Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Socket 370, broken CPU clip retaining tab.

Socket 370, broken CPU clip retaining tab.

~misfit~

I was recently given a Socket 370 board, never been used as the retaining
tab that holds the CPU HSF clip on is broken off. The board works fine, it
was still in the original box with manual, driver CD, cables etc. I
currently have it lying flat with the HSF held on by gravity and the
viscosity of the thermal compound. Not the ideal situation as when the fan
starts up it moves the HS a little. Also, I'd like to use it in a tower
case.

I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip that uses
the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't locate one.

Does anyone know where I can get such a clip? Any help gratefully received.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Steve Robertson wrote:
>> I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip that
>> uses the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't locate
>> one.
>>

> Ive never seem one for a socket 370 or above.
> You can glue the heatsink onto the CPU as a last resort

Thanks. I've done the glue thing before and regretted it later, not in a
hurry to do it again.
--
~misfit~

Steve Robertson

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:11:48 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
wrote:

>I was recently given a Socket 370 board, never been used as the retaining
>tab that holds the CPU HSF clip on is broken off. The board works fine, it
>was still in the original box with manual, driver CD, cables etc. I
>currently have it lying flat with the HSF held on by gravity and the
>viscosity of the thermal compound. Not the ideal situation as when the fan
>starts up it moves the HS a little. Also, I'd like to use it in a tower
>case.
>
>I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip that uses
>the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't locate one.
>
>Does anyone know where I can get such a clip? Any help gratefully received.
>
>Cheers,

You could try something like a glacialtech igloo.. I've seen it done
on Socket370 boards and it does work, but will sit a little funny.

There are plenty of HSF's with the offset mount points, you should
find one fairly easily, I've had to do it with a Socket A, but that is
a whole lot easier..

J.

Richard Malcolm-Smith

~misfit~ wrote:

> I was recently given a Socket 370 board, never been used as the retaining
> tab that holds the CPU HSF clip on is broken off. The board works fine, it
> was still in the original box with manual, driver CD, cables etc. I
> currently have it lying flat with the HSF held on by gravity and the
> viscosity of the thermal compound. Not the ideal situation as when the fan
> starts up it moves the HS a little. Also, I'd like to use it in a tower
> case.
>
> I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip that uses
> the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't locate one.
>
> Does anyone know where I can get such a clip? Any help gratefully received.

Look at socket A heatsinks, they mainly have 3 holes at each end, and will fit
onto socket 370 as well.

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:54:33 +1300, J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:11:48 +1300, "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his_desk.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I was recently given a Socket 370 board, never been used as the retaining
>>tab that holds the CPU HSF clip on is broken off. The board works fine, it
>>was still in the original box with manual, driver CD, cables etc. I
>>currently have it lying flat with the HSF held on by gravity and the
>>viscosity of the thermal compound. Not the ideal situation as when the fan
>>starts up it moves the HS a little. Also, I'd like to use it in a tower
>>case.
>>
>>I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip that uses
>>the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't locate one.
>>
>>Does anyone know where I can get such a clip? Any help gratefully received.
>>
>>Cheers,

>You could try something like a glacialtech igloo.. I've seen it done
>on Socket370 boards and it does work, but will sit a little funny.
>
>There are plenty of HSF's with the offset mount points, you should
>find one fairly easily, I've had to do it with a Socket A, but that is
>a whole lot easier..
>
> J.

Oh yeah, if you don't have access to a distributor, Ascent do them I
believe and no doubt some others.

~misfit~

Richard Malcolm-Smith wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> I was recently given a Socket 370 board, never been used as the
>> retaining tab that holds the CPU HSF clip on is broken off. The
>> board works fine, it was still in the original box with manual,
>> driver CD, cables etc. I currently have it lying flat with the HSF
>> held on by gravity and the viscosity of the thermal compound. Not
>> the ideal situation as when the fan starts up it moves the HS a
>> little. Also, I'd like to use it in a tower case.
>>
>> I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip that
>> uses the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't locate
>> one.
>>
>> Does anyone know where I can get such a clip? Any help gratefully
>> received.

> Look at socket A heatsinks, they mainly have 3 holes at each end, and
> will fit onto socket 370 as well.

Ok, thanks. I didn't really want to fork out for a HSF, just the clip but I
see some cheap Socket A HSFs around so that could be the answer.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

J wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 13:54:33 +1300, J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:11:48 +1300, "~misfit~"
>> <~misfit~@his_desk.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I was recently given a Socket 370 board, never been used as the
>>> retaining tab that holds the CPU HSF clip on is broken off. The
>>> board works fine, it was still in the original box with manual,
>>> driver CD, cables etc. I currently have it lying flat with the HSF
>>> held on by gravity and the viscosity of the thermal compound. Not
>>> the ideal situation as when the fan starts up it moves the HS a
>>> little. Also, I'd like to use it in a tower case.
>>>
>>> I remember hearing once that it might be possible to get a clip
>>> that uses the other, off-set tab but for the life of me I can't
>>> locate one.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know where I can get such a clip? Any help gratefully
>>> received.
>>>
>>> Cheers,

>> You could try something like a glacialtech igloo.. I've seen it done
>> on Socket370 boards and it does work, but will sit a little funny.
>>
>> There are plenty of HSF's with the offset mount points, you should
>> find one fairly easily, I've had to do it with a Socket A, but that
>> is a whole lot easier..
>>
>> J.

> Oh yeah, if you don't have access to a distributor, Ascent do them I
> believe and no doubt some others.

Thanks, I really just wanted a clip (financially challenged) but I'll have a
look around at Socket A coolers. I've seen a few Socket A coolers cheap.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Cheers,