Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > DVD ripping software?

DVD ripping software?

cowboyz

steve wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:14:42 +1300, Bruce Simpson wrote:
>

>> And, surprisingly enough -- if you use TMPGenc at a suitably high
>> bitrate, you get very close to DVD-quality results. Try to keep the
>> bitrate to > 2100 with 2-pass VBR and it's damned good -- usually
>> requiring just 2 CDRs per full-length feature movie.

> My experience has been that SVCDs over 2100 will result in video
> corruption on cheapo DVD players. They just don't have enough buffer
> to cope with the throughput if you get a lot of action scenes.
>
> By keeping the data rate at about 1950 or below, I avoid the
> corruption problem.
>
> I have seen this on a Mustek DVD player - the $229 one sold at DSE a
> year ago.
>
> Try your luck....the newer ones will either be:
>
> better (newer!) or worse (cheaper!).

encoding at 2200 avg 2500max 1200 min plays good as gold on the transonic
and they dont get any cheaper than those me thinks?

SharkSYA

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bsnn84$eepm0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
> thread...
>
> I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

Super DVD Ripper. Trial download

http://www.dvdtodivx.net/download.htm

--
SharkSYA

~misfit~

GraB wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:58:45 +1300, "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Ok, it's time for another whats your favourite DVD ripping software
>> thread...
>>
>> I want to know, because, well, I think it's pretty obvious.

> DVD Decrypter, Dr Divx. 8-12 hrs on Duron 1100, depending on movie.
> Can fit onto one CD usually (sometimes it has to be a 790 or 870Mb)
> and quality is near DVD.

That's the combo I've used too. I find it works best at no more than about 1
hour of video per 700MB CDR. Just gotta get me a DVD-ROM now so I don't have
to hook up to a friend's machine through the network.
--
~misfit~

T.N.O.

cowboyz wrote:
>>It seems to use 50% CPU for a few seconds, then nothing...
>>OS is XP on a dual Athlon 1800+ with 512MB ram... the rest doesnt
>>really matter.

> This is for converting to SVCD? I am not sure what fps I would pull off
> converting to SVCD. I use tmpgenc + for converting now and it is damn slow
> but damn good results. Damn slow means 10-12 hours for 100mins video on
> XP2100+

One hour 40 mins took 5 hrs 26 mins to convert to SVCD and it looks just
as good as the DVD does...

Very very pretty... I don't seem to be able to convert to Divx, so I
might have to fiddle with some settings.

T.N.O.

steve wrote:
> My experience has been that SVCDs over 2100 will result in video
> corruption on cheapo DVD players. They just don't have enough buffer to
> cope with the throughput if you get a lot of action scenes.
> Try your luck....the newer ones will either be:
> better (newer!) or worse (cheaper!).

I'll try it tomorrow... I got a Transonic 5.1 for Xmas, hence why I have
a DVD(Terminator 3)

T.N.O.

~misfit~ wrote:
>>DVD Decrypter, Dr Divx. 8-12 hrs on Duron 1100, depending on movie.
>>Can fit onto one CD usually (sometimes it has to be a 790 or 870Mb)
>>and quality is near DVD.

> That's the combo I've used too. I find it works best at no more than about 1
> hour of video per 700MB CDR. Just gotta get me a DVD-ROM now so I don't have
> to hook up to a friend's machine through the network.

DVD De-Crypter is working now... Dr Divx is being downloaded as I type.

Craig Shore

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The other advantage is that you can crop 16:9 widescreen movies to a
>more acceptable 1:85:1 so that they aren't grossly letter-boxed as is
>the case when playing the original DVD. Most of the time I tend to
>zoom such DVDs at 1.5 times -- but that's sometimes a little too much
>so using AVIsynth to zoom in to about 1.3x is brilliant.

So you're losing a heap of the picture off the sides then?

T.N.O.

T.N.O. wrote:
> DVD De-Crypter is working now... Dr Divx is being downloaded as I type.

I have ended up using a guide from doom9.org about divx/xvid encoding,
and it is very handy.
Currently making an Xvid at ~90fps

cowboyz

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> T.N.O. wrote:
> > DVD De-Crypter is working now... Dr Divx is being downloaded as I type.

> I have ended up using a guide from doom9.org about divx/xvid encoding,
> and it is very handy.
> Currently making an Xvid at ~90fps

I found Xvid to be very fast also. but the speed thrill soon wears off when
the compatibility thing hits ya. I can encode DIVX at 35fps which doesn't
take long at all and file sizes are smaller than SVCD and all is good BUT
the DVD players can't play them so I choose to spend the extra time on SVCD
encoding. If I knock the setttings off I can encode SVCD in about 2 hours
(for 90 mins video) but the quality is what I'm after.

Bruce Simpson

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:21:46 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Craig
Shore) wrote:

>On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:14:42 +1300, Bruce Simpson
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The other advantage is that you can crop 16:9 widescreen movies to a
>>more acceptable 1:85:1 so that they aren't grossly letter-boxed as is
>>the case when playing the original DVD. Most of the time I tend to
>>zoom such DVDs at 1.5 times -- but that's sometimes a little too much
>>so using AVIsynth to zoom in to about 1.3x is brilliant.

>So you're losing a heap of the picture off the sides then?

Not a heap, just 90 pixels on each side when converting 16:9 to
1.85:1. I can't say that any of the conversions I've done have
resulted in important parts of the picture being lost.

The alternative is to view at 16:9 letterboxed and waste 50% of hour
TV's screen area

Is ripping unencrypted scratched DVD more reliable than 1:1 copying of that same DVD? Kathi DVD Video 0 07-17-2006 06:46 AM
dvd ripping serge Computer Support 2 09-05-2004 05:06 PM
Ripping DVD to format one can edit?? fitwell Computer Support 2 08-04-2004 02:48 PM
Ripping DVD to format one can edit?? fitwell Computer Support 1 08-04-2004 02:30 PM
dvd ripping Hugh Sutherland Computer Support 1 01-26-2004 01:13 AM

Advertisments