Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Way off topic... question on states of a metal

Way off topic... question on states of a metal

T.N.O.

Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)

So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
temp?

forensic analysis

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
> read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)
>
> So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
> temp?

For a sorted list of pure elemental melting and boiling points, try
http://www.science.co.il/PTelements.asp?s=BP

Steel? An alloy, so it depends on the various component metals, but is
usually around 2500F (1370C)

Brendan

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:15:26 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

> Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
> read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)
>
> So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
> temp?

Steal is not a metal.

Steel however does vapourise at about 1400C. Other metals - like aluminium
and lead - much lower.

Breathing in vapourised steel can is good for clearing head colds.

--

.... Brendan

think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyones fault.
If it was Us, what did that make Me ? After all, Im one of Us. I must be.
Ive certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No-one ever thinks
of themselves as one of Them. Were always one of Us. Its Them that do

Note: All comments are copyright 2003, and are opinion only where not
otherwise stated, and always 'to the best of my reccollection'.

T.N.O.

forensic analysis wrote:
> For a sorted list of pure elemental melting and boiling points, try
> http://www.science.co.il/PTelements.asp?s=BP

Thanks for the link. reading it now.

> Steel? An alloy, so it depends on the various component metals, but is
> usually around 2500F (1370C)

ok, hows about alumin(i)um or some other metals?
The site lists boiling and melting temps, but doesnt really say about a
gaseous state.

-[Myth]-

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:41:19 +1300, forensic analysis wrote:

> "T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
>> read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)
>>
>> So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
>> temp?

> For a sorted list of pure elemental melting and boiling points, try
> http://www.science.co.il/PTelements.asp?s=BP
>
> Steel? An alloy, so it depends on the various component metals, but is
> usually around 2500F (1370C)

That is the melting point, not the boiling point. Pure iron will boil at
3000C, but am not sure about steel.

Jerry

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:28:24 +1300, Brendan
<corum.usenet@myrealbox....com> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:15:26 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
>
>> Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
>> read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)
>>
>> So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
>> temp?

>Steal is not a metal.
>
>Steel however does vapourise at about 1400C. Other metals - like aluminium
>and lead - much lower.
>
>Breathing in vapourised steel can is good for clearing head colds.

Don't go swimming after you do it though, you will sink like a stone

Jerry

T.N.O.

forensic analysis wrote:
>>The site lists boiling and melting temps, but doesnt really say about a
>>gaseous state.

> Melting Point = Transitional state of an element from solid to liquid
> Boiling Point = Transitional state of an element from liquid to gas
> Hence Boiling Point temperature provides an indication to conversion to
> gaseous state. ie water 100C

heh, good point... interesting really, I never thought of these things
being a gas before, and it kinda occured to me when I was in a drunken
stupor.

> The temperature provided above for Steel is an indicative melting point only
> ie solid to liquid, as there are many different alloy variants derived from
> an iron base. By heating steel from a liquid state a range of component
> elements will progressively evaporate until a residue is left, which would
> likely be carbon with a Boiling Point of 4827C.

Interesting... so the bonding would break down with the heat then... and
you would get a more pure metal(well, more pure "what ever the hell is
the highest boiling" substance in it).

> Aluminium is listed on the page - 660C for liquid (MP) and 2467 for gas (BP)
> Click on the "Name" column if you wish to view in alphabetical order, rather
> than by Boiling Point temperature.

Thanks, very helpful.

forensic analysis

"T.N.O." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bs4sc4$97d2g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> forensic analysis wrote:
> > For a sorted list of pure elemental melting and boiling points, try
> > http://www.science.co.il/PTelements.asp?s=BP

> Thanks for the link. reading it now.
>
> > Steel? An alloy, so it depends on the various component metals, but is
> > usually around 2500F (1370C)

> ok, hows about alumin(i)um or some other metals?
> The site lists boiling and melting temps, but doesnt really say about a
> gaseous state.

Melting Point = Transitional state of an element from solid to liquid
Boiling Point = Transitional state of an element from liquid to gas

Hence Boiling Point temperature provides an indication to conversion to
gaseous state. ie water 100C

The temperature provided above for Steel is an indicative melting point only
ie solid to liquid, as there are many different alloy variants derived from
an iron base. By heating steel from a liquid state a range of component
elements will progressively evaporate until a residue is left, which would
likely be carbon with a Boiling Point of 4827C.

Aluminium is listed on the page - 660C for liquid (MP) and 2467 for gas (BP)

Click on the "Name" column if you wish to view in alphabetical order, rather
than by Boiling Point temperature.

AD.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:42:04 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

>> The temperature provided above for Steel is an indicative melting point
>> only ie solid to liquid, as there are many different alloy variants
>> derived from an iron base. By heating steel from a liquid state a range
>> of component elements will progressively evaporate until a residue is
>> left, which would likely be carbon with a Boiling Point of 4827C.

> Interesting... so the bonding would break down with the heat then... and
> you would get a more pure metal(well, more pure "what ever the hell is the
> highest boiling" substance in it).

Sounds like distillation. Compounds don't usually chemically break down
when they evaporate - eg Water, Ethanol etc.

I think (I don't actually know) the reason steel would break down as
mentioned is that the carbon and iron etc aren't chemically bonded
together - just mixed in together. This would presumably be the same for
other alloys too.

Cheers
Anton

Brendan

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 09:55:52 +1300, Jerry wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:28:24 +1300, Brendan
> <corum.usenet@myrealbox....com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:15:26 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, so, water has ICE, Water, and Steam(a few others from what I have
>>> read but these are the ones I want to concentrate on...)
>>>
>>> So, my question is, does steal have a "gas" state? and if so, from what
>>> temp?

>>Steal is not a metal.
>>
>>Steel however does vapourise at about 1400C. Other metals - like aluminium
>>and lead - much lower.

Opps, that's the boiling point.

>>Breathing in vapourised steel can is good for clearing head colds.

> Don't go swimming after you do it though, you will sink like a stone

Whine whine

--

.... Brendan

communist, n: A person who questions the doctrine that the USA
are God's chosen people, the Corporation is the One True Church, and that
ownership of all human and natural resources (and copyrights/patents on
all possible forms of human expression) throughout the world should by
divine right be owned by US Corporations.