Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > The human mind at work!

The human mind at work!

techie

Just passing along a fun URL I happened across:

The Museum of Unworkable Devices.
<http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm>

"This museum is a celebration of fascinating devices that don't work.
It houses diverse examples of the perverse genius of inventors who
refused to let their thinking be intimidated by the laws of nature,
remaining optimistic in the face of repeated failures. Watch and be
amazed as we bring to life eccentric and even intricate perpetual
motion machines that have remained steadfastly unmoving since their
inception. Marvel at the ingenuity of the human mind, as it reinvents
the square wheel in all of its possible variations. Exercise your mind
to puzzle out exactly why they don't work as the inventors intended."

I just wasted two hours on the patent-of-the-week site to which it
links:

http://www.patentoftheweek.com/

Examples:

http://www.patentoftheweek.com/1996-Now/index.html

US5926857 Armor With Rollers
US20020091564 Method and System for Enabling Viewer Polling and Election of Prospective Parents
US6293874 User-Operated Amusement Apparatus for Kicking the Users Buttocks
US6075756 Time Pop
US20020133103 Internet-Based Electrically Operated Sexual Aid System
US6406462 Lap Dance Liner
US6169924 Spinal Cord-Stimulation
WO9918897 Penis Extender
USD448471 Condom
US6168531 Soup Bowl Attraction
WO9212761 Device For Accelerating Growth
US3552388 Baby Patting Machine
US6125480 Vehicle Mounted Toilet Seat
US6368227 Method of Swinging on a Swing
US6205950 Pet Toilet-Like Water Disk and Food Storage
US4413832 Body Sled
US6241575 Brassiere Having Integrated Inflatable Bladders For the Holding of Comestible Liquids
US6327741 Controlled Self Operated Vacuum Cleaning System
US5926874 Automatic Bed Maker
US5687752 Dining Table Having Integral Dishwasher
US4428085 Self-Cleaning Building Construction
US5606748 Feminine Undergarment With Calendar
US5663932 Rescue Watch
USD407996 Mistletoe Belt Buckle
US5182857 Shaving Apparatus
WO9506228 Device and Procedure For Utilizing Solar Energy
US5743272 Male Nipple Abrasion Protector
US5273766 Tenderizing Meat
US5388723 Random Member Dispenser
US6089953 Fragrant Brassiere
US6313371 Flatulence Deodorizer
WO8806699 Container For at Least One Condom
US6135552 Rocking Chair Device
DE10019627 Phallic Object Worn on Users Chin Used For Erotic Practices
USD439027 Bubble Covered Brassiere
US5649549 Contraceptive Device For Oral Sex
USD276561 Navel Lint Removing Pick
US5595343 Snow Coloring Device
US6266829 Combination Beverage Container and Spittoon
US5078642 Toy Bar Soap Slide
US5593111 Safety System For Remove a Rider From a Vehicle by Deploying a Parachute
US4387927 Chair Made From a Garbage Can
US6099319 Neuroimaging as a Marketing Tool
US4247283 Musical Instrument Adapted to Emit a Controlled Flame
US5722571 Air Flow Guide For Garment Sleeve
US6049912 Mountable Printable Placard With Headband
USD398994 Human Gas Filter Pad For Wearing in the Underwear
US6101747 Athletic Shoe Having Basketball Hoop
US5996568 Process For Propelling Foodstuffs or the Like into a Crowd
US4171703 Multiple Bowl Arrangement For Water Pipe or Bong
US4158549 Marijuana Scented Incense and Method of Making Same
US6113940 Cannaboid Patch and Method For Cannibis Transdermal Delivery
GB2293957 Hallucinogenic Mixtures
US4356753 Musical Electro Magnetic Analog Synthesizer Controlled Rocket Engine
US6004596 Sealed Crustless Sandwich
US4866863 Empty Tomb
US5871518 Smoking Cessation Lighter and Method
US5971829 Motorized Ice Cream Cone
GB2060081 Animal Powered Drive Means
US6098252 Belt Buckle With Backlit Face Plates
US5500234 Crispy Chip Sandwich and Process of Producing a Sandwich Product
US5214803 Smoke Hood
US5035252 Nicotine Containing Dental Floss
WO0064638 Gum Job
WO9420050 Stimulatory Device
US6055910 Toy Gas Fired Missile and Launcher Assembly
US6132366 Sex Aid
US5809590 Thermochromic Urinal Mat
WO9925368 A Medicine For Treating Algomenorrhea and the Method of Preparation Thereof
CA2010302 Cosmic Cube
WO9932331 A Security System For a Vehicle
US6145506 Decorative Penile Wrap
WO9219458 Two New Punctuation Marks
US5107620 Electrified Table Cloth
US5758569 Poultry Frying Apparatus
US3201038 Data Registering Device
WO9629960 Female Functional Mannequin
WO9939598 Substance Dispensing Headgear
US3216423 Apparatus for Facilitating the Birth of a Child by Centrifugal Force
US6110102 Vision of Love
US5100138 Motorized Mobile Boxing Robot
US6017303 Underpants With a Stamina Reinforcing Mechanism Using Walking Force

Peter

techie wrote:
> The Museum of Unworkable Devices.
> <http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/unwork.htm>

great !
another good one over here ...
http://www.crank.net/

Peter

SomebodyElse

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:25:05 -0600, techie wrote:

> I just wasted two hours on the patent-of-the-week site to which it
> links:
>
> http://www.patentoftheweek.com/

Some very amusing things on that site.

I particularly liked the "Sanitary Appliance for Birds"
http://tinyurl.com/2s5gt
I can just imagine trying to get something like that onto my cockateil

and the "Dust Cover for Dogs
http://tinyurl.com/24x46
Can't let your dog get dusty now......

LOL