Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Installing WinXP

Installing WinXP

steve

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:01:28 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 12:19:21 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 10:46:40 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>>

>>> The upgrade disk is bootable. You just need the Win98 disk to confirm
>>> that you have a license.

>>This is a funny thing.
>>
>>NO WAY could I boot that upgrade disk until after
>>the WinXP install had installed it's boot manager.
>>
>>I must have tried booting that CD 15 times.....and then noticed after one
>>of the failed XP installs that it now prompted me to boot the CD.
>>
>>So it won't boot through the BIOS....it seems to require the NT bootloader
>>to be there.

> The XP CD Is bootable , but the Bios must be set to do that.

It was.....

I can't explain it....but no way was that CD booting until after the HD
had the NT bootloader on it. That may have been a coincidence....but
seriously...I tried many times to boot that CD becasue it was my
understanding that you could do it.

It didn't work....so i went the Win98SE update route instead - which
eventually worked once I got the paritition requirements sorted out.

steve

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:12:55 +1300, DUser wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 12:28:20 +1300, steve wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:44:14 +1300, PseUDO wrote:
>>

>>> "steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> Can you get into the BIOS??, if you can then select your CD drive as the
>>> first boot device, then put in the XP CD and reboot , the system will see
>>> the XP CD and start to load windows.

>> That's a funny thing. I tried that and no way would it boot. This was a
>> system that used to have Linux on it with GRUB.
>>
>> But after a failed XP install, the NT bootloader was there and it then did
>> offer me the CD boot option.
>>
>> I must have tried to boot that CD at least 15 times - as I had been told
>> it was bootable.
>>
>> But it weren't bootin' fer me....not until the NT bootloader was installed.
>>
>>> It will then see that you have a previous copy of windows on their and ask
>>> you if you wish to do a clean install, say yes to that and then it will ask
>>> you for your 98 CD to verify that you qualify for the upgrade.

>> Yes...i saw that - but only after the circumstances described above.
>>
>>> After that it's pretty straight forward, just remember to either install a
>>> firewall, or activate the built in firewall before you go online to do any
>>> windows updates.
>>>
>>> You dont need to install 98SE first before you install XP.

>> It didn't work that way for me. XP wasn't booting from CD and the
>> setup.exe wouldn't work from the command line.
>>
>> Having nothing to compare this with...i can only tell you that's what
>> happened. Believe me - i tried to boot that CD more times than I can
>> rationally explain. It simply wasn't going to boot.
>>
>> Only after the NT bootloader was installed did that work.

> Maybe it needed that good old fdisk /mbr from 98 bootdisk

Could well be. maybe some remnant of GRUB was getting in the way.....but
you'd think that from a BIOS point of view, that would bne irrelevant. I
had the first two boot devices set to CDROMN at one point......thinking
maybe the drive was slow to respond or something.....though like I say - i
had no rational basis for thinking that.

steve

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:55:11 +1300, Dumdedo wrote:

> More Paranoia, what Back Door, ? I have not seen any real prof of this at all?
>
> Even with a quick scan on Google..

Not paranoia. The EULA requires you to give Microsoft root rights to your
PC for the purpose of updfating the software - or any thing they care to
do while messing with their operating system (which you have a license to
use).

Enkidu

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:26:34 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:27:55 +1300, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 12:16:03 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>OK...so your requirements are so minimal that Debian's default install
>>>works for you. It doesn't work for me.
>>>

>> There is no "minimum" default install. As part of the install process
>> it asks you what packages you want and where to get them from. You may
>> or may not recall entering the dselect process but it was there.
>>>
>>>What Woody 3.0r1 didn't have was any working support for a GF4-MX420
>>>video card and nForce2.
>>>

>> So use the VGA driver to get going!

>I'll have to try it again....it wasn't obvious and you know I've been
>playing with OSes for many years.....so I'm no newbie.

Yeah, I know you're no newbie. But even I know that the basic VGA
server works with almost anything! I've managed to install X from the
word go, by choosing a similar video card from the list.

