Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > dse wlan gear

dse wlan gear

-[Myth]-

Has anyone tried the DSE 802.11b gear (the access point or the PCI card)
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH7988 and
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH8135
Also is there much variation with the ranges and performance of different
wireless cards?

XPD

"-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone tried the DSE 802.11b gear (the access point or the PCI card)
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH7988 and
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH8135
> Also is there much variation with the ranges and performance of different
> wireless cards?

I was after one of their reduced to clear PCMCIA wireless cards that they
advertise on their site... rung 3 diff stores in Ak that are suppose to have
them and got told "no, dont have those".... the last store (Henderson) at
least told me the truth.... the cards were sent back to the service centre
because they failed to install on many systems, and if they did install they
jsut wouldnt run.

Hopefully their PCI offerings are better , but just be wary

Kinda sucky cause I was hoping to be able to sit out in the sun with the
laptop over xmas/new years

back again

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3fe53679$(E-Mail Removed):

> "-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Has anyone tried the DSE 802.11b gear (the access point or the PCI
>> card) http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH7988
>> and http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...product/XH8135
>> Also is there much variation with the ranges and performance of
>> different wireless cards?

> I was after one of their reduced to clear PCMCIA wireless cards that
> they advertise on their site... rung 3 diff stores in Ak that are
> suppose to have them and got told "no, dont have those".... the last
> store (Henderson) at least told me the truth.... the cards were sent
> back to the service centre because they failed to install on many
> systems, and if they did install they jsut wouldnt run.
>
> Hopefully their PCI offerings are better , but just be wary
>
> Kinda sucky cause I was hoping to be able to sit out in the sun with
> the laptop over xmas/new years

You'd probably have had too much glare on the laptop screen anyway

The Hobbit

"back again" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:3fe53679$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > "-[Myth]-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<Snip>
> > Kinda sucky cause I was hoping to be able to sit out in the sun with
> > the laptop over xmas/new years

> You'd probably have had too much glare on the laptop screen anyway

Agreed - this is a major limiting factor in how 'mobile' computing will be
going forward IMO... Now a HUD type display on bluetooth sunglasses

Richard Malcolm-Smith

The Hobbit wrote:

> Agreed - this is a major limiting factor in how 'mobile' computing will be
> going forward IMO... Now a HUD type display on bluetooth sunglasses

Then you will be waving your head around with dark glasses on like stevie wonder
or ray charles!

Anyway, bluetooth would be too slow...

Malone

Back to dse wlan gear...

I bought a whole lot of the dse wlan stuff and it has never really worked properly. Although I have got 4 computers talking to each other it is extremely slow (network utilisation peaks at about 1% if I am lucky) and the link will crash whenever I try to transfer a large (20MB) file. I have put this down to my general lack of experience with networking combined with Microsoft's apparent inability to provide network-friendly features when trying to get different OSs to talk to each other.

But perhaps it is the dse hardware / software? Do you think I could take it all back and ask for a refund - it is only a couple of months old?

Malone

"Richard Malcolm-Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bs7mm3$ol5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Hobbit wrote:
>
> > Agreed - this is a major limiting factor in how 'mobile' computing will be
> > going forward IMO... Now a HUD type display on bluetooth sunglasses

> Then you will be waving your head around with dark glasses on like stevie wonder
> or ray charles!
>
> Anyway, bluetooth would be too slow...

T.N.O.

Malone wrote:

> Back to dse wlan gear...
>
> I bought a whole lot of the dse wlan stuff and it has
> never really worked properly. Although I have got 4
> computers talking to each other it is extremely slow
> (network utilisation peaks at about 1% if I am lucky)
> and the link will crash whenever I try to transfer a
> large (20MB) file. I have put this down to my general
> lack of experience with networking combined with
> Microsoft's apparent inability to provide
> network-friendly features when trying to get different
> OSs to talk to each other.
>
> But perhaps it is the dse hardware / software? Do you
> think I could take it all back and ask for a refund
> - it is only a couple of months old?

Personally I'd be inclined to try it in another house... my last house
was crap with wireless gear, may have been the overhead power lines, but
anyway, it all worked fine in other areas, so yeah, I put it down to the
house.

Latest drivers etc? what OS's?

Richard Malcolm-Smith

Malone wrote:

> Back to dse wlan gear...
>
> I bought a whole lot of the dse wlan stuff and it has never really worked properly. Although I have got 4 computers talking to each other it is extremely slow (network utilisation peaks at about 1% if I am lucky) and the link will crash whenever I try to transfer a large (20MB) file. I have put this down to my general lack of experience with networking combined with Microsoft's apparent inability to provide network-friendly features when trying to get different OSs to talk to each other.
>
> But perhaps it is the dse hardware / software? Do you think I could take it all back and ask for a refund - it is only a couple of months old?
>
> Malone

How far are your computers from the accesspoint? Just because 2 machines are
next to each other doesnt mean the signal goes directly between them, it will
all go back to the accesspoint first.

I find im lucky to get 2 megabit from one end of the house to the other, but
with the AP in the middle it rarely drops to 5.5 anywhere in the house and is
even ok out to the car in the driveway. It will still get detected as an
available network for ages away (100m down the road) but its unusable from there.

-=rjh=-

Malone wrote:

> But perhaps it is the dse hardware / software? Do you think I could take
> it all back and ask for a refund - it is only a couple of months old?

I took all my stuff back - about a month after I bought it, although both
the AP and PCcard had each been replaced once already. DSE had no problem
with this, although they would have been happier if I'd returned it within
the 2 week return period.

I posted my experiences in this NG a few weeks ago, you can look them up, I
don't want to repost here.

Basically, I think that particular range of products from DSE is really bad;
and with the newer, higher speed kit available now for around the same
price, it isn't worth the hassle of dealing with the DSE hardware.

Malone

Thanks for the replies. Three of my computers are in the same room within a few metres together with the AP, the other computer is next door, but it doesn't make any difference if I bring it into the same room. The signal strength and link quality are both 100%. So I don't think things are too far apart.

Having read this thread I feel there may be a general problem with this equipment in which case I would be entitled to return it even after three months.

Has anyone got the dse wlan equipment working and is happy with it? (PCMCIA LAN card XH1152, USB LAN card XH1153 and Wireless LAN Access Point XH798.

Malone