Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Infrared link to mobile phone

Infrared link to mobile phone

SomebodyElse

Hi. I just got myself a new mobile phone (Christmas present to myself)
It's an Alcatel One Touch 735
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/ge...lcatel_735.jsp

What do I need to get for my computer to be able to use the infrared
transfer from phone to computer & vice versa?

Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.

Cheers
Scott

Aaron Lawrence

Suddenly, SomebodyElse sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> Hi. I just got myself a new mobile phone (Christmas present to myself)
> It's an Alcatel One Touch 735
> http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/ge...lcatel_735.jsp
>
> What do I need to get for my computer to be able to use the infrared
> transfer from phone to computer & vice versa?
>
> Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.

Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.
It needs to be enabled (on my Dell, there is a BIOS setting to enable
it; it's off by default for some reason).
Then you need the phone drivers (AFAIK) to create a modem that
communicates through the IR port. Or perhaps the phone works as a modem
automatically, but you would still have to create a modem.
Some phones come with software (my Nokia 6610 did) but I understand some
don't, you have to buy it, maybe with the USB cable.

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

SomebodyElse

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:04:25 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

> Suddenly, SomebodyElse sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
>> Hi. I just got myself a new mobile phone (Christmas present to myself)
>> It's an Alcatel One Touch 735
>> http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/ge...lcatel_735.jsp
>>
>> What do I need to get for my computer to be able to use the infrared
>> transfer from phone to computer & vice versa?
>>
>> Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.

> Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.

Is this a wireless network card or is it something else? Is it a component
I can buy or is it something built into the motherboard or something?

> It needs to be enabled (on my Dell, there is a BIOS setting to enable
> it; it's off by default for some reason).
> Then you need the phone drivers (AFAIK) to create a modem that
> communicates through the IR port. Or perhaps the phone works as a modem
> automatically, but you would still have to create a modem.
> Some phones come with software (my Nokia 6610 did) but I understand some
> don't, you have to buy it, maybe with the USB cable.

The phone came with all the software, but seems to be decidedly lacking on
documentation for connecting it (it has masses of documentation for other
features though )

I could get a usb data cable for it, but they don't currently have any in
stock at the Vodafone shop near me, and I'd rather not have another cable
cluttering up my desk...

- Scott

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:08:04 +1300, SomebodyElse <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:04:25 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:
>
>> Suddenly, SomebodyElse sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
>>> Hi. I just got myself a new mobile phone (Christmas present to myself)
>>> It's an Alcatel One Touch 735
>>> http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/ge...lcatel_735.jsp
>>>
>>> What do I need to get for my computer to be able to use the infrared
>>> transfer from phone to computer & vice versa?
>>>
>>> Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.

>> Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.

>Is this a wireless network card or is it something else? Is it a component
>I can buy or is it something built into the motherboard or something?

Its an external device which you usually plug into a USB port.

They normally go for around $40 for trademe. Do a search for "irda" on
trademe and you'll see a few for auctio for between $35-$60

Probably more useful than a USB cable as the irda port isn't tied into
one specific phone (i.e. you can use it with other phones if you
upgrade) or other devices (Palm's etc....)

SomebodyElse

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 04:31:54 GMT, C wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:08:04 +1300, SomebodyElse <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:04:25 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:
>>
>>> Suddenly, SomebodyElse sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:

>>> Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.

>>Is this a wireless network card or is it something else? Is it a component
>>I can buy or is it something built into the motherboard or something?

> Its an external device which you usually plug into a USB port.
>
> They normally go for around $40 for trademe. Do a search for "irda" on
> trademe and you'll see a few for auctio for between $35-$60
>
> Probably more useful than a USB cable as the irda port isn't tied into
> one specific phone (i.e. you can use it with other phones if you
> upgrade) or other devices (Palm's etc....)

Great thanks for that. I'd rather get an infrared port that a cable for
that reason, as well as the clutter, I just didn't know what I was looking
for.

Yes, there are a few on trademe, and now I know what I'm looking for I can
look for new ones too. But I think trademe will probably be pretty good,
looking at the prices (it's the postage that can be the problem sometimes)

It seems to be a lot cheaper than buying a data cable for the phone anyway
(I think they told me it'd be something like $80 or $90 - which I thought
was a bit steep....)

Thanks for your help
Scott

KS

SomebodyElse wrote:
> Hi. I just got myself a new mobile phone (Christmas present to myself)
> It's an Alcatel One Touch 735
> http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/ge...lcatel_735.jsp

Say, how goes the phone and pxt ? Worthwhile ?

I was looking at one of the 735, but was concerned the buttons would be a
little small for texting. Is the display big enuf ? Ta.

Alastair Foster

SomebodyElse <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<eq6jbd69ncdz$(E-Mail Removed)>.. .

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:04:25 +1200, Aaron Lawrence wrote:

> >> What do I need to get for my computer to be able to use the infrared
> >> transfer from phone to computer & vice versa?
> >> Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.

> > Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.

> Is this a wireless network card or is it something else? Is it a component
> I can buy or is it something built into the motherboard or something?

Nope; wireless networking is a totally different thing. Aaron is
referring to a port which you find on the motherboard of many modern
PCs which allows you to connect an infrared adaptor and mount it on
the housing of your PC. From what I understand, these adaptors are
cheap but difficult to get hold of because you need to get the right
one to suit your motherboard.

To save all this hassle, it might be easier to just get a USB-infrared
(IrDA) adaptor which you can pick up at a place like Dick Smith or
Ascent for around $60. Unfortunately, if you're using a Mac then this
might not work because I haven't ever managed to find a USB-infrared
adaptor that's Mac compatible (if anyone knows of one, I'd appreciate
the info).

> I could get a usb data cable for it, but they don't currently have any in
> stock at the Vodafone shop near me, and I'd rather not have another cable
> cluttering up my desk...

Check the price before you order one of these as many of them are
extremely expensive.

Aaron Lawrence

Suddenly, SomebodyElse sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
> > Well, you need an infrared port on the computer of course.

> Is this a wireless network card or is it something else? Is it a component
> I can buy or is it something built into the motherboard or something?

Well, I was assuming you had a laptop, which generally have infrared
port. It's quite a different/more difficult proposition when talking
about desktops.

> The phone came with all the software, but seems to be decidedly lacking on
> documentation for connecting it (it has masses of documentation for other
> features though )

Pretty standard. I had to muddle my way through it, there was no guide.
They don't seem to like supporting the PC side of things. The Nokia
software is also not very well designed - pretty, mostly functional, but
a mess basically.

> I could get a usb data cable for it, but they don't currently have any in
> stock at the Vodafone shop near me, and I'd rather not have another cable
> cluttering up my desk...

They are often outrageously expensive also. Dick Smith wanted to charge
nearly $200 for the cable I wanted, hence the desire to use Infrared!

--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and
opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

Pete

"SomebodyElse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ahnpkw34ndkt.1qiwxwld96cii$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. I just got myself a new mobile phone (Christmas present to myself)
> It's an Alcatel One Touch 735
> http://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobiles/ge...lcatel_735.jsp
>
> What do I need to get for my computer to be able to use the infrared
> transfer from phone to computer & vice versa?
>
> Do I need any wireless network card or is it something else I need.
>
> Cheers
> Scott

Hi Scott,

I just got a USB Infra Red Module from Dick Smiths to use with the Alcatel
735 I got my wife for Christmas (quite a funky phone by the way), and so far
it works fine. You can check it out here:
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH8048

There may well be cheaper options around but I just wanted something quickly
so that she can get her Outlook Contacts synced up with the phone, and
couldn't be bothered shopping around.

Have fun with your 735,

Pete.