Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Microsoft's Xmas Message......

Microsoft's Xmas Message......

Lennier

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 10:17:42 +1300, jerm wrote:

>>I mean, how many persons does it take, and over how many minutes does it
>>take to create a drive image in the first place????
>>

> About 2-3 weeks to create and distribute, world wide, all the patches to
> date.

LOL - pushing it out to an FTP server and emailing people hardly takes 2-3
weeks.

I recently reformatted the C: drive of my Windows box and reinstalled
everything again - something I've been in the habit of doing about every
8-9 months so that everything keeps working as it should.

This time I also installed the version of Drive Image which was bundled
with the MOBO.

A day to install everything and get it all set up back as I like it.

Less than an hour to create and to verify a complete image of my C:
partition in CD sized chunks.

If I had broadband, it would likewise be quickly pushed out to the server.

The reality is that they simply do not want to produce updated images.

And if they were concerned about being sued for not having all updates,
then all they have to do is to state "Updated with all patches
released prior to DDMMMYYYY"

Lennier

steve

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 14:33:31 +1300, Warwick wrote:

> Not very satisfactory is it?

I agree.....

> One wonders why the onus of preparing the machine for 'net readiness' does
> not fall onto the vendor.

If they don't want to accept responsibility....they simply disclaim it and
becasue they have a monopoly, 90% of the sheeples act as though they have
no choice.

80% of that 90% don't know what they are being arned about....or how to
address it.

> They are preinstalling the software anyway, why cant they install the
> patches before sale?

Too expensive......the sheeples will buy it anyway. It's not as though
most of them have any choice.

steve

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:27:01 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

> Warwick wrote:
>> One wonders why the onus of preparing the machine for 'net readiness' does
>> not fall onto the vendor.
>> They are preinstalling the software anyway, why cant they install the
>> patches before sale?

> If the vendor is someone like Dell, then they do, to a point, update them.
>
> When I worked in a PC shop, we used to, it wasn't really a problem, do
> the latest SP, do the latest IE updates, and then run windowsupdate.com
> and see what was left. took about 10 mins from memory.

IN NZ...maybe....but if shipping 1,000 (or 5,000) PC's / day....and more
at peaks....it becomes a serious time and logistical issue.

steve

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:59:54 +1300, Lennier wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 17:21:51 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> So if a patch comes out NOW, the earliest it could possibly appear in
>> machines in the retailers could be 13 -14 weeks. That is too out of date.

> Solution, buy your computer in pieces and put it together yourself.
>
> Some cannot do that you say?? too bad! They shouldn't buy such microsoft
> software.

You make a good point.

My neighbour is firmly in that boat. He bought a PC with WinXP....has NO
IDEA what the issues are - never mind how to fix them - and he's on a
dial-up connection.

To download all those patches would take many hours...on the household's
one phone line.

He refuses to do it.

We've cleaned any number of viruses off his PC over the past few months.

Lennier

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:23:09 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

>>I mean, how many persons does it take, and over how many minutes does it
>>take to create a drive image in the first place????
>>

> Well first you have to download the fix, then you have to test it and then
> you have to QA it, I don't think that it's a simple thing to update a
> master image and you don't do it overnight. You don't want to send out
> machines that reboot all the time or fall over when you open Explorer or
> something like that.

Yes - but to take weeks???

Lennier

T.N.O.

Lennier wrote:
>>So if a patch comes out NOW, the earliest it could possibly appear in
>>machines in the retailers could be 13 -14 weeks. That is too out of date.

> Solution, buy your computer in pieces and put it together yourself.
> Some cannot do that you say?? too bad! They shouldn't buy such microsoft
> software.

Another solution is to enable the XP firewall when you first connect to
the internet, if you use the wizard(like most n00bs do) then it will ask
you, and if you aren't a n00b, you should know to enable it anyway.

Lennier

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:40:13 +1300, steve wrote:

>> When I worked in a PC shop, we used to, it wasn't really a problem, do
>> the latest SP, do the latest IE updates, and then run windowsupdate.com
>> and see what was left. took about 10 mins from memory.

> IN NZ...maybe....but if shipping 1,000 (or 5,000) PC's / day....and more
> at peaks....it becomes a serious time and logistical issue.

If they're all identical, then simply create a new master image of the HDD
and use that instead of the original master.

Lennier

Lennier

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:43:29 +1300, steve wrote:

> You make a good point.
>
> My neighbour is firmly in that boat. He bought a PC with WinXP....has NO
> IDEA what the issues are - never mind how to fix them - and he's on a
> dial-up connection.
>
> To download all those patches would take many hours...on the household's
> one phone line.
>
> He refuses to do it.
>
> We've cleaned any number of viruses off his PC over the past few months.

Confiscate his modem!!!!!! ;o)

Lennier

Lennier

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:56:36 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

>> Solution, buy your computer in pieces and put it together yourself. Some
>> cannot do that you say?? too bad! They shouldn't buy such microsoft
>> software.

> Another solution is to enable the XP firewall when you first connect to
> the internet, if you use the wizard(like most n00bs do) then it will ask
> you, and if you aren't a n00b, you should know to enable it anyway.

A third solution is to install a system (such as RedHat or Mandrake) which
does not suffer from those out-of-the-box vulnerabilities.

Here is a point in question. Why has not Micro$oft not produced an updated
version of XP that sorts out those massive vulnerabilities which were
revealed in the same week as when XP went on sale?

Lennier

Enkidu

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:47:00 +1300, Lennier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 11:23:09 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>>>I mean, how many persons does it take, and over how many minutes does it
>>>take to create a drive image in the first place????
>>>

>> Well first you have to download the fix, then you have to test it and then
>> you have to QA it, I don't think that it's a simple thing to update a
>> master image and you don't do it overnight. You don't want to send out
>> machines that reboot all the time or fall over when you open Explorer or
>> something like that.

>Yes - but to take weeks???

Easily. Eg Compaq laptops out of Asia can take up to six weeks to be
delivered. Most shipments are pre-sold. Add on to that the time a
machine would take to build. Or rather a *batch* of machines.

During the SARS scare it went out to eight weeks, minimum, because
there were less planes, and hence less cargo space.

Your custom-built Dell would take almost as long because its built in
Thailand or somewhere.

This is a manufacturing process and as a result the image *has* to be
right, otherwise you are going to get lots of people returning dud
machines. I'd say it would take a minimum of a few weeks to create and
verify an image. Even then it might take more weeks to be fitted in
the first machine.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.

OT C's early xmas wish Consultant MCSE 8 02-03-2006 09:40 PM
Merry XMas WJ ASP .Net 1 12-22-2004 11:03 PM
xmas party sonic MCSE 8 12-13-2004 05:26 PM
OT: XMas Funny =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?= MCSE 1 12-24-2003 04:40 PM
Re: Don't buy music this Xmas! Boycott the RIAA! Nick Firefox 0 10-05-2003 10:03 AM

Advertisments