy to rip these tracks to wav. Surely then, you would have some regular,
>>>valid wav files

>>The version of Winamp that plays these files, Winamp3, does not appear
>>to have any way to select output. Actually I can't find
>>options\preferences\plugins at all. I downloaded an output plugin and
>>put it in winamp3\plugins, but that made no difference. So I installed
>>Winamp5, but it won't play these .wav files.

> In Winamp 3 press CTRL-P to get the preference up, and it's under
> Plugins - Output

What I have is actually Winamp 3.0D, which may be different in some way
from Winamp3. In any case, however I bring up the Preferences window (I
can see 3 ways to get to it) the same list of items appears: Bookmarks,
System (Media, Display, Advanced, Playlists, Usage, Browser), Internet,
Audio (CD Playback, MIDI playback, DirectSound), Video, Skins, Add-Ons,
Color, Media Info Editor. No sign of plugins.

Gib