Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SVCD files on DVD-R disk

SVCD files on DVD-R disk

cowboyz

Santa didn't bring me a DVD writer so looking at one and I was wondering if
it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a couple of movies onto a
DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select the movie you want to see. And
play it on a stand alone DVD player.

Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the warehouse
(I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which looks good and
plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R
discs?

E. Scrooge

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bsgfb6$49q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Santa didn't bring me a DVD writer so looking at one and I was wondering

if
> it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a couple of movies onto a
> DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select the movie you want to see.

And
> play it on a stand alone DVD player.
>
> Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the

warehouse
> (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which looks good and
> plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R
> discs?

By shoving one into it. Also you can put the Ronnie Barker film "Porridge"
into it and tell me if the sound is very badly out of sync on it. It's the
only one I've seen that causes a problem. Despite that it's a good enough
buy.

E. Scrooge

Lennier

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:01:25 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

> I was wondering
> if it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a couple of movies
> onto a DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select the movie you want to
> see. And play it on a stand alone DVD player.

Cannot see why not...

How do you intend to create the menus?

Lennier

cowboyz

Lennier wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:01:25 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
>
>> I was wondering
>> if it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a couple of
>> movies onto a DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select the movie
>> you want to see. And play it on a stand alone DVD player.

> Cannot see why not...
>
> How do you intend to create the menus?
>
> Lennier

I have no idea yet.
playing Mr surfer man right now but got distracted trying to figure out how
to resample xbox ingame movies

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:01:25 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

> Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the warehouse
> (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which looks good and
> plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R
> discs?

For playback, +r or -r don't matter.

cowboyz

Uncle StoatWarbler wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:01:25 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
>
>> Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the
>> warehouse (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award)
>> which looks good and plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out
>> if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R discs?

> For playback, +r or -r don't matter.

It doesn't? I don't really understand the difference to tell the truth.

If it doesn't matter. What is the debate about the formats? It seems
DVD+R is faster or capable of faster write speeds than DVD-R.

Burt

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bsgfb6$49q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Santa didn't bring me a DVD writer so looking at one and I was wondering

if
> it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a couple of movies onto a
> DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select the movie you want to see.

And
> play it on a stand alone DVD player.
>
> Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the

warehouse
> (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which looks good and
> plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R
> discs?

Best software for what you want is here:

http://www.svcd2dvdmpg.com

Does conversion and menu creation all in one.

Cheers

Burt

cowboyz

Burt wrote:
> "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bsgfb6$49q$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Santa didn't bring me a DVD writer so looking at one and I was
>> wondering if it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a
>> couple of movies onto a DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select
>> the movie you want to see. And play it on a stand alone DVD player.
>>
>> Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the
>> warehouse (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award)
>> which looks good and plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out
>> if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R discs?
>>

> Best software for what you want is here:
>
> http://www.svcd2dvdmpg.com
>
> Does conversion and menu creation all in one.
>
> Cheers
>
> Burt

that looks good. now all I need is a dvd burner!

Uncle StoatWarbler

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 08:37:02 +1300, cowboyz wrote:

>> For playback, +r or -r don't matter.

> It doesn't? I don't really understand the difference to tell the truth.

Effectively, +r is preformatted and -r isn't.

> If it doesn't matter. What is the debate about the formats? It seems
> DVD+R is faster or capable of faster write speeds than DVD-R.

+RW is definitely faster to record and a lot easier to append to.

The situation at the moment is that there are -r +r and RAM formats out
there, all being pushed by different manufacturers, all vying for market
share.

If you can afford a multistandrd writer, the differences are minimal, but
dvd-ram disks won't run in a standard player.

.... nor will +r(w) or -r(w) if not formatted correctly, but that's a
matter of the content of the disc, not the disc itself.

Tim

"Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 18:01:25 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
>
>> Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the
>> warehouse (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which
>> looks good and plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it
>> wants DVD-R or DVD+R discs?

> For playback, +r or -r don't matter.

Some players are picky about what discs they will play. Only way to know
for sure is to put one in and see.

--
Tim
- <insert witty signature here>