Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 122MB driver update on windowsupdate

122MB driver update on windowsupdate

joe_90

T.N.O. wrote:
> I thought I'd do a check this morning for updates, and there is only one
> there, a driver update.
>
> NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.
> Download size: 122 MB, 1 hour 1 minute

Windows update is showing this driver as 12.2 MB, 53 minutes for me at
the moment.

My suggestion is you give it a miss. I took this update a couple of
weeks ago and it caused a slight problem (XP reverting to 800x600 on
boot). I uninstalled it and got the latest from the manufacturers site
(LeadTek in this case).

T.N.O.

> I suggest you go online and then got to device manager, properties for your
> video card and select ˙pdate driver'. It should go online and look for the
> latest driver, download it and install it. Did it myself the other night
> and it worked great. Be patient as it says it's "looking" for the driver
> albeit it is downloading all 12 megs of it.

She's right, I went to the Nvidia site and grabbed it this morning... I
have no intention of grabbing one from MS.

Dumdedo

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 20:46:57 +1300, joe_90
<joe_90_remove@nospam_zipmail.co.nz> wrote:

>T.N.O. wrote:
>> I thought I'd do a check this morning for updates, and there is only one
>> there, a driver update.
>>
>> NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.
>> Download size: 122 MB, 1 hour 1 minute

>Windows update is showing this driver as 12.2 MB, 53 minutes for me at
>the moment.
>
>My suggestion is you give it a miss. I took this update a couple of
>weeks ago and it caused a slight problem (XP reverting to 800x600 on
>boot). I uninstalled it and got the latest from the manufacturers site
>(LeadTek in this case).

When you some times update the Nvidia drivers it will revert to the Basic
800x600 screen mode, this is Very Normal

The English version of the Drivers is some 8.5 megs..

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
> T.N.O. wrote:
>
>>I thought I'd do a check this morning for updates, and there is only
>>one there, a driver update.
>>
>>NVIDIA display software update released on October 06 2003.
>>Download size: 122 MB, 1 hour 1 minute

> The MS Windows Update site has been ****ed for some time: The decimal point
> no longer displays on ANY of their downloads. It's 12.2mb.

Theres also the 8.5MB local US version, without foreign language support
(extra languages bloats the driver by 3.7MB in the international version
incredibly!). Its version 5303...

Linux dudes check out the latest linux version too (532. Just got
it on my system 2 days ago, and it gives my FX5600 a hefty performance
increase...1600x1200 UT2K3 here I come!

<flame>
I've just noticed my linux driver (532 is newer than the most recent
WinXP one (as of 11:55pm, 27/12/03)...
</flame>

--
Kind regards,

T.N.O.

Chris Wilkinson wrote:
> <flame>
> I've just noticed my linux driver (532 is newer than the most recent
> WinXP one (as of 11:55pm, 27/12/03)...
> </flame>

see my finger doing the twirly thing and hear me saying woop-de-do.

~misfit~

T.N.O. wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>> <flame>
>> I've just noticed my linux driver (532 is newer than the most
>> recent WinXP one (as of 11:55pm, 27/12/03)...
>> </flame>

> see my finger doing the twirly thing and hear me saying woop-de-do.

LOL.
--
~misfit~

joe_90

Dumdedo wrote:
> When you some times update the Nvidia drivers it will revert to the

Basic
> 800x600 screen mode, this is Very Normal

Agreed, but in this case the resolution was reverting to 800x600 on
*every* boot.

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

T.N.O. wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> <flame>
>> I've just noticed my linux driver (532 is newer than the most recent
>> WinXP one (as of 11:55pm, 27/12/03)...
>> </flame>

> see my finger doing the twirly thing and hear me saying woop-de-do.

Hehe. Thought you might care as much! Only reason I mentioned it is
that I saw one of the many assumed ID's belonging to Woger putting in
2c to this thread...

--
Kind regards,