Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Two questions: Uninstalling software and about compiling...

Two questions: Uninstalling software and about compiling...

Lennier

How should one go about uninstalling binaries that were originally
downloaded in a gizumped tarball?

And,

when compiling Mozilla (or any other piece of software for that matter)
using GCC, how does one add a build ID?

Currently my build of Mozilla 1.6b has a build id of all zeros - I'd like
to customise it if I can.

Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
execution speed of the finished binaries?

Lennier

Enkidu

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:07:42 +1300, Lennier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>How should one go about uninstalling binaries that were originally
>downloaded in a gizumped tarball?

Erm, by hand. Do a tar ztvf <filename> to find out where they went.

>when compiling Mozilla (or any other piece of software for that matter)
>using GCC, how does one add a build ID?

Should be a macro somewhere in the source or headers that come with
Moz.

>Currently my build of Mozilla 1.6b has a build id of all zeros - I'd like
>to customise it if I can.
>
>Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
>included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
>execution speed of the finished binaries?

man gcc.

Um, off the top of my head the -o<number> option determines the
optimation of the code, I think. Most package create a Makefile when
you run ./configure, and looking at that should give you the options
that are being used. Optimisation doesn't always make the code go
faster BTW. Most packages don't include debugging code as such, but
the author may write the code to include stuff that is printed out if
you use a -v or --debug code. Some may include a switch macro to
include or exclude debugging code.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.

Malcolm

Enkidu wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:07:42 +1300, Lennier
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>How should one go about uninstalling binaries that were originally
>>downloaded in a gizumped tarball?
>>

> Erm, by hand. Do a tar ztvf <filename> to find out where they went.

<snip>

Hi
Have a look here, there is a section on what to remove and where
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.6b/

I can cheat on this sparc.... pkgrm

Cheers
Malcolm

Lennier

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:59:35 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:07:42 +1300, Lennier <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>How should one go about uninstalling binaries that were originally
>>downloaded in a gizumped tarball?
>>

> Erm, by hand. Do a tar ztvf <filename> to find out where they went.
>>
>>when compiling Mozilla (or any other piece of software for that matter)
>>using GCC, how does one add a build ID?
>>

> Should be a macro somewhere in the source or headers that come with Moz.
>>
>>Currently my build of Mozilla 1.6b has a build id of all zeros - I'd
>>like to customise it if I can.
>>
>>Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
>>included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
>>execution speed of the finished binaries?
>>

> man gcc.
>
> Um, off the top of my head the -o<number> option determines the optimation
> of the code, I think. Most package create a Makefile when you run
> ./configure, and looking at that should give you the options that are
> being used. Optimisation doesn't always make the code go faster BTW. Most
> packages don't include debugging code as such, but the author may write
> the code to include stuff that is printed out if you use a -v or --debug
> code. Some may include a switch macro to include or exclude debugging
> code.

Cool - thanks for the info - appreciated.

Happy New Year to you...

Lennier

Nick Thomas

Lennier wrote:
> when compiling Mozilla (or any other piece of software for that matter)
> using GCC, how does one add a build ID?
> Currently my build of Mozilla 1.6b has a build id of all zeros - I'd
> like to customise it if I can.

All zeros sounds a little odd for a build ID, which for Mozilla means
the string in the Help:About dialog box. If you mean 0.0.0.0 then that
is the file version and another problem. I build MozillaFirebird on
Win32 with Visual Studio but the situation is fairly similar for the
Suite and gcc.

For 0.0.0.0, the relevant file is mozilla/xpfe/bootstrap/module.ver but
that has only one line:

WIN32_MODULE_DESCRIPTION=Mozilla

Contrast that to mozilla/browser/app/module.ver for Firebird:

WIN32_MODULE_COMPANYNAME=Mozilla
WIN32_MODULE_COPYRIGHT=<A9>Firebird and Mozilla Developers, according to
the MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1 licenses, as applicable.
WIN32_MODULE_FILEVERSION=0,7,0,0
WIN32_MODULE_FILEVERSION_STRING=0.7+
WIN32_MODULE_TRADEMARKS=Blah
WIN32_MODULE_DESCRIPTION=Mozilla Firebird
WIN32_MODULE_PRODUCTNAME=Firebird
WIN32_MODULE_NAME=Firebird

That information shows up in the Version tab of the properties of the
executable. I don't know if gcc does this trick too.

BuildID information is scattered around the source tree, and my current
BuildID is:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.6b) Gecko/20031221
Firebird/0.7+

The date comes from mozilla/layout/gbdate.h, which is created by
gpdate.pl in the same directory, and contains the line:

#define PRODUCT_VERSION "20031221"

The file is created during the export part of the build in
mozilla/layout so you can delete it before building and it will recover
for you. Unfortunately it's not updated when you are doing a depend
build (just recompiling the bits that have changed and their
dependencies) so I delete it after each cvs checkout. Clean builds avoid
this problem.

The milestone information (1.6b) comes from
mozilla/config/milestone.txt, and the associated milestone.pl &
Moz/Milestone.pm, but I haven't played with them. Looks like you just
edit milestone.txt though.

