Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Cleaned your computer lately!

Cleaned your computer lately!

PseUDO

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=127056&st=0

Whats that burning smell!

PseUDO

John

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:45:34 +1300, "PseUDO" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=127056&st=0
>
>Whats that burning smell!

The cat ****ed on it!

steve

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:45:34 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=127056&st=0
>
> Whats that burning smell!
>
> PseUDO

I no longer put PCs on the floor. Even if it is only 30cms off the floor
on a box, that's better than sitting right on the floor.

~misfit~

PseUDO wrote:
> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=127056&st=0
>
> Whats that burning smell!
>
> PseUDO

I picked up a PC from the Refuse Transfer Station that was worse than that.
It was a Celly 600, the HDD, RAM and CD-ROM had been removed but the case
was chokka with dust and the heatsink was even dirtier than the one in the
pic. The fan no longer turned and it had compressed the dust between the
fins so tightly that it looked like concrete, no space left at all. I
cleaned it up and it runs sweet now, even the fan, overclocked to 900MHz. I
usually use a paint-brush to clean heatsinks but I had to chisel the crap
out of that one with a screwdriver.

(I later discovered it had belonged to the local doctor, it kept crashing
(suprise, suprise) so he called in a company who told them they'd tested it
and it was 'worn out' and he'd need a new one. They gutted it and put it in
the rubbish outside his office. I bet they charged him an arm and a leg <g>)
--
~misfit~

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:33:39 +1300, steve wrote:

> I no longer put PCs on the floor. Even if it is only 30cms off the floor
> on a box, that's better than sitting right on the floor.

No matter how high you put it, DO NOT put it under a desk.

The act of moving your legs under the desk stirs up dust - carpet or no
carpet.

PCs under desks are invariably _filthy_ inside.

PCs used by smokers are worse. I've seen 3-4mm coatings of nicotine dust
inside such machines...

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:55:04 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> usually use a paint-brush to clean heatsinks but I had to chisel the crap
> out of that one with a screwdriver.

Vaccuum cleaner, crevice nozzle.

Works wonders.... (Don't use a bustbuster, they're not powerful enough)

~misfit~

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:55:04 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

>> usually use a paint-brush to clean heatsinks but I had to chisel the
>> crap out of that one with a screwdriver.

> Vaccuum cleaner, crevice nozzle.
>
> Works wonders.... (Don't use a bustbuster, they're not powerful
> enough)

Seriously, a vacuum cleaner wouldn't have touched that one. The fan had been
physically compressing the dust in there for a while, hence the reference to
concrete.
--
~misfit~

Brendan

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:45:34 +1300, PseUDO wrote:

> http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=127056&st=0
>
> Whats that burning smell!
>
> PseUDO

"Spybot S&D has blocked the download of TargetNet"..

E.g. everyone should check for some spyware on their machines esp. if you
viewed the above page.

Aside from that no problems

BTW: install spybot search and destroy, and remember to use it's immunize
and spy blocker facilities. The above spybot got past proximitron AND IE's
security zone.

--

.... Brendan

that the conspiracy is working.

Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not
otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

pete

"~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote in message
news:cX1Ib.43999$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
> > On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:55:04 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> >> usually use a paint-brush to clean heatsinks but I had to chisel the
> >> crap out of that one with a screwdriver.

> > Vaccuum cleaner, crevice nozzle.
> >
> > Works wonders.... (Don't use a bustbuster, they're not powerful
> > enough)

> Seriously, a vacuum cleaner wouldn't have touched that one. The fan had

been
> physically compressing the dust in there for a while, hence the reference

> concrete.
> --
> ~misfit~

wait till you've serviced PCs that have been used in a freight warehouse -
the crap that forms from diesel smoke, rubber tyre dust (forklifts) etc will
see your nicotine and raise it about 100. Frighteneing thing is the people
who work there breathe this **** too, all day and every day.
Or, the best of the lot that I saw was in a detergent chemical bulk store on
the Wellington wharves. The fault logged was that the diskette drive didn't
work - took the cover off (Compaq Deskpro SFF) and the motherboard was
completely covered in dust up to the level of the CPU fan (P4).

PseUDO

"Brendan" <corum.usenet@myrealbox....com> wrote in message
news:h05r2w01g7cg.1f1bj300afgqk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:45:34 +1300, PseUDO wrote:
>
> > http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.ph...ic=127056&st=0
> >
> > Whats that burning smell!
> >
> > PseUDO

> "Spybot S&D has blocked the download of TargetNet"..
>
> E.g. everyone should check for some spyware on their machines esp. if you
> viewed the above page.
>
> Aside from that no problems
>
> BTW: install spybot search and destroy, and remember to use it's immunize
> and spy blocker facilities. The above spybot got past proximitron AND IE's
> security zone.
>

> --
>
> ... Brendan

I go to Neowin everyday ,along with millions of others, never had
"TargetNet", installed, just ran spybot and it shows nothing, sure it's not
a false positive??

PseUDO