Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Electric fences

Electric fences

Lynn

Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
Thanks for any assistance
Regards, Lynn

Craig Shore

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
>neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
>my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
>it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
> Thanks for any assistance

Remove the neighbours electric fence when they are out?

Alister F

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore) wrote in news:3fe7f4d1.194044260
@news.paradise.net.nz:

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
>>neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
>>my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
>>it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
>> Thanks for any assistance

> Remove the neighbours electric fence when they are out?

I used to have a timer on my electric fence unit that gave me a window
during the evening to dial out without problems. Maybe if you could give
your neighbour a timer to fit to his unit then you could connect to atleast
collect emails etc. Stock are not continuously testing the fence's
condition so having the unit off for short periods shouldn't cause any
problems.

I also suggest you set the timer for 15 to 20 minutes at say lunch time so
you can also go online if necessary.

Warwick

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn wrote:

> Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
> neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
> my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
> it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
> Thanks for any assistance
> Regards, Lynn

If its a noise problem (and it almost sure is) I totally fail to understand
why the the laptop would connect and the desktop not. Are they connected at
the same place ?
Otherwise ask telecom what their opinion of the situation is, there must be
regulations about devices radiating noise, and if it is preventing people
accessing their services they will be concerned.

best
Warwick

SomebodyElse

On 23 Dec 2003 21:28:09 +1300, Alister F wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore) wrote in news:3fe7f4d1.194044260
> @news.paradise.net.nz:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
>>>neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
>>>my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
>>>it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
>>> Thanks for any assistance

>> Remove the neighbours electric fence when they are out?
>>

> I used to have a timer on my electric fence unit that gave me a window
> during the evening to dial out without problems. Maybe if you could give
> your neighbour a timer to fit to his unit then you could connect to atleast
> collect emails etc. Stock are not continuously testing the fence's
> condition so having the unit off for short periods shouldn't cause any
> problems.
>
> I also suggest you set the timer for 15 to 20 minutes at say lunch time so
> you can also go online if necessary.

Wow that would seriously **** me off. Surely there's something that can be
done?

- Scott

Lynn

Alister F wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore) wrote in news:3fe7f4d1.194044260
> @news.paradise.net.nz:
>

>>On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
>>>neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
>>>my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
>>>it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
>>> Thanks for any assistance

>>Remove the neighbours electric fence when they are out?
>>

> I used to have a timer on my electric fence unit that gave me a window
> during the evening to dial out without problems. Maybe if you could give
> your neighbour a timer to fit to his unit then you could connect to atleast
> collect emails etc. Stock are not continuously testing the fence's
> condition so having the unit off for short periods shouldn't cause any
> problems.
>
> I also suggest you set the timer for 15 to 20 minutes at say lunch time so
> you can also go online if necessary.

He will turn his fence off if I ring him up and ask but it is becoming a
bit of a pain. Im waiting for some rain to see if maybe it is his earth
that needs fixing or moving to a wetter area. Is it possible to filter
it out at my computer some how? My laptop seems to be able to handle it
for some reason.
Lynn

Lynn

Warwick wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn wrote:
>

>>Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
>>neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
>>my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
>>it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
>> Thanks for any assistance
>>Regards, Lynn

> If its a noise problem (and it almost sure is) I totally fail to understand
> why the the laptop would connect and the desktop not. Are they connected at
> the same place ?

The laptop and desktop use the same wiring i.e. I only have one or the
other connected at a time as I don't have a network or internet sharing.
You can hear the fence clicking when trying to dial up and it then
starts disconnecting.
With the laptop I just hear one click and as it connects and it seems to
be able to stay connected.
Lynn

> Otherwise ask telecom what their opinion of the situation is, there must be
> regulations about devices radiating noise, and if it is preventing people
> accessing their services they will be concerned.
>
> best
> Warwick

Jason M

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
>neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
>my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
>it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.

Ask the electric fence manufacturer about it, their gear may be faulty
or could be altered easily. The manufacturers I spoke to at the
Mystery Creek Fielddays said that their fences didn't cause
interference.
If all else fails it's possible that you could use a satellite
internet service. e.g. ihug ultra. Even though it uses the phone line
for uploading it may be able to tolerate the interference.

Enkidu

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:41:02 +1300, Warwick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:53:34 +1300, Lynn wrote:
>
>> Hi, I have a problem with connecting to the internet via xtra when my
>> neighbours electric fence is on. I can connect with my lap top but not
>> my desk top computer. If the neighbours turn off their electric fence
>> it works ok. What is the best procedure for dealing with this problem.
>> Thanks for any assistance
>> Regards, Lynn

>If its a noise problem (and it almost sure is) I totally fail to understand
>why the the laptop would connect and the desktop not. Are they connected at
>the same place ?
>Otherwise ask telecom what their opinion of the situation is, there must be
>regulations about devices radiating noise, and if it is preventing people
>accessing their services they will be concerned.

The laptop is not earthed. The desktop definitely has a three wire
cable. Maybe it's an earth leakage problem.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.

Enkidu

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:45:53 +1300, Lynn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Alister F wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) (Craig Shore) wrote in news:3fe7f4d1.194044260
>> @news.paradise.net.nz:

[snipped a couple of other comments.

>He will turn his fence off if I ring him up and ask but it is becoming a
>bit of a pain. Im waiting for some rain to see if maybe it is his earth
>that needs fixing or moving to a wetter area. Is it possible to filter
>it out at my computer some how? My laptop seems to be able to handle it
>for some reason.

The laptop has no earth. The desktop probably has. I think you are
correct about the earth. Some sort of isolating circuit might do the
job. The electric fence vendor may be able to help.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.

Threading question - read-read coherency almost, sort of, withseq_cst fences Joshua Maurice C++ 8 06-16-2011 09:32 PM
Thermo Electric Cooling unholy Hardware 15 09-07-2005 07:56 AM
Fragile Fences Roedy Green Java 88 07-22-2005 04:11 AM
802.11b wireless and electric fences...... steve NZ Computing 26 03-13-2005 09:46 AM
More on 802.11b and eelctric fences. steve NZ Computing 1 03-12-2005 07:41 PM

Advertisments