Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can't Decide!

Can't Decide!

Joy

I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old pc.
It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly portable
and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
Is there a compromise?
No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of date
within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
wires snaking to new devices.
I've got 3000 to spend.
Joy

Gurble

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old pc.
>It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly portable
>and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
>field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
>Is there a compromise?
>No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of date
>within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
>wires snaking to new devices.
>I've got 3000 to spend.
>Joy

For CAD work, you'd be silly to get a laptop. Heaps more grunt from a
PC, plus save a few dollars.

How about something like this:

http://www.prosouth.co.nz/hardware/p...amingcase.html

E. Scrooge

"Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

pc.
> It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

portable
> and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
> field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
> Is there a compromise?
> No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

date
> within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
> wires snaking to new devices.
> I've got 3000 to spend.
> Joy

It will hardly be out of date with the right options - None can be claimed
as being the fastest. A well optioned PC with a good amount of RAM should
last be useful for a few years at least. Of course a new budget PC (which
is well below what you'll get) is a lot more limited in some things, though
not as bad as the budget PCs used to be.
For 3 grand if you want some real power you're best with a desktop - a 3
grand laptop isn't going to offer the same. Also it all depends what you
have now and how big a step up in power you need. A 2 to 3 grand laptop is
pretty close to a budget PC desktop of about a grand these days. With the
laptop you won't have to worry about the biggest and latest being out of
date - not for a budget one in your price range. Could still be useable
enough for your needs - your needs for the next few years should be
considered over anything else.

E. Scrooge

Gavin Tunney

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old pc.
>It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly portable
>and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
>field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
>Is there a compromise?
>No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of date
>within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
>wires snaking to new devices.
>I've got 3000 to spend.
>Joy

Best advice is to shop around Joy. Dell have been putting the squeeze
on the other laptop suppliers of late and they've reacted by
frequently putting out special deals on certain models to keep their
prices competitive. My own pick at present is IBM or Toshiba, they
seem to be the most aggressive with price at present & you can find
very reasonably priced ones if you're not in a hurry. Recently picked
up a very nice new IBM Thinkpad P4 2.4ghz for someone for under
$2000... had a 3year warranty & all. Warranty is a big deal with
laptops, get 3yrs if you can.

If your scanner is USB then it will work with any new laptop. You
should be able to do 3D Cad on most modern laptops, although it would
pay to check the hardware specs for the software.

I don't see the need for you to spend $3k unless you want a slimline
model or other bells & whistles. The entry-level range of laptops are
fine for most people IMO.

Cheers

Gavin

DUser

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, Joy wrote:

> I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old pc.
> It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly portable
> and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
> field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
> Is there a compromise?
> No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of date
> within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
> wires snaking to new devices.
> I've got 3000 to spend.
> Joy

Buy the best Dell laptop, preferably a latitude rather than an inspiron
Plug in a big monitor when you need one.
Transporting a desktop is a big pain in the arse.
Most of the stuff you will want to connect will either network or connect
with USB2

Robert

And it is worthwile going to a 3 year warranty on a laptop

"DUser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, Joy wrote:
>
> > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

pc.
> > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

portable
> > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
> > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
> > Is there a compromise?
> > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

date
> > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
> > wires snaking to new devices.
> > I've got 3000 to spend.
> > Joy

> Buy the best Dell laptop, preferably a latitude rather than an inspiron
> Plug in a big monitor when you need one.
> Transporting a desktop is a big pain in the arse.
> Most of the stuff you will want to connect will either network or connect
> with USB2

Robert

The 3 year warranty upgrade is worthwile.
Check the rotational speed of the hard disk. Lots of laptops still ship the
4200RPM drives as standard.
Also be aware that lots of the new laptops don't have the old 25 pin
parallel ports any more. Just extra USB ports.

"DUser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, Joy wrote:
>
> > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

pc.
> > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

portable
> > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
> > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
> > Is there a compromise?
> > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

date
> > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
> > wires snaking to new devices.
> > I've got 3000 to spend.
> > Joy

> Buy the best Dell laptop, preferably a latitude rather than an inspiron
> Plug in a big monitor when you need one.
> Transporting a desktop is a big pain in the arse.
> Most of the stuff you will want to connect will either network or connect
> with USB2

Joy

"Gurble" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

pc.
> >It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

portable
> >and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
> >field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
> >Is there a compromise?
> >No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

date
> >within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
> >wires snaking to new devices.
> >I've got 3000 to spend.
> >Joy
> >

> For CAD work, you'd be silly to get a laptop. Heaps more grunt from a
> PC, plus save a few dollars.
>
> How about something like this:
>
> http://www.prosouth.co.nz/hardware/p...amingcase.html

You've given me something to think about. If I had a box like that built
for round about a grand, I've already got a spare license for xp and a spare
monitor, I might still have enough left over for a second-hand laptop for
those field trips.
What would you suggest for a motherboard and processor?
Joy

Joy

"E. Scrooge" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove eye)> wrote in message
news:bskucb$k58$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Joy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

> pc.
> > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

> portable
> > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
> > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
> > Is there a compromise?
> > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

> date
> > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
> > wires snaking to new devices.
> > I've got 3000 to spend.
> > Joy

> It will hardly be out of date with the right options - None can be claimed
> as being the fastest. A well optioned PC with a good amount of RAM should
> last be useful for a few years at least. Of course a new budget PC (which
> is well below what you'll get) is a lot more limited in some things,

though
> not as bad as the budget PCs used to be.
> For 3 grand if you want some real power you're best with a desktop - a 3
> grand laptop isn't going to offer the same. Also it all depends what you
> have now and how big a step up in power you need. A 2 to 3 grand laptop

is
> pretty close to a budget PC desktop of about a grand these days. With the
> laptop you won't have to worry about the biggest and latest being out of
> date - not for a budget one in your price range. Could still be useable
> enough for your needs - your needs for the next few years should be
> considered over anything else.

Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciated. Changing pc's is not like
buying a new pair of shoes cause I'll have to wear it for years.
Joy

Joy

"DUser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 08:13:19 +1300, Joy wrote:
>
> > I need a new system but can't decide between a laptop or the trusty old

pc.
> > It seems I can halve the cost by buying another pc but it's hardly

portable
> > and very occasionally, I need to transport it for scanning images during
> > field trips. It also needs to be able to do 3D cad.
> > Is there a compromise?
> > No matter how long I wait, whatever system is purchased will be out of

date
> > within weeks and I've got this nightmarish vision of being surrounded by
> > wires snaking to new devices.
> > I've got 3000 to spend.
> > Joy

> Buy the best Dell laptop, preferably a latitude rather than an inspiron
> Plug in a big monitor when you need one.
> Transporting a desktop is a big pain in the arse.
> Most of the stuff you will want to connect will either network or connect
> with USB2

Well, I've never been a fan of Dell, maybe I should have another look.
Joy