Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > setting up a wireless network to connect laptop to main pc

setting up a wireless network to connect laptop to main pc

=?Utf-8?B?bWF0dA==?=

please help! i am at my wits end.
I have a windows xp computer which is connected to a wireless belkin router
via an ethernet cable, which in turn is connected to the intenet via a ntl
cable broadband modem. my toshiba laptop is connected wirelessly to the
belkin router and i can access the internet wirelessly on my laptop.
what i want to do is connect my laptop to my pc, wirelessly via my belkin
router, so that i can share files. i have tried to get them to connect, but i
cannot figure it out.
how do i do this? do i have to set my belkin router to allow connection?
please help....

divorce immenent!

Malke

matt wrote:

> please help! i am at my wits end.
> I have a windows xp computer which is connected to a wireless belkin
> router via an ethernet cable, which in turn is connected to the
> intenet via a ntl cable broadband modem. my toshiba laptop is
> connected wirelessly to the belkin router and i can access the
> internet wirelessly on my laptop. what i want to do is connect my
> laptop to my pc, wirelessly via my belkin router, so that i can share
> files. i have tried to get them to connect, but i cannot figure it
> out. how do i do this? do i have to set my belkin router to allow
> connection? please help....
>
> divorce immenent!

You simply need to set up file & printer sharing for your local area
network. Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to
enable File & Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that
this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts as a firewall, then you're
fine. If you have third-party firewall software, configure it to allow
the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually do this with my
firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet.

Shared Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network
troubleshooter by MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it
and it will usually pinpoint the problem area(s) -
http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQw==?=

Matt,

I had the same problem. I solved it by turning off the firewalls on both
PCs. Immediately they could see each other's shared folders. Configure your
firewalls to "trust" the connected PCs and then turn the firewalls back on.
(You MUST turn them back on!!)

Peter C

"matt" wrote:

> please help! i am at my wits end.
> I have a windows xp computer which is connected to a wireless belkin router
> via an ethernet cable, which in turn is connected to the intenet via a ntl
> cable broadband modem. my toshiba laptop is connected wirelessly to the
> belkin router and i can access the internet wirelessly on my laptop.
> what i want to do is connect my laptop to my pc, wirelessly via my belkin
> router, so that i can share files. i have tried to get them to connect, but i
> cannot figure it out.
> how do i do this? do i have to set my belkin router to allow connection?
> please help....
>
> divorce immenent!

=?Utf-8?B?bWF0dA==?=

Thank you guys!

I managed to set up the home network in 5 minutes! thanks to your advice!!

I turned off the firewalls and enabled file and printer sharing.

(I had to enable server services in services.msc)

Firewalls back on and WPA-PSK protection on
router.

yet again i say thanks!

Marraige saved!

=?Utf-8?B?bWF0dA==?=

Just one thing, I enabled ip routing on laptop via run>regedit>iprouting (set
value to 1) is this ok or should i set it back to 0?

Socrates

Hi - see this link for more information

www.amw1.com/tips

"matt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> please help! i am at my wits end.
> I have a windows xp computer which is connected to a wireless belkin router
> via an ethernet cable, which in turn is connected to the intenet via a ntl
> cable broadband modem. my toshiba laptop is connected wirelessly to the
> belkin router and i can access the internet wirelessly on my laptop.
> what i want to do is connect my laptop to my pc, wirelessly via my belkin
> router, so that i can share files. i have tried to get them to connect, but i
> cannot figure it out.
> how do i do this? do i have to set my belkin router to allow connection?
> please help....
>
> divorce immenent!

Terminal Terminal is offline
Junior Member

Excellent advice this has helped me set up my belkin router
digitaldirect.co.uk