Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > remove help & support

remove help & support

Ali P

"ac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <1g1kd5b6yajg1$.a054a3lyveq0$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)ve says...
> > Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start

menu
> > (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by

accident
> > when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> Well it is one of those lovely Windows Policies.
> You can hack away at the registry directly at
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies
> \Explorer
>
> Make a new DWORD key: NoSMHelp
> Value: 1
>
> Or run (form the Run menu - doh): gpedit.msc
>
> Look at: User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Start Menu and
> Taskbar->Remove Help from Start Menu
>
> In both cases you need to restart Windows (but Microsoft users are used
> to that). Works even if you are running the Classic Start Menu. Of
> course this is on a per user basis.

TweakUI also gets rid of it if you don't want to hack the registry.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp
AL

-[Myth]-

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:04:54 +1300, ac wrote:

> In article <1g1kd5b6yajg1$.a054a3lyveq0$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)ve says...
>> Is there any way to remove the Help and Support program from the start menu
>> (and preferably from the hdd altogether) as I often click on it by accident
>> when selecting Run and its crap anyway.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> Well it is one of those lovely Windows Policies.
> You can hack away at the registry directly at
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies
> \Explorer
>
> Make a new DWORD key: NoSMHelp
> Value: 1
>
> Or run (form the Run menu - doh): gpedit.msc
>
> Look at: User Configuration->Administrative Templates->Start Menu and
> Taskbar->Remove Help from Start Menu
>
> In both cases you need to restart Windows (but Microsoft users are used
> to that). Works even if you are running the Classic Start Menu. Of
> course this is on a per user basis.

That worked. Thank you very much.