Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft's Xmas Message......

Microsoft's Xmas Message......

Enkidu

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:06:38 +1300, Lennier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:56:36 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
>
>>> Solution, buy your computer in pieces and put it together yourself. Some
>>> cannot do that you say?? too bad! They shouldn't buy such microsoft
>>> software.

>> Another solution is to enable the XP firewall when you first connect to
>> the internet, if you use the wizard(like most n00bs do) then it will ask
>> you, and if you aren't a n00b, you should know to enable it anyway.

>A third solution is to install a system (such as RedHat or Mandrake) which
>does not suffer from those out-of-the-box vulnerabilities.

RH and Mandrake do suffer from vulnerabilities out of the box. The
first thing I do when I build a box, whatever the OS, is install all
the security and update patches. There are easily as many for Linux as
for Windows. The minimum for astripped down Linux system would be
around 70 -80 MB. For a fully configured system it would be around 120
- 150MB.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.

Enkidu

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:27:01 +1300, "T.N.O."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Warwick wrote:
>> One wonders why the onus of preparing the machine for 'net readiness' does
>> not fall onto the vendor.
>> They are preinstalling the software anyway, why cant they install the
>> patches before sale?

>If the vendor is someone like Dell, then they do, to a point, update them.
>
>When I worked in a PC shop, we used to, it wasn't really a problem, do
>the latest SP, do the latest IE updates, and then run windowsupdate.com
>and see what was left. took about 10 mins from memory.

Then your memory is faulty. Depends on the speed of the machine, but
the SPs can take up to 1/2 hour. WindowsUpdate has to be done at least
twice because installing some things (eg IE updates) means that other
patches need to be installed. If you did nothing else, you could do it
in an hour.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.

Lennier

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:57:46 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> This is a manufacturing process and as a result the image *has* to be
> right, otherwise you are going to get lots of people returning dud
> machines. I'd say it would take a minimum of a few weeks to create and
> verify an image. Even then it might take more weeks to be fitted in the
> first machine.

Yes - agreed.

However, don't you think it's been more than enough time for them to be
now deploying images that have SP1 already installed?

Lennier

T.N.O.

Lennier wrote:
> A day to install everything and get it all set up back as I like it.
> Less than an hour to create and to verify a complete image of my C:
> partition in CD sized chunks.
> If I had broadband, it would likewise be quickly pushed out to the server.

As much as I hate to say this, you seem a lot smarter than the average
windows computer user...

T.N.O.

Lennier wrote:
> A third solution is to install a system (such as RedHat or Mandrake) which
> does not suffer from those out-of-the-box vulnerabilities.

Good idea, but what about for dumb users who know nothing of Linux and
the potential benefits to them? they arent going to miraculously find
out about it now are they.

> Here is a point in question. Why has not Micro$oft not produced an updated
> version of XP that sorts out those massive vulnerabilities which were
> revealed in the same week as when XP went on sale?

If you buy XP now you get XP with SP1, so yeah, they have addressed
that, infact, the latest CD to come with the Dells we have at work is
called WinXP SP1b and seems to include the blaster patch and a few
others... handy.

T.N.O.

Enkidu wrote:
> Then your memory is faulty. Depends on the speed of the machine, but
> the SPs can take up to 1/2 hour. WindowsUpdate has to be done at least
> twice because installing some things (eg IE updates) means that other
> patches need to be installed. If you did nothing else, you could do it
> in an hour.

Sorry, It was that we were doing multiple machines at the same time, so
5 machines over 2.5 hrs or something, moving along the bench doing
multiple machines at once.

T.N.O.

Lennier wrote:
> However, don't you think it's been more than enough time for them to be
> now deploying images that have SP1 already installed?

they do... but there have been alot of patches since SP1

Max Burke

> T.N.O. scribbled:
> If you buy XP now you get XP with SP1, so yeah, they have addressed
> that, infact, the latest CD to come with the Dells we have at work is
> called WinXP SP1b and seems to include the blaster patch and a few
> others... handy.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826939

Microsoft has released Update Rollup 1 for Microsoft Windows XP. An update
rollup is a cumulative set of hotfixes, security patches, critical updates,
and updates that are packaged together for easy deployment. Update Rollup 1
for Windows XP is a single package that includes many previously released
critical updates for Windows XP.

--
mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
See Found Images at:

Enkidu

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 13:44:04 +1300, Lennier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:57:46 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> This is a manufacturing process and as a result the image *has* to be
>> right, otherwise you are going to get lots of people returning dud
>> machines. I'd say it would take a minimum of a few weeks to create and
>> verify an image. Even then it might take more weeks to be fitted in the
>> first machine.

>Yes - agreed.
>
>However, don't you think it's been more than enough time for them to be
>now deploying images that have SP1 already installed?

Some are. I'm not aware if Compaq and Dell do so.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.

Enkidu

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:29:03 +1300, "T.N.O."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Enkidu wrote:
>> Then your memory is faulty. Depends on the speed of the machine, but
>> the SPs can take up to 1/2 hour. WindowsUpdate has to be done at least
>> twice because installing some things (eg IE updates) means that other
>> patches need to be installed. If you did nothing else, you could do it
>> in an hour.

>Sorry, It was that we were doing multiple machines at the same time, so
>5 machines over 2.5 hrs or something, moving along the bench doing
>multiple machines at once.

Yep, I know what you mean.

Cheers,

Cliff

OT C's early xmas wish Consultant MCSE 8 02-03-2006 09:40 PM
Merry XMas WJ ASP .Net 1 12-22-2004 11:03 PM
xmas party sonic MCSE 8 12-13-2004 05:26 PM
OT: XMas Funny =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?= MCSE 1 12-24-2003 04:40 PM
Re: Don't buy music this Xmas! Boycott the RIAA! Nick Firefox 0 10-05-2003 10:03 AM

Advertisments