Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Call of Duty

Call of Duty

Jerry

My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
box directly on the internet?

Thanks, Jerry

XPD

"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
> Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
> activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
> but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
> see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
> server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
> anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
> box directly on the internet?
>
> Thanks, Jerry

Check exactly what ports it requires and make sure you arent blocking them I
guess.... Ive got COD as well but havent tried online as yet.

Jerry

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 22:22:16 +1300, "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Jerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
>> Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
>> activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
>> but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
>> see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
>> server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
>> anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
>> box directly on the internet?
>>
>> Thanks, Jerry

>Check exactly what ports it requires and make sure you arent blocking them I
>guess.... Ive got COD as well but havent tried online as yet.

I don't have any ports blocked

RecyclerMan

Jerry wrote:
> My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
> Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
> activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
> but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
> see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
> server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
> anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
> box directly on the internet?
>
> Thanks, Jerry

Although it is a bitch to work with you can map the port you are using
on your client pc to the server (from the server) and then COD wont know
the difference its called pinholing there is a kernal module loded up on
start up but disabled in the firewall rules for quake this may be of
some help the third option is bitch to the software devoloper as with
adsl and the like most places will be firewalled and ipmasq'ed soon as
many people take advantage of many computers using the net....

there was some helpful help on this matter on kazzalite on the topic of
using kazza behind a router not that I actualy use kazzalight

Robert

BackToNormal

Jerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
> Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
> activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
> but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
> see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
> server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
> anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
> box directly on the internet?
>
> Thanks, Jerry

I run it on a 56k modem. Try the xtra servers?
Cheers
Dane

--
"People do not make decisions on facts, rather,
how they feel about the facts" Robert Consedine

Jerry

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 19:59:27 +1300, Jerry
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
>Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
>activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
>but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
>see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
>server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
>anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
>box directly on the internet?
>
>Thanks, Jerry

Some time ago I had Zone Alarm on this machine, I never unstalled it,
but ages ago took it out of the start up. If I start Zone Alarm
before running COD in connects just fine. Got the kid all happy now,
but does anyone know WTF is happening here? I wouldn't have thought
turning a firewall ON would solve the problem. Whatever works I
guess...

Jerry

-[Myth]-

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 19:59:27 +1300, Jerry wrote:

> My son got this game for Xmas, and we can't get it to play online.
> Connection here is Saturn cable, through an E-Smith server. The
> activision site says the game wants a dedicated internet connection,
> but it is hard to believe there isn't a way around this. I can't even
> see any activity on the switch when I try to connect to the game
> server. Any other games work fine (soldier of Fortune, etc). Does
> anyone know how I might get this to work, other than putting a windows
> box directly on the internet?
>
> Thanks, Jerry

works fine for me through a router, the trick is to use The All Seeing Eye
and launch games from there, rather than using the in-game browser.