Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > QuickTime is ****ing me off

QuickTime is ****ing me off

Gib Bogle

For about the third time, I have installed QT 6.3. I recently installed
all the patches for W2000 Pro, and I thought that might help. No.
During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get this pop-up
message:
"QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions of
QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"

This is irritating, but worse is the sound quality I get with a .mov
file. There are frequent hiccups which make listening unpleasant. This
is on a P4 1.8. This isn't enough horesepower for QT?

Gib

alan

"Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bskmek$f9e$(E-Mail Removed)...
| For about the third time, I have installed QT 6.3. I recently
installed
| all the patches for W2000 Pro, and I thought that might help.
No.
| During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get
this pop-up
| message:
| "QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions
of
| QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"

Gib,

QT is now at V6.4 - could be the latest release will solve your
problem?

Alan

PseUDO

"alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bskq9o$jok$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bskmek$f9e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | For about the third time, I have installed QT 6.3. I recently
> installed
> | all the patches for W2000 Pro, and I thought that might help.
> No.
> | During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get
> this pop-up
> | message:
> | "QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions
> of
> | QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"
> |
> Gib,
>
> QT is now at V6.4 - could be the latest release will solve your
> problem?
>
> Alan

Your a couple of weeks behind, it's now at version 6.5 !

PseUDO

Gib Bogle

alan wrote:

> "Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bskmek$f9e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | For about the third time, I have installed QT 6.3. I recently
> installed
> | all the patches for W2000 Pro, and I thought that might help.
> No.
> | During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get
> this pop-up
> | message:
> | "QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions
> of
> | QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"
> |
> Gib,
>
> QT is now at V6.4 - could be the latest release will solve your
> problem?

I just installed the latest release, which is 6.5. The pop-up error
messages are still there, and I still get hiccups.

Gib

Paul Gunson

Gib Bogle wrote:
> I just installed the latest release, which is 6.5. The pop-up error
> messages are still there, and I still get hiccups.

when you say you've installed 3 times - did u uninstall earlier
version(s) beforehand...? i would uninstall completely, hunt down any QT
files, ethnically clense them, open the registry and kill any QT entries
(although b careful on that one there could be application specific
entries for QT outside of the program itself) then install 6.5 fresh....
good luck

Lebowski

"Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bskr7g$iag$(E-Mail Removed)...
> alan wrote:
>
> > "Gib Bogle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bskmek$f9e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > | For about the third time, I have installed QT 6.3. I recently
> > installed
> > | all the patches for W2000 Pro, and I thought that might help.
> > No.
> > | During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get
> > this pop-up
> > | message:
> > | "QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions
> > of
> > | QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"
> > |
> > Gib,
> >
> > QT is now at V6.4 - could be the latest release will solve your
> > problem?

> I just installed the latest release, which is 6.5. The pop-up error
> messages are still there, and I still get hiccups.
>
> Gib

Quick Time sucks. Simple solution - boycott mov files !!

Bruce Hoult

In article <3fee1171$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Quick Time sucks. Simple solution - boycott mov files !!

It couldn't possibly be anything to do with Microsoft trying to break
it, could it?

-- Bruce

Henry Falkner

> During the installation, and every time QT is invoked, I get this pop-up
> message:
> "QuickTime Streaming Extras failed to load because the versions of
> QuickTime Streaming and QuickTime Streaming Extras do not match"

The error message tells you it is a Quicktime problem. Uninstall all
versions of Quicktime, using 'Add/remove programs' if the Quictime
uninstaller is missing. Do a search for stuff left behind, directories,
files and registry entries, then re-install.

Quictime versions 4 and 5 accepted the same registration code, so there
could be issues of conflict right there. Versions 4, 5 and 6 look and work
VERY similar also, again, an opportunity for conflicts in the small details.

Henry

samg

"Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3fee1171$1
@news.orcon.net.nz:

eh quicktime rules, and it sounds liked hes muffed his install somewhere
along the way. Most likely installed a new version over a previous install

Lebowski

"samg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Lebowski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3fee1171$1
> @news.orcon.net.nz:
>

> eh quicktime rules, and it sounds liked hes muffed his install somewhere
> along the way. Most likely installed a new version over a previous

install

Quick Time is a cumbersome program with it's clunky interface and you can't
even make movies run full screen. Even the humble Winamp kicks its ass in
terms of what it can do.

And no, I'm not a fan of Windows Media Player either, not sucking BG's dick
or anything, each media-playing program should be judged on its own merits
after all, regardless of platform.