Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can't Decide!

Can't Decide!

chris

Joy wrote:

> I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old
> pc. It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly
> portable and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images
> during field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
> Is there a compromise?
> No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of
> date within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded
> by
> wires snaking to new devices.
> I've got 3000 to spend.
> Joy

Why not give some thought to a Shuttle XPC.

http://www.shuttlegroup.com/

Chris.

E. Scrooge

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
> news:bskucb$k58$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty

old
> > pc.
> > > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

> > portable
> > > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images

during
> > > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
> > > Is there a compromise?
> > > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

> > date
> > > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded

by
> > > wires snaking to new devices.
> > > I've got 3000 to spend.
> > > Joy

> > It will hardly be out of date with the right options - None can be

claimed
> > as being the fastest. A well optioned PC with a good amount of RAM

should
> > last be useful for a few years at least. Of course a new budget PC

(which
> > is well below what you'll get) is a lot more limited in some things,

> though
> > not as bad as the budget PCs used to be.
> > For 3 grand if you want some real power you're best with a desktop - a 3
> > grand laptop isn't going to offer the same. Also it all depends what

you
> > have now and how big a step up in power you need. A 2 to 3 grand laptop

> is
> > pretty close to a budget PC desktop of about a grand these days. With

the
> > laptop you won't have to worry about the biggest and latest being out of
> > date - not for a budget one in your price range. Could still be useable
> > enough for your needs - your needs for the next few years should be
> > considered over anything else.

> Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciated. Changing pc's is not like
> buying a new pair of shoes cause I'll have to wear it for years.
> Joy

For years of hopefully reliable use, the plug in desktop is probably still
hard to beat especially for the extra power it'll have and any minor
upgrades. The advantage over a laptop is that if the monitor stuffs up,
it's almost no big deal, just replace the monitor (outside the warranty).
With a stuffed monitor on a laptop - well it makes the whole thing pretty
useless especially if that's the main computer with your stuff on it.
You could always pick up a cheap budget laptop later if you'll get enough
use out of it out and about as well. I wouldn't mind a cheap laptop to have
as well, while the desktop would still be the main computer.

Whatever you choose you won't be disappointed, XP is reliable and easy to
get used to. At least 512MB RAM and a good video card should be in your new
PC for your needs. You'll get that easy enough for 3 grand or even a bit
less. It comes down to your choice, don't let anyone talk you into
anything, it's a bigger market than ever.

E. Scrooge

DUser

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:46:55 +1300, Joy wrote:

> "DUser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, Joy wrote:
>>
>> > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

> pc.
>> > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

> portable
>> > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
>> > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
>> > Is there a compromise?
>> > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

> date
>> > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
>> > wires snaking to new devices.
>> > I've got 3000 to spend.
>> > Joy

>> Buy the best Dell laptop, preferably a latitude rather than an inspiron
>> Plug in a big monitor when you need one.
>> Transporting a desktop is a big pain in the arse.
>> Most of the stuff you will want to connect will either network or connect
>> with USB2

> Well, I've never been a fan of Dell, maybe I should have another look.
> Joy

Buy a Thinkpad then
Plenty of well built laptops fit within your price window.
Build quality is critical.
Guarantee is more important with laptops as they are much more proprietary
construction and a single fault or breakage can incapacitate the whole
thing, so go for a high volume first tier manufacturer like Toshiba IBM
Compaq or Dell.
I have a succession of Dell laptops, I build my desktops from bits,
because they are modular and I can optimize them.
I have a couple of lightweight desktops, a shuttle and a Via Epia mini-ITX
and they are no substitute for a laptop.

ac

> I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old pc.
> It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly portable
> and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
> field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
> Is there a compromise?
> No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of date
> within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
> wires snaking to new devices.
> I've got 3000 to spend.
> Joy

Look just send me the money and you'll have nothing to decide.

I'd buy a cheap secondhand laptop and a mid-range new PC.

Gurble

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:37:00 +1300, "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

>pc.
>> >It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

>portable
>> >and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
>> >field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
>> >Is there a compromise?
>> >No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

>date
>> >within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
>> >wires snaking to new devices.
>> >I've got 3000 to spend.
>> >Joy
>> >

>> For CAD work, you'd be silly to get a laptop. Heaps more grunt from a
>> PC, plus save a few dollars.
>>
>> How about something like this:
>>
>> http://www.prosouth.co.nz/hardware/p...amingcase.html

>You've given me something to think about. If I had a box like that built
>for round about a grand, I've already got a spare license for xp and a spare
>monitor, I might still have enough left over for a second-hand laptop for
>those field trips.
>What would you suggest for a motherboard and processor?
>Joy

If I was you, I'd fire off an email to them and ask them to price up a
system based on that case for around a grand (you should get something
reasonable for ~$1000 with no monitor or Windows).

They're usually quick at replying, although looking at their site it
appears that they're closed for the break.

Without wanting to start a religious debate about processors etc, I'd
think you'd get around a 2500+ Barton AthlonXP on a reasonable MoBo
(Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, in that order IMHO). You don't want onboard
graphics, and you probably want 512MB RAM at least for CAD work,
although you can always add more RAM later - possibly better to focus
on CPU and Mobo now. (you can add RAM later, whereas you've got to
replace other items).

It basically comes down to price/performance.

Maybe something like their SOHO workstation with no monitor or
Windows, with the handled case, and a slightly slower processor might
be around a grand.

http://www.prosouth.co.nz/hardware/systems/

Service-wise, can't recommend these guys enough - have been using them
for well over a year with no problems whatsoever.

2c

Mike Dee

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Joy wrote:

> "E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
> news:bskucb$k58$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

>> pc.

>> > Is there a compromise?

>> > and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
>> > wires snaking to new devices.

>> For 3 grand if you want some real power you're best with a desktop - a 3
>> grand laptop isn't going to offer the same. Also it all depends what you
>> have now and how big a step up in power you need. A 2 to 3 grand laptop

> is
>> pretty close to a budget PC desktop of about a grand these days. With the
>> laptop you won't have to worry about the biggest and latest being out of
>> date - not for a budget one in your price range. Could still be useable
>> enough for your needs - your needs for the next few years should be
>> considered over anything else.

> Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciated. Changing pc's is not like
> buying a new pair of shoes cause I'll have to wear it for years.
> Joy

It sounds to me you really would like both desktop and laptop. But the
budget is the critical factor. Perhaps a newish 2nd hand Desktop in the
$700 - $800 range, and a new laptop in the $2200 - $2300 may be a
compromise?

Major pc manufacturers seem to be offering good deals on portable and
desktop computers right now, so it'll pay to shop around.

As for being surrounded by wires, perhaps wireless networking to external
devices could be another consideration... adds to cost though.

Good luck in your quest.

madknoxie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old pc.
> It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly portable
> and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
> field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
> Is there a compromise?
> No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of date
> within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
> wires snaking to new devices.
> I've got 3000 to spend.

Faced with the same dilema, my father decided to go for one of those
'all-in-one' pcs. Its pretty much a PC, but everything is in one slim
unit so its easy to pick up and take to another office, etc. I can't
remember what brand they were, but I know Ascent was selling them:
http://www.ascent.co.nz/
I can't seem to find them on their site at the moment though.

--
madknoxie
Yes; we'll have true broadband here when everyone else has moved to