Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > remove help & support

remove help & support

-[Myth]-

Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start menu
(and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by accident
when selecting Run and its crap anyway.

Thanks in advance

Lebowski

"-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1g1kd5b6yajg1$.a054a3lyveq0$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start

menu
> (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by

accident
> when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
>
> Thanks in advance

This is a pretty easy one. Right-click on your "Start" menu, choose
"Properties" then "customise". Choose the "Advanced" tab, scroll down a
little bit, you will see a "Help and Support" check box. Uncheck it. Hit
"apply" and "ok". Done.

Warwick

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:07:50 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

> Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start menu
> (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by accident
> when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
>
> Thanks in advance

As an aside and just in case you were unaware ...

Since Run (and find) almost invariably have me typing something into the
dialog box after its invoked, I invoke them from the keyboard, I find it
faster.
Windows Key + R is run, Windows Key + f is find.

cheers
Warwick

-[Myth]-

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:28:46 +1300, Lebowski wrote:

> "-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1g1kd5b6yajg1$.a054a3lyveq0$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start

> menu
>> (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by

> accident
>> when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
>>
>> Thanks in advance

> This is a pretty easy one. Right-click on your "Start" menu, choose
> "Properties" then "customise". Choose the "Advanced" tab, scroll down a
> little bit, you will see a "Help and Support" check box. Uncheck it. Hit
> "apply" and "ok". Done.

Hmm, there is no advanced tab, maybe this is because I am using Classic
theme? BTW I am using XP Pro.

-[Myth]-

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:52:13 +1300, Warwick wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:07:50 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
>

>> Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start menu
>> (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by accident
>> when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
>>
>> Thanks in advance

> As an aside and just in case you were unaware ...
>
> Since Run (and find) almost invariably have me typing something into the
> dialog box after its invoked, I invoke them from the keyboard, I find it
> faster.
> Windows Key + R is run, Windows Key + f is find.
>

> cheers
> Warwick

Thanks for that tip, its a much quicker way of accessing run

Enkidu

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:09:58 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:28:46 +1300, Lebowski wrote:
>
>> "-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:1g1kd5b6yajg1$.a054a3lyveq0$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start

>> menu
>>> (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by

>> accident
>>> when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance

>> This is a pretty easy one. Right-click on your "Start" menu, choose
>> "Properties" then "customise". Choose the "Advanced" tab, scroll down a
>> little bit, you will see a "Help and Support" check box. Uncheck it. Hit
>> "apply" and "ok". Done.

>Hmm, there is no advanced tab, maybe this is because I am using Classic
>theme? BTW I am using XP Pro.

Themes should make no difference. I have XP Pro and the tab is there.
Are you logged in as an administrator?

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.

-[Myth]-

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:01:20 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:09:58 +1300, "-[Myth]-"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:28:46 +1300, Lebowski wrote:
>>
>>> "-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:1g1kd5b6yajg1$.a054a3lyveq0$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> menu
>>> accident

>>> This is a pretty easy one. Right-click on your "Start" menu, choose
>>> "Properties" then "customise". Choose the "Advanced" tab, scroll down a
>>> little bit, you will see a "Help and Support" check box. Uncheck it. Hit
>>> "apply" and "ok". Done.

>>Hmm, there is no advanced tab, maybe this is because I am using Classic
>>theme? BTW I am using XP Pro.
>>

> Themes should make no difference. I have XP Pro and the tab is there.
> Are you logged in as an administrator?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

What i mean is Im using the classic start menu also.
there is an advanced button but all it does is open up C:\Documents and
Settings\User\Start Menu

ac

In article <1g1kd5b6yajg1$.a054a3lyveq0$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ve says...
> Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start menu
> (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by accident
> when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
>
> Thanks in advance

Well it is one of those lovely Windows Policies.
You can hack away at the registry directly at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies
\Explorer

Make a new DWORD key: NoSMHelp
Value: 1

Or run (form the Run menu - doh): gpedit.msc

Look at: User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Start Menu and
Taskbar->Remove Help from Start Menu

In both cases you need to restart Windows (but Microsoft users are used
to that). Works even if you are running the Classic Start Menu. Of
course this is on a per user basis.

~misfit~

-[Myth]- wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:32:09 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:01:20 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

>>> Themes should make no difference. I have XP Pro and the tab is
>>> there. Are you logged in as an administrator?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Cliff

>> What i mean is Im using the classic start menu also.
>> there is an advanced button but all it does is open up C:\Documents
>> and Settings\User\Start Menu

> There is a screenshot attached to this post for those whose newsgroups
> support it. (sorry about the crap quality)

Just right-click the offending entry and click 'delete'. (On the start menu
itself)
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:
> Just right-click the offending entry and click 'delete'. (On the
> start menu itself)

Ok, that doesn't work.
--
~misfit~