You also might find this link

http://www.mozilla.org/build/distribution.html

useful if you are building from the 1.6b source tarball rather than the
trunk.

> Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
> included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
> execution speed of the finished binaries?

You probably want to have a look at some of the pages at

http://www.mozilla.org/build/

but the short answer is to modify your .mozconfig file to include:

ac_add_options --disable-debug

For optimization, there are various levels which optimize for size,
speed and CPU architecture but I've found that the more aggressive you
are the more likely that there will be bugs.

ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-02

is a nice boost without getting to carried away. Try looking in the
Builds forums at http://forums.mozillazine.org for what other people are
using.

Caveat: mozconfig gets used if you start the build process with "make -f
client.mk build". If you are manually configuring and making then it's
more compilcated.

Hope that lot helps.

Nick Thomas

Lennier

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:30:52 +1300, Nick Thomas wrote:

> Lennier wrote:
>> when compiling Mozilla (or any other piece of software for that matter)
>> using GCC, how does one add a build ID?
> > Currently my build of Mozilla 1.6b has a build id of all zeros - I'd
> > like to customise it if I can.

> All zeros sounds a little odd for a build ID, which for Mozilla means the
> string in the Help:About dialog box.

Isn't that the USER/version ID string rather than the Build ID?

The current build ID for my installation of Mozilla, after I myself
compiled it is: Mozilla {Build ID 0000000000}

It appears like that in the Window Title when one sets Mozilla to sart
with a blank window.

<snip>

> http://www.mozilla.org/build/distribution.html
>
> useful if you are building from the 1.6b source tarball rather than the
> trunk.

Yes- I downloaded the 1.6b tarball

>> Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
>> included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
>> execution speed of the finished binaries?

> You probably want to have a look at some of the pages at
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/build/

Thanks - did that...

<snip>

> For optimization, there are various levels which optimize for size, speed
> and CPU architecture but I've found that the more aggressive you are the
> more likely that there will be bugs.
>
> ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-02
>
> is a nice boost without getting to carried away. Try looking in the Builds
> forums at http://forums.mozillazine.org for what other people are using.

Cool- thanks alot.

Is it the higher the optimise number the more aggressive it is? Does 01
give more optimisation than 02?

Now, how does all this info translate when wanting to compile other
programmes?

I mean, probably before long there will be another release of PAN and I
would like to compile that one as well.

Lennier

-[Myth]-

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 17:45:48 +1300, Lennier wrote:

> On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 12:30:52 +1300, Nick Thomas wrote:
>
>> Lennier wrote:
>>> when compiling Mozilla (or any other piece of software for that matter)
>>> using GCC, how does one add a build ID?
>> > Currently my build of Mozilla 1.6b has a build id of all zeros - I'd
>> > like to customise it if I can.

>> All zeros sounds a little odd for a build ID, which for Mozilla means the
>> string in the Help:About dialog box.

> Isn't that the USER/version ID string rather than the Build ID?
>
> The current build ID for my installation of Mozilla, after I myself
> compiled it is: Mozilla {Build ID 0000000000}
>
> It appears like that in the Window Title when one sets Mozilla to sart
> with a blank window.
>

> <snip>
>
>> http://www.mozilla.org/build/distribution.html
>>
>> useful if you are building from the 1.6b source tarball rather than the
>> trunk.

> Yes- I downloaded the 1.6b tarball
>

>>> Also, how does one set GCC to compile without the debugging stuff
>>> included? How can one set the compiler to produce the absolutely fastest
>>> execution speed of the finished binaries?

>> You probably want to have a look at some of the pages at
>>
>> http://www.mozilla.org/build/

> Thanks - did that...
>

> <snip>
>
>> For optimization, there are various levels which optimize for size, speed
>> and CPU architecture but I've found that the more aggressive you are the
>> more likely that there will be bugs.
>>
>> ac_add_options --enable-optimize=-02
>>
>> is a nice boost without getting to carried away. Try looking in the Builds
>> forums at http://forums.mozillazine.org for what other people are using.

> Cool- thanks alot.
>
> Is it the higher the optimise number the more aggressive it is? Does 01
> give more optimisation than 02?
>
> Now, how does all this info translate when wanting to compile other
> programmes?
>
> I mean, probably before long there will be another release of PAN and I
> would like to compile that one as well.
>

> Lennier

AFAIK the build ID is just the date and time it was built, for example my
mozilla ID (it is an old build, cant be bothered updating and it works
fine) is 2003071814

Lennier

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:37:19 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

> AFAIK the build ID is just the date and time it was built, for example my
> mozilla ID (it is an old build, cant be bothered updating and it works
> fine) is 2003071814

Ah.

So why would my build not include the date/time?

Lennier

Nick Thomas

Lennier wrote:
> So why would my build not include the date/time?

Seems that build ID is used for identifying nightly and tinderbox
builds, and therefore isn't all that relevant to a milestone release.

Dunno why it's not working properly but you could tweak the contents of
mozilla/config/nsBuildID.h if you want. Looks like there are some
helpful comments in that file about setting environment variables to
avoid this too.

Nick

Lennier