>>>So a non-X install was the only option open to me....and I had to download
>>>the nvnet code separately and burn it to a CD and then install it.
>>>
>>>Sound? I like sound. I use Realpayer and I play DVDs and I play various
>>>media files.
>>>
>>>Sound is good and I want it.
>>>

>> I'd be surprised if you couldn't select whatever sound packages you
>> like in the dselect phase of the install.

>I probably did, too......but with no X it never got a chance.

So you're complaining about no sound, but you never got that far?
<grin>

Cheers,

Cliff
--

Christmas comes but once a year, thank the gods. I don't think
that I could cope with twice.

DUser

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:31:29 +1300, steve wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:12:55 +1300, DUser wrote:

>>> That's a funny thing. I tried that and no way would it boot. This was a
>>> system that used to have Linux on it with GRUB.
>>>
>>> But after a failed XP install, the NT bootloader was there and it then did
>>> offer me the CD boot option.
>>>
>>> I must have tried to boot that CD at least 15 times - as I had been told
>>> it was bootable.
>>>
>>> But it weren't bootin' fer me....not until the NT bootloader was installed.

>>> Yes...i saw that - but only after the circumstances described above.

>>> It didn't work that way for me. XP wasn't booting from CD and the
>>> setup.exe wouldn't work from the command line.
>>>
>>> Having nothing to compare this with...i can only tell you that's what
>>> happened. Believe me - i tried to boot that CD more times than I can
>>> rationally explain. It simply wasn't going to boot.
>>>
>>> Only after the NT bootloader was installed did that work.

>> Maybe it needed that good old fdisk /mbr from 98 bootdisk

> Could well be. maybe some remnant of GRUB was getting in the way.....but
> you'd think that from a BIOS point of view, that would bne irrelevant. I
> had the first two boot devices set to CDROMN at one point......thinking
> maybe the drive was slow to respond or something.....though like I say - i
> had no rational basis for thinking that.

The XP disk does give you the option of CD or HD boot, so it may not just
be a straightforward bootdisk.
I'm sure there are Windows gurus here that will have a definitive answer.

forensic analysis

"Dumdedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 23:17:27 +1300, steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> More Paranoia, what Back Door, ? I have not seen any real prof of this at

all?

> Even with a quick scan on Google..

Perhaps you need to refine your Google "keyword skills" ie backdoor nsa
windows operating system

http://www.heise.de/tp/english/inhalt/te/5263/1.html

Any proprietry closed-source US program that uses encryption is likely to
have a backdoor, particularly since 911. Just like the GCSB has decryption
manuals for monitoring "secure" Vodafone GSM.

E.

steve wrote:

> OK....I'm installing WinXP Home for the second time ever......and again
> I've struck some problems. (Last time, XP BSOD'd repeatedly until I
> dosconnected by Epson Inkjet - it was in the README....)
>
> This is an upgrade of a Win98SE system....and I chose the upgrade option
> instead of the fresh install option (that may have been a mistake).
>
> I also opted to download dynamic updates.....that may have been a
> mistake, too.....
>
> So far, the install has done the first re-boot and is now installing
> Windows....and has reported several files it can't copy from the CD:
>
> sapi.dl_
> filelist.xm_
> rstrui.dl_
> srframe.mm_
> srdiag.ex_
> airplane.bm_
>
> .....and about 20 moore before I finally said "screw this" and canned the
> setup.
>
> The CD has been in the box for 18 months - has been used only once and -
> to the eye - is in pristene, uncratched, unscuffed condition.
>
> I'll try it again with a fresh install.......who know? It might even work.

Often that sympton indicates dicky memory.
E.

steve

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:45:30 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> So you're complaining about no sound, but you never got that far?
> <grin>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

Debian didn't get that far.

I'm just the user.

Ray Colvill

Fixed my XP Pro setup by removing the memory chips 3x128 one by one until i
found the faulty one.
Strange that they all worked fine for two years with Win ME
XP must do it differently somehow

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com