Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SVCD files on DVD-R disk

SVCD files on DVD-R disk

cowboyz

"Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed).. .
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 08:37:02 +1300, cowboyz wrote:
>
> >> For playback, +r or -r don't matter.

> > It doesn't? I don't really understand the difference to tell the truth.

> Effectively, +r is preformatted and -r isn't.
>
> > If it doesn't matter. What is the debate about the formats? It seems
> > DVD+R is faster or capable of faster write speeds than DVD-R.

> +RW is definitely faster to record and a lot easier to append to.
>
> The situation at the moment is that there are -r +r and RAM formats out
> there, all being pushed by different manufacturers, all vying for market
> share.
>
> If you can afford a multistandrd writer, the differences are minimal, but
> dvd-ram disks won't run in a standard player.
>
> ... nor will +r(w) or -r(w) if not formatted correctly, but that's a
> matter of the content of the disc, not the disc itself.

Ive seen a Liteon DVD+-R dual writer for $227 which is hardly a budget
blowout. The writer I was looking at was a -r writer for $149 but it is
only a 2x. I might just pay the minimal extra for 4x writing. The thing I
am most concerned about is I loan discs to friends and it would be a pain
in the arse to buy a -r writer and find they can't play the discs (or the
other way around)

Dual writer might just be safer in the long run.

PS. Isn't the Liteon one of the ones on the exclusive non-crapTM list?

Mutley

"Burt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bsgfb6$49q$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Santa didn't bring me a DVD writer so looking at one and I was wondering

>if
>> it is possible to still convert to SVCD and burn a couple of movies onto a
>> DVDR disk. With a menu of course to select the movie you want to see.

>And
>> play it on a stand alone DVD player.
>>
>> Also, Stand alone players. Got a Transonic DVD player from the

>warehouse
>> (I am almost certain that it will get a crapTM award) which looks good and
>> plays my current SVCD discs. How do I find out if it wants DVD-R or DVD+R
>> discs?
>>

>Best software for what you want is here:
>
>http://www.svcd2dvdmpg.com
>
>Does conversion and menu creation all in one.
>
>Cheers
>
>Burt

Had a play with this today. However when I played the resultant file
it was left justified. Checking the P&S area didn't fix it..

Though the package does a good job at converting SCVD to SVCD
recordable to DVD media..

Tim

"cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bsj30n$9h8$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Uncle StoatWarbler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed).. .

>> > It doesn't? I don't really understand the difference to tell the
>> > truth.

>> Effectively, +r is preformatted and -r isn't.
>>
>> > If it doesn't matter. What is the debate about the formats? It
>> > seems DVD+R is faster or capable of faster write speeds than DVD-R.

>> +RW is definitely faster to record and a lot easier to append to.
>>
>> The situation at the moment is that there are -r +r and RAM formats
>> out there, all being pushed by different manufacturers, all vying for
>> market share.
>>
>> If you can afford a multistandrd writer, the differences are minimal,
>> but dvd-ram disks won't run in a standard player.
>>
>> ... nor will +r(w) or -r(w) if not formatted correctly, but that's a
>> matter of the content of the disc, not the disc itself.
>>

> Ive seen a Liteon DVD+-R dual writer for $227 which is hardly a budget
> blowout. The writer I was looking at was a -r writer for $149 but it
> is only a 2x. I might just pay the minimal extra for 4x writing. The
> thing I am most concerned about is I loan discs to friends and it
> would be a pain in the arse to buy a -r writer and find they can't
> play the discs (or the other way around)
>
> Dual writer might just be safer in the long run.
>
> PS. Isn't the Liteon one of the ones on the exclusive non-crapTM
> list?

Nope - their CD writers are generally good but unfortunately their dvd
writers are very problematic.
The Pioneer 106 or A06 are generally regarded as very good writers - if
you are in Auckland a couple of PC shops up there have them for about
$260 or so - check pricespy.
I will be getting a 106 myself in a couple of weeks - i've asked a few
owners and they are all very impressed with them. The 106 is the OEM
drive, A06 is the retail boxed version.

--
Tim
- <insert witty signature here>

cowboyz

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns945EC7A486B5Cnewsgroupsnetdaemonc@210.48.2 2.5...
> "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:bsj30n$9h8$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > PS. Isn't the Liteon one of the ones on the exclusive non-crapTM
> > list?

> Nope - their CD writers are generally good but unfortunately their dvd
> writers are very problematic.
> The Pioneer 106 or A06 are generally regarded as very good writers - if
> you are in Auckland a couple of PC shops up there have them for about
> $260 or so - check pricespy.
> I will be getting a 106 myself in a couple of weeks - i've asked a few
> owners and they are all very impressed with them. The 106 is the OEM
> drive, A06 is the retail boxed version.
>
> --
> Tim
> - <insert witty signature here>

**** it.

Although I seem to have a really good run with CrapTM gear. I'm pretty busy
over the next week while workers are taking holidays so I'll think about it
over new